Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Jeff Bagby

As some know, Jeff passed away this morning. Doctors said it was quick and painless. I have talked with Randy as well. I will share more as it becomes available. Please keep his wife and son in your thoughts and prayers. Unfortunately, they could not be there when he passed.

Comments

•  I’ve never met the man but have heard only great things about him as a person, and he has given so much to our community. On to a better place Jeff, rest peacefully.
  • Rest in peace, sir.
    I have a signature.
  • Sad
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Jeff was a great guy who loved to help others and share his knowledge.  Bill S. and I were just talking with Jeff this fall at Grand Rapids and he shared his tips on how to correctly blend woofer near field and far field together.  RIP Jeff.
  • Jeff will be remembered every time I measure or build a speaker, as i still predominantly use his tools and draw inspiration from his builds and designs
    GowaThumperTom
  • Great point Ani.
  • That sucks.
  • Crap!
    RIP, Jeff
  • Every once in a while I would search PETT for some obscure project or a theoretical discussion.
    Many times I found threads from 10 years ago where some N00B (sometimes it was me...) trying
    to argue with Jeff B about something that could not possibly be true. Jeff was ALWAYS unfailingly 
    polite and generous. One of the most patient engineers I've ever encountered.
    And also profoundly a man of faith. 
    I'll miss you, bud.  <3
    e6zion
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Very sad for such a talented, giving, and good natured guy to leave this earth so soon. 
  • Rough news.  Jeff will be missed for sure.  His contributions and enthusiasm for speaker building will endure on.  Best wishes to his family during this difficult time.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I knew Jeff for almost 20 years, he will be sorely missed.

I met Jeff first in text on the old Madisound BBS forum, around 1999, and then in person about a year later or so because he lived just shy of 2 hours away. I'll never forget hearing his 'Davids' (after his son who was 4 at the time) for the first time, and being totally impressed. Jeff modeled the xover for my first 'serious' build, and I still have the notes-package he gave me for that. He took me under his wing a bit when I was first starting out in the hobby, and I am far from the only person he helped along the way. Remarkable, selfless, generous, humble, honest, teaching, and sincere all describe this man I was lucky to call a friend. This is a true loss of a well admired peer and cohort.

As an example, he used to tell everyone that he wished he could tell them he taught me everything I know, smile, laugh, etc. He did teach me a lot though. Anything I'd bounce his way he'd answer thoroughly.

He loved his family, loved in faith, he loved his friends, and he loved designing speakers. My kind of guy.

Jeff- say hi to Matt for me, okay?
    See you 2 in a while...
    Wolf
    GowaPWRRYDe6zionThumperTomBryan@MAC
  • Awesome tribute Ben!  I'm sorry for your loss of your friends Matt and Jeff.  Take care buddy.
  • Having more recently got into the hobby, and only communicating with Jeff via correspondence, I was really looking forward to meeting the man.  He was always so patient, kind, and willing to teach--both speakers and his faith. In a community full of great guys, he was one of the best.

I feel for his family, and for many of you who genuinely lost a friend.
  • Can one of you please post the sad news on diyaudio?
  • It's there in the 'In Memoriam' section.
  • Wolf said:
    It's there in the 'In Memoriam' section.

Thanks, sorry I missed it.
  • He will be missed. He has given a lot to the diy speaker building community and more. God bless. 
  • I didn't see that coming! I thought he was getting better.  RIP Jeff.
  • Horrible shame.  I had only a few short interactions through PM with Jeff, but even with just those few words could tell he was a fantastic person who made the world a better place.

Condolences to those of you with much deeper roots with him.  :(
  • I guess Friday night the ventilator went back to 90% from the 45% he was at, and he was in a lot of pain and having trouble breathing regardless. Tapered off the ventilator over the next to days, and then his body just couldn't take any more. 

I know the last 5-6 years had been hard on him, and you could see him age considerably.
  • RIP Jeff. Only met the man once but it was a pleasure, and he's made huge contributions over the years. He will be sorely missed.
  • That is so sad.
    Nightingales for RAD is probably one of Jeff's final designs. I don't think he was feeling great even then but generously and excitingly created the kit.

• To my knowledge, the last one is the 3-ways his brother Randy is building. He may have had a stash of designs ready to build that never were. I know I do at the moment.
  • Wolf said:
    To my knowledge, the last one is the 3-ways his brother Randy is building. He may have had a stash of designs ready to build that never were. I know I do at the moment.
    Unfortunately, he did not get to finish the design for Randy. But it will be finished. I know Jeff did have most of the elements for his final, coup de grace design and definitely a host of great components in his stash as well. 
  • RIP Jeff.
  • Just out of curiosity how old was Jeff?
  • Just out of curiosity how old was Jeff?
  • I've been trying to come up with something eloquent to say about Jeff but it would only mimic what others have said. Jeff was a pillar in the DIY community and gave selflessly to us through software and a free gift of knowledge. My condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

Jim 
  • Big loss.......big loss.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.