Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Tweeter Suggestions for Dayton RS180P-8

edited February 2021 in DIY

Hi all

I have a pair of RS180P-8s, was going to pair them with the Peerless DA25BG08-06 aluminium dome tweeters for a bookshelf project, but have now used those in Craig's excellent Zenvos two ways with the Peerless 830656.

The project is for a family friend who loves our Slapshot MTMs (RS180P and Morel CAT378) but can't stretch to that $$ level as the Morels are $A100 here.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for a different tweeter, the budget is $A40 (about $US30) per unit. Due to high international postage costs, I'm limited to what's locally available. This means Vifa/Tymphany, SB Acoustics or Dayton as the Peerless DA25s aren't available here.

This rather narrows down the choices to:

SB26ST-C000-5
SB19ST (I think this was the Iron Driver in a recent competition)

Vifa XTSC90-04 (have used in Ron E's C-notes, like the sound but may not be crossover-able low enough?
Vifa TC7 (not a dome, but apparently very good sound and performance if off-axis response isn't important)

Dayton ND28F-6
Dayton DC28F (probably not high enough quality to match with the RS180P)

Suggestions and comments welcome, thank you!

Geoff

Comments

• It' awfully hard to beat SB in that price range. I'm fond of the SB26TCN, but I can't tell you why it's better than the SB26ST

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Given those choices I'd grab a SB.

• Can you get the Beastmode tweeter? DX25BG60-04

• @PWRRYD said:
    Can you get the Beastmode tweeter? DX25BG60-04

Good choice.

I have a signature.
  • JohnHollander's 'Seriatim' uses the 180P and the RT1.3 planar.

• Thank you all for your suggestions!

Unfortunately I can't source the RT1.3 locally and the DX25 is A$60, it's only sold as a Scan-Speak.

The Peerless DA25 is listed on Digikey.au but is out of stock until a date tba, perhaps patience is called for as I really like it.

The Vifa BC25TG is also available here, but it's not quite in the same league sound quality-wise as the DA25.

Will investigate the SBs:

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/sb26st-c000-5-sb-acoustics-1-dome-tweeter-st
    http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/sb26stc-c000-4-sb-acoustics-1-dome-tweeter-stc

Thanks again

Geoff

• I've liked every SB tweeter I've heard. Chuck Morris used the SB26STAC-C000-4 and it sounded great.

• @PWRRYD said:
    I've liked every SB tweeter I've heard. Chuck Morris used the SB26STAC-C000-4 and it sounded great.

Thanks Craig, I haven't used an SB tweeter yet but have used the SB16pfc, it sounds good and is nicely made. I'm not sure, but I think SB's designers used to work for a famous Scandinavian company.

Geoff

PWRRYD
  • I should have mentioned that our friend's current speakers begin with a 'B'....!

Geoff

• Hi Geoff. Not sure if it's available to you or affordable but I used the SB26STCN-C000-4 in my Jonquils project (w/ RS150P). They are super smooth, lots of detail, and really low distortion. It is a small frame driver so visually it might look a bit out of place next to the much larger RS180P but they should meet up nicely crossover wise.
    Craig

• @PWRRYD said:
    Hi Geoff. Not sure if it's available to you or affordable but I used the SB26STCN-C000-4 in my Jonquils project (w/ RS150P).
    Craig

Thanks Craig, they are available, slightly over budget at A$50 but that could work for us.

Geoff

• The SB19ST was the iron driver in 2015. My entry placed a very close 2nd that year. I also used it in my 2018 entry that won. I used a 6.5" Peerless Nomex woofer in my 2015 entry but don't know where I crossed it. My 2018 entry is the sound for our living room and I listen to them daily. I like them a lot.

Ron

• I have used the SB19 and theSB26stcn - both great drivers. Would probably go for the 26 if mating up to the 180.

• @Ron_E said:
    The SB19ST was the iron driver in 2015. My entry placed a very close 2nd that year. I also used it in my 2018 entry that won. I used a 6.5" Peerless Nomex woofer in my 2015 entry but don't know where I crossed it.

Ron

Thanks Ron, I've seen your write up of the 2015, "The Champs", I think? Look very nice indeed.

I'll have a look at how the SB19 and SB26 might meet up with the RS180P; one of those looks like the way to go.

Cheers

Geoff

• @squamishdroc said:
    I have used the SB19 and theSB26stcn - both great drivers. Would probably go for the 26 if mating up to the 180.

Thanks, being a 1" instead of a 3/4" it might be easier to cross over.

Geoff

• Well good thing is you could fart in a cup and sound better than what he has....

• My choice, if you can, would be the sb26stac. Its lower Fs makes it a little better choice with the RS180. Or the ScanSpeak R2604/8330.

• @isaeagle4031 said:
    My choice, if you can, would be the sb26stac. Its lower Fs makes it a little better choice with the RS180. Or the ScanSpeak R2604/8330.

Thanks, unfortunately they're both over budget here at $60 and $85 respectively: the tyranny of distance and exchange rates.

Geoff

• @6thplanet said:
    Well good thing is you could fart in a cup and sound better than what he has....

? I'm lost ...

• edited February 2021

Geoff's friend currently has a pair of Bloze... (no highs, no lows, sounds like Bose).

And the funny part is 6thplanet works for Bose!

GeoffMillarrjj45
  • Aha! That was the B... word. Didn't make the connection from the work humor thread.

• I think I've put this comment up already under a different post, but a current TV ad about a Nissan something has a bloke saying 'you know, the sickest (i.e. coolest) thing about this car is it has a B*** speaker in it'. If that's the best thing about the car.....

Geoff

• Bose has come a long way since the wave radio. They're not exactly a hifi brand, but a car with a Bose stereo is no worse than my laptop with Bang & Olufsen audio. It's just marketing to attach a name brand to the otherwise mediocre OEM equipment. On the other hand, Nissan has got a lot worse over the years. At least the GT-R is still cool though, right? ;)

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited February 2021

@dcibel said:
    Bose has come a long way since the wave radio. They're not exactly a hifi brand, but a car with a Bose stereo is no worse than my laptop with Bang & Olufsen audio. It's just marketing to attach a name brand to the otherwise mediocre OEM equipment. On the other hand, Nissan has got a lot worse over the years. At least the GT-R is still cool though, right? ;)

My 2015 Nissan Leaf stereo is pretty pitiful, and no good way to upgrade it!
    I did hookup a Bose wave in my woodshop, and it's not too bad

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Their stuff is ok. Def over priced for what you get. Buy Other Sound Equipment

• I see what you did.
    Please never stop...

• Built Of Surplus Excrement
    Bent Over Sexual Experience

there are more...

• edited February 2021

As much fun as it is to cut on their products, I have to say it's been great working for them. They've really taken care of us through this whole pandemic crap. Overall they pay well, great insurance / benefits, and vacation / PTO time.

They have and had some innovative automotive stuff. The audio side isn't just branded OEM, they have a lot of say in what goes into the system, as well as proprietary hardware and software. Wether you like it is obviously personal preference😉
    If you've never seen the video of their active suspension, search it. Pretty neat, not sure what BS happened to not become a thing. Also they had a "road noise" cancelling seat for semi trucks. That was really cool, but I think cost had a factor in it's demise.

Anyways, sorry for the derail.... unfortunately Bose does not have a suitable tweeter for your project. Side note, they actually do have soft dome tweets in a few of the soundbars and inwall speakers👍🏻 Oh and a couple of those soundbar tweets are in a nifty waveguide that aims the sound.

dcibelBillet