Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Gentoo fullrange 2 inch PE buyout

edited July 2020 in DIY
There has been some interest in this little (and I do say LITTLE) guy. 

https://www.parts-express.com/gento-sp99023a-2-paper-cone-full-range-speaker-4-ohm--299-546

Fs is quite a bit higher than specified, but generally pretty smooth, and with surprisingly low distortion.
Not sure how I could add mass to the little cone for independent T/S specs, so nothing on that front.
Pretty efficient, should make for a nice CBT array, but the terminals are TINY, and do not look amenable to a press fit connector.
Good airflow for a pressed steel basket

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
Tagged:

Comments

• edited July 2020
    Any idea what the dip is above 1kHz?  What are the mounting conditions for your measurements?
  • Your fingers look like giant fingers holding that thing.  Thanks for the measurements.  Does this thing really take that large of a box?
  • edited July 2020
    DanP said:
    Any idea what the dip is above 1kHz?  What are the mounting conditions for your measurements?

Probably more critical is the measurement conditions. OM, of course, about 6 inches from the cone on axis
    I would have measured closer, but that has the tendency to roll off the highs, and I wanted to capture that range.

Hot glued roughly to a small PE box, stuffed with some polyfill. Driver flange maybe 1/6 above surface.

dcibel
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Kornbread said:
    Your fingers look like giant fingers holding that thing.  Thanks for the measurements.  Does this thing really take that large of a box?
    I haven't run the Unibox models, but with a Fs at about 350Hz, can't be very big.
  • edited July 2020
    Was thinking around ~1L.  Seems like a lot for such a tiny thing.  When dealing with something like a line array where each individual driver will likely be way underdriven; how important is fs?  This question also for the 4" buyout.  Haven't made up my mind which driver.  Of course the 4" would need some cheap tweeters.     
  • I think 1L is way too big for this guy, but maybe the high QTS would require that. I don't know if that dip at 1.5K would be a problem - maybe BSC would bring that up a bit. Yeah, the 4 inch would need a tweeter as far as I understand.
    The problem to me is the high Fs - 350Hz is lot higher than 150-200. You wouldn't want to run a sub up to 400 or so, you'd need a woofer Dunno.
  • I'll start a new thread here. I got QTY 52 of the 2 inch BMR, and I'm going to build a CBT24. I'm pumped for that build.
    And yeah, I'll need a nice 12 inch sub for it.   B)
    joeybutts
  • I guess you are all set then !!!
    rjj45