Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Curiosity was killing me.

I went and bought a HF HVLP turbine sprayer kit. Here’s me spraying with for the first time and my thoughts.

Tagged:
ani_101jhollanderkenrhodesjholtztajanes4thtryScottS

Comments

• Seems like you had to tailor whatever you were shooting to fit the unit. This makes me wonder what kind of results the target consumer, one that knows very little about spraying, might achieve without your vast knowledge of the things that make or break a good paint job.

• That was a good review. Thanks Brad.

Could you explain the part about the reducer and increasing the ratio. What are you looking for to get the ratio right?

• @Kornbread said:
    Seems like you had to tailor whatever you were shooting to fit the unit. This makes me wonder what kind of results the target consumer, one that knows very little about spraying, might achieve without your vast knowledge of the things that make or break a good paint job.

Well even a rattle can that I might hold 6” away from the material and others are 10-12” away is tailoring the way it will sprays. And as for my vast knowledge of painting, it came at a cost, I’ve had lots of bad days in the last 22 years. I’m just trying to help anyone that wants to learn and that it doesn’t take thousands of dollars to achieve good results. It takes practice = knowledge.

• @ani_101 said:
    That was a good review. Thanks Brad.

Could you explain the part about the reducer and increasing the ratio. What are you looking for to get the ratio right?

Good question. All the primers, basecoats and clears come with recommended mixing ratio on the can. And that’s exactly how I mixed them. By adding or putting additional reducer in the formula helps its spray ability.
    I chose SLOW reducer because it does two things, it thins the paint for spray ability (better atomization). SLOW reducer also help melt any big droplets of paint on the material ( flatten any texture). And this unit needed the help.
    VERY FAST reducers mostly only help in spray ability, as the reducer tends to evaporate before it lands on the material.
    There is no ratio for what i additionally added. The coat I did previous to it, told me what I needed.
    To textured = add a little reducer
    To wet looking = turn the fluid needle in.

ani_101
  • Hi Brad, do you foresee any issue with spraying wood finished, such as lacquer, shellac or water based varnish?

These type might work given they are portable and not much layout. Though I would like something a bit more substantial than the HF system.

If you know of a better system or brand please let me know, I'll start looking into them. At some point however a compressor based system might be more versatile and flexible...! The Fuji systems are mega bucks!!!

• Brad, considering what the turbine sprayer cost ($100) and what a cheap HF spray gun and compressor costs (<$200), which way would you go?

• edited July 2020

Compressor, if I had nothing to start with. More versatile. > @Kornbread said:

Brad, considering what the turbine sprayer cost ($100) and what a cheap HF spray gun and compressor costs (<$200), which way would you go?

jholtzani_101
  • @ani_101 said:
    Hi Brad, do you foresee any issue with spraying wood finished, such as lacquer, shellac or water based varnish?

These type might work given they are portable and not much layout. Though I would like something a bit more substantial than the HF system.

If you know of a better system or brand please let me know, I'll start looking into them. At some point however a compressor based system might be more versatile and flexible...! The Fuji systems are mega bucks!!!

Considering this HF unit is entry level and I believe a 1 stage turbine. Any 2-6 stage one should be better. I’m going to try some BIN primer through it this week sometime.

jhollanderani_1014thtry
  • Just watched this for the 2nd time. Great review. Thanks for sharing. Lots of small, subtle tips when spraying multiple coats of primer, base, and clear. I like how you turned the unit off immediately between coats to keep the air cool. Sounds like my shop vacuum; very loud. I often get the same hiccup type sputtering problem with my HF HVLP gun if the tip gets loose.

hifiside

• Local marketplace. Brand new I had to have it.

jhollanderkenrhodesani_101
  • Assume this is better built than the HF one?

• @ani_101 said:
    Assume this is better built than the HF one?

Yes. 2 stage turbine, metal gun body, stainless needle and nozzle and can buy upgradable parts for different materials.

ani_101
  • Have you had a chance use it? I've been looking at it as a "mid-price entry" (for me) into HVLP painting and it seems to get a lot favorable reviews. Interested in what you think. I also see Earlex has similar product at the same price, except it's a 3-stage.

• @Ed_Perkins said:
    Have you had a chance use it? I've been looking at it as a "mid-price entry" (for me) into HVLP painting and it seems to get a lot favorable reviews. Interested in what you think. I also see Earlex has similar product at the same price, except it's a 3-stage.

Haven’t had a chance yet. Soon I will tho.