Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Couple interesting things related to Dynavox

edited April 2020 in Related
I was taking a gander at the Dynavox lineup with JR having mentioned he is planning a build with their drivers. Couple interesting things I found.

It looks like the Dynavox build house is the oe for the Dayton RS woofers: 
https://www.lyeco.com.tw/awr-1.html

Dynavox has a cool 6” and 8” with an aluminum/nomex cone that PE doesn’t carry:
https://www.lyeco.com.tw/product-detail-2486402.html

They also make a very unique modern paper cone tweeter that I’d love to play around with: https://www.lyeco.com.tw/product-detail-2486404.html

Cool stuff!

Comments

• Mike Z used that tweeter, it had some issues. 

I would like to see PE or Newark expand their offerings of Dynavox. I would like to see some of the Lyeco standard drivers in stock as well. They build a ton of stuff for PE and the MCM Audio Select brands. 
    I have a signature.
  • Interesting, never knew that. What were the issues with the tweeter?
  • Some type of resonance peak that remained constant on and off axis. I believe he posted the project here, but not 100% sure.
    kenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • That’s a bummer it’s a cool concept to have a modern paper tweeter. Those aluminum/nomex woofers would be cool to play with.
  • dynamo said:
    That’s a bummer it’s a cool concept to have a modern paper tweeter. Those aluminum/nomex woofers would be cool to play with.
    I was scratching my head on those woofers - where is the Nomex, since they have an aluminum cone? Is the Nomex bonded to the back side of the cone?
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • It is advertised as a honeycomb construction, not sure how it works unless the aluminum is honeycombed and the cavities are filled with nomex fibers or even just an overlay. 
    I have a signature.
  • I’m almost thinking the cone is primarily hoNeycombed nomex with an aluminum foil bonded to its surface
  • Yeah, just don't go and mention that L word over on PETT. It's likely to get you kicked off the forum. I've known about them having the same origin as the Dynavox for quite awhile now. The first tent sale in 2004 (I think) had production samples without the Lyeco stickers removed. I still have my white-honeycomb drivers that have RS-woofer frames. I still need to get those built....
  • Wolf said:
    Yeah, just don't go and mention that L word over on PETT. It's likely to get you kicked off the forum. I've known about them having the same origin as the Dynavox for quite awhile now. The first tent sale in 2004 (I think) had production samples without the Lyeco stickers removed. I still have my white-honeycomb drivers that have RS-woofer frames. I still need to get those built....

Lol, well what happens on MAC DIY stays on MAC DIY  B)    

It’s nothing to be ashamed of by any means, its apparent they chose a good build house. The world knows those drivers aren’t made in a Dayton factory, but I totally get how the business world works. It’s cool to have a place like this to discuss things that are taboo on other forums.
    rjj45
  • edited April 2020
    I'm sure there are quite a few lurkers from PETT that read everything we post here.  Don't blame them, nothing too exciting going on at PETT these days.  I used to check it several times a day.  Now I just check for new posts once a day, and I'm usually done looking after about 2 minutes.  Definitely not like the old days.  Thanks JR for providing us this forum.
    rjj45
  • edited April 2020
    Yeah I was just being funny. The internet is a fishbowl for all to see. My point is the drivers are good, as are the Dynavox, so it would be silly for them to get upset over, but I get why they could. I always wondered who made their stuff. 
  • It's not that it's silly to get upset for being in the family with Dynavox. That's not the beef. The beef is that if suppliers are revealed, then their customer can go to the supplier and just omit PE.  Since PE staff designed the drivers, it is their intellectual property, but that doesn't mean the build house won't sell that same product they manufacture to other customers. Doing business with China sometimes means that ethics goes out the window.
  •  ... not that PE doesn't copy, or make their own 'house branded' products that mimic other brand's products.    
  • ....and has for decades now;
    Titanic 1200 = NHT1259
    12" DVC = Adire Shiva
    15" DVC = Adire Tempest
    Silkie = Morel
    RS midbasses = Seas Excel/Gradient Axis
    Euro tweeter = Seas T25
    Euro woofer = SS 8545K
    Esoteric tweeter = SB29R
    Esoteric midbass - Morel 
    AMT1-4 = Mundorf AMT

I'm sure there are more....

PWRRYDrjj45
  • Makes sense, never thought of it that way. I intend no harm toward PE, so if a mod wants to dumb down my posts as to not point toward the PE drivers please do. 
  • Just saying ... ethics and all ...
  • No worries, this is an absolutely open forum. 
    I guess if a guy wanted to sell drivers or spec one out for a commercial build and hasn't heard of Lyeco, shouldn't be in the business to begin with. 

Not sure why PE would pretend Lyeco is some secret... Anyways, MOQ puts most of us well out of reach of trampling PE's tenuous IP on their driver designs.
    I have a signature.
  • https://en.lyeco.com.tw/product-detail-2418527.html

For shits and giggles, I sent a RFQ for two samples and for pricing/MOQ etc. This one looks very interesting, uses a 152mm frame, factory cut sheet looks promising, and it has a dead sexy woven CF cone to boot. 

I'll let you know. Last time I reached out regarding a few drivers no longer listed in their site, the MOQ was Qty: 250 so here's hoping. 
    ani_101dynamoS7910
    I have a signature.
  • dynamo said:
    I’m almost thinking the cone is primarily hoNeycombed nomex with an aluminum foil bonded to its surface
    Silly me. Of course that is the way they made the cone.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • So with a 3-inch voice coil has anyone removed the dust cap? How big of a tweeter can I stuff in there?
    dynamo
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • dynamo said:

It looks like the Dynavox build house is the oe for the Dayton RS woofers: 
    https://www.lyeco.com.tw/awr-1.html

Esoteric too I would suspect. Does no one see the similarities?

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Check out the "carbon fiber" series on the Lyeco page - they use a concave, one piece CF cone much like the Epique from Dayton. 
    I have a signature.
  • Looks cool....
    The 5.25" Epique is both concave and convex.

John- the Dyn 3" VC drivers are 1-piece cones. You might have trouble doing a capectomy for a coax conversion.
  • Those Dynavox are some good looking drivers!
  • And they sound nice too. I think the biggest thing that turns people off when woofer shopping is the puny published Xmax of the woofers (<3mm). This however is not an issue at all in reality. The 6” poly cone ones I used had plenty of clean solid bass, and never had any mechanical issues when pushed hard.
  • Agreed! The old lw5004 would just dig in a 15ltr box.
  • Wolf said:
    ....and has for decades now;
    Titanic 1200 = NHT1259
    12" DVC = Adire Shiva
    15" DVC = Adire Tempest
    Silkie = Morel
    RS midbasses = Seas Excel/Gradient Axis
    Euro tweeter = Seas T25
    Euro woofer = SS 8545K
    Esoteric tweeter = SB29R
    Esoteric midbass - Morel 
    AMT1-4 = Mundorf AMT

I'm sure there are more....

... RS28 = Usher
  • But that is not a copy of another driver from another company. The RS28A/F was MADE by Usher. The RS52 is MADE by Peerless India. This is why I did not post those in the list.
  • I stand corrected. I knew it was made by Usher, but didn't know that it wasn't a copy of the 9950.

Thanks for the tidbit on the RS52. I guess coming from that build house explains sufficiently why it is what it is.