Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Has anyone played around with the Beyma 5 in. coaxials ?

I’m a bit biased towards coax’s (and small full rangers for 300Hz+ coverage, but that’s another post…) and have played around with Celestion 6.5 in., KEF’s, and even the little Dayton Audio CX120 4in.   

And I’m a bit intrigued by the extended horn design of the Beyma 5CX200Nd, which attenuates the issue of the high frequencies dealing with a ‘moving waveguide’ (the mid or woofer if you will) as per many designs.  

Per its sheet https://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%205cx200nd-1.htm it looks to have fairly smooth off-axis response, and some potential ? for trying a fairly high 1st order crossover point as well.

Any thoughts? Thx

Comments

• Per OscarJr's advice, I have looked extensively at Beyma drivers, and they are seriously good engineering. I have not looked at or played with the coaxes. Too bad Usspeaker does not offer returns like PE! IIRC, they do charge a restocking fee on returns, so it might be reasonable to take the hit on that if the driver does not sound good to you. 
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Very nice specs on that driver, look at the Qms and Qes for instance...  Smooth impedance also.  First order crossover seems reasonable, with the flat impedance curve, and it appears that the response issues are more dips than spikes.
  • I haven't used Beyma but I have used this BMS 5cn162 and liked it.  A lot.
    http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=bms_5cn1620

PWRRYD
  • rjj45
    I'm thinking these might pair up with the MCM 8s you recommended, and now are sitting in my basement waiting patiently… 

rjj45
  • Go full bore - Beyma's all the way around!  =).
  • edited March 2020

I actually have the 12BR70s in my current open-back speakers (2 per side) and have been very happy with their performance.  But the better half 'offered up' to me they are pushing the limit (aka WAF, but I didn't let her in on that technical speaker acronym…).  So I'll take this as an opportunity to get started on another project, thinking something size-wise along the lines of the Harbeth Monitor 30.2’s (approx 11in x18in, by what depth models out), so the 8s will fit the bill... and perhaps on a ~JBL l100 style stands...

• tajanes said:

I actually have the 12BR70s in my current open-back speakers (2 per side) and have been very happy with their performance.  But the better half 'offered up' to me they are pushing the limit (aka WAF, but I didn't let her in on that technical speaker acronym…).  So I'll take this as an opportunity to get started on another project, thinking something size-wise along the lines of the Harbeth Monitor 30.2’s (approx 11in x18in, by what depth models out), so the 8s will fit the bill... and perhaps on a ~JBL l100 style stands...

Yeah, most wives really don't like refrigerator sized speakers in the living room. Can't figure that one out. <grin>
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • got work to do, but that's the fun of this hobby

• Surprised that the tweeter rolls off that high, but the woofer looks nice an smooth, typical Beyma quality.
    dcibel
  • Looks like you are off to a good start to me.  I would suggest adding a single cap to the tweeter and see what happens...
  • The posted frequency pic was measured at ~30in, 15 deg off axis, using an Lpad and a simple cap and coil

I've been playing with values for the cap/coil, and have been using an Lpad to adjust the tw level, but problematically find that the Lpad is affecting / limiting the roll-off slope of the tweeter? 

• tajanes said:

The posted frequency pic was measured at ~30in, 15 deg off axis, using an Lpad and a simple cap and coil

I've been playing with values for the cap/coil, and have been using an Lpad to adjust the tw level, but problematically find that the Lpad is affecting / limiting the roll-off slope of the tweeter? 

I can never remember which it is, but often in a tweeter crossover, placing the resistor before or after the cap results in very different responses. Easy to try.
  • Before usually does not tilt the response, and after, it tilts it down a bit.
    rjj45
  • edited March 2020

FYI

I've been listening /comparing the beyma coaxial 5’s  (for the mid/ top-end of a dual 12in beyma's woofer open back speaker set-up) on the left channel vs. the Celestion 6.5in coaxial on the right. 

An advantage of the miniDSP to bi-amp (active crossover btwn woofers and coaxs) is I can additionally DSP both channels to ~equilivant flat frequency and level response (measured at 15 degrees off axis).  

While I find both the Celestion and the beyma to provide solid, clean mid/hi (I cross each passively above 5gHz) I find the beyma’s with its extended tweeter horn design (the Celestion is also a horn design but terminates at the mid cone) to provide a bit broader off-axis control (less sharp roll-off).  

Coax’s provide some Xover challenges, but vs. displacement issues of seperated mid/tweeter designs…