Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New Music thread for Coronavirus Quarantine shut-ins

Bored being stuck inside? Time for a thread pointing others to some cool new music. Post an artist or album that most people might not know about.

I found this while watching one of Steve Guttenberg's videos. The track with Mavis Staples is great!

Galactic - Into the Deep

Comments

• I spent an hour listening to First Aid Kit today. Not particularly obscure, but not generally well known outside if alternative country music circles. 
    I have a signature.
  • Steep canyon rangers,  really enjoying banjo
    squamishdroc
  • I'm a Mavis Staples fan, saw her live a year ago with Johnny Lang, very good show!

I highly recommend listening to Mojo Juju's self titled album.

If you really want to get out there and wacky, turn on some Ween or maybe some King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard :)

Claypool Lennon Delirium?
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • brek81 said:
    Steep canyon rangers,  really enjoying banjo

Try The Lowest Pair, great couple with some banjos. Or if you really want to get adventurous, try Frank Fairfield.
    brek81
  • Back to Frank Zappa's Guitar. Never fails.
  • I've been sifting through our rather large collection, much of which I haven't listened to for years. I've re-discovered some great stuff:

The Cars

Lou Reed's 'Rock n Roll Animal' re-issue

Miles Davis 'Jack Johnson' and his live stuff from 1960-1

The Beatles' Anthology series

The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East 1970

In new-ish music, I 'discovered' Joe Bonamassa, Beth Hart and Chantel McGregor last year and I can't stop listening to Bryan Ferry's Live in Lyons.  Great stuff!

Geoff

tajanes
  • It took a long time for Lou Reed to grow on me. Funny you mention him - I was listening to Transformer last month. I think I still have that LP  in a box from my college days, but Spotify is so much more convenient than dusting off a turntable and cleaning a record.
    brek81
  • Tom_S said:
    It took a long time for Lou Reed to grow on me. Funny you mention him - I was listening to Transformer last month. I think I still have that LP  in a box from my college days, but Spotify is so much more convenient than dusting off a turntable and cleaning a record.

'Rock n Roll Animal' has some of the most spectacular guitar parts ever recorded on a live album, and the record sounds quite unlike 'Transformer', which I don't particularly like. The band is great and the re-issue sound is to me just about perfect, all that for $10 from amazon!

Value!

Geoff

• These guys got posted over on PETT - Chicago cover band from Russia - pretty good listen👍

• An oldie, that I finally found again. I never knew the artist when it was out almost 20 years ago. I was thinking and singing the lyrics to myself the other day, and I thought- it's worth a shot!
    Sarah Jahn:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z08W1aUDtG8&list=RD3y-9BQqxl3w&index=5
  • Correction, OVER 20 years ago. '95 was the demo on the air, and 97 was the release of Sparkle.
    Chronic is a good tune too...
  • Charlie Parr

• edited March 2020
    Little Hurricane

• Colter Wall

Gowa
  • Here' a link to a virtual orchestra/choir from Berklee school of music  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QagzdvzzHBQ

Once you've listened to that still on YouTube, look up blues/folk guitarist John Fahey
  • As near as I can tell Joan Chamorro is a music teacher in Spain who teaches jazz. There are a number of Youtube videos of his students. Everything from student jazz bands to performances like this with 4 students with pros doing the instrumentals.

TRISTE Alba Armengou Joan chamorro magia de la veu Èlia Bastida, Andrea Motis, Rita Payés

This is the Berklee School of music Indian Ensemble and World Strings. Lots of interesting instruments and lovely harmony's. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GWWcwpGosw

Playing For Change is a charity working to fund music education around the world. They have a lot of music collaborations with musicians from around the world on YouTube.

What's Going On | Playing For Change | Song Around The World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEp7QrOBxyQ

Enjoy,

Ron

• And she (Alba) can sing in Spanish as well. 

• That reminded me of Hancock's Imagine project. 

• Natalia Lafourcade on Austin City Limits. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zayX1YXiP6Y
  • Not exactly new music, but I'm going to post John Prine in here, great musician who is currently in critical condition battling Covid.

Gowa
  • A bit out of the ordinary.  They mix a little bluegrass, clean jokes, down-home country logic, and they are somewhat local. 

Gowa