Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (9)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Settling on a concept

So, I am getting closer to the point that I can make some sawdust - plus a local friend just bought a 4x8 and a 4x4 CNC that he is wanting to put to work. The 4x4 has a 4-axis head on it, so there is some possibility for making the facets I want. Anyways. 

I think the big Viawave loaded in a waveguide will offer enough sensitivity to do a 2.5 TMM with the 8" CF Rival woofers, and play low enough to blend well. I am still doing some ciphering on that combo, but I believe it will yield a very high-end tower capable of playing below 30Hz etc. Alternatively, I have those hugeass Beston things that would work from a sensitivity and playing low enough perspective. Benefit to those is they are already loaded into a waveguide. 

Another alternative is to go sealed with the 8" (approximately 50-55Hz with a Q of 0.7), and fill out the bottom octave or so with the "Scan Speak" 10" subs I bought. 

Anyways, this is a place holder for an eventual build thread. Even if I could finish by Iowa - I won't be hauling them anywhere. 
I have a signature.

Comments

• what's the cnc with the 4 axis head?

The designs look good.... I am planning to get the SRT-7, but not sure about the waveguide or how low it can be pushed. Did you explore that option? Going 1600-1800 would be ideal for me in waveguide with the SRT-7 provided that distortion doesn't get out of shape.
  • JR, have you thought about having the wave guid cnc cut into the baffle? That would be a super clean look. This might open up some options for better ctc spacing while still having the wave guid. 
  • I'm not sure, I like the monococque cabinet approach. Removable panels just don't sit right with me. 
    I have a signature.
  • I was thinking something like the Dutch and Dutch 8c. Make that in solid 8/4 walnut would be epic!
    jhollander