Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Wavecor SW270WA01 10" Subwoofer, 4 ohm

edited April 2021 in Hard Data

I recently picked up this driver here: wavecor.com/html/sw270wa01.html

I also noted the specs there are a bit sparse, so I wonder how much testing they did on the produced drivers at all. Some pics, it's a nice looking driver though it isn't cheap by any means:

Finally broke out the LIMP jig and measured it without any break-in today:

Measured T/S params with unbaffled added mass method:

Fs = 29.95 Hz
Re = 3.20 ohm[dc]
Le = 499.22 uH
L2 = 620.97 uH
R2 = 14.74 ohm
Qt = 0.48
Qes = 0.49
Qms = 13.60
Mms = 92.23 grams
Rms = 1.370218 kg/s
Cms = 0.306106 mm/N
Vas = 41.59 liters
Sd= 311.03 cm^2
Bl = 10.609166 Tm
ETA = 0.22 %
Lp(2.83V/1m) = 89.46 dB

Added Mass - Constant Bl Method:
Driver unbaffled
Added mass = 32.00 grams
Membrane Diameter= 19.90 cm

Looks good to me, models well in 60 liters vented, tuned to 26 hz. That gives a nice F3 of 23 hz and 200 watts power-handling for 108db, though it unloads pretty quickly under 20 hz.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
Tagged:

Comments

• Nice. Looks like there is some well thought out shorting rings in there - that, and the 89db sensitivity should give it some flexibility on large 3-way speakers as well as a dedicated subwoofer.

I have a signature.
  • Damn sight better looking than the new LE-MAX subs from Dayton, that's for sure.

I have a signature.
  • Stamped frame and expensive?

• edited April 2021

@Kornbread said:
    Stamped frame and expensive?

That is a fair knock against this driver, but I can say that it is the most rigid stamped frame I've held in hand. With the cheaper Dayton larger drivers I've always been able to feel just the smallest flex, none of that here.

But yep, more expensive than the similar sized cast frame Dayton Reference, but you know how Wavecor rolls.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Ex Vifa engineers involved , or at least one that I know of , if he is still there ... coolio looking driver Jason

• This line of Wavecor subs is really impressive. Not only is the stamped frame extra stout, it's also very well ventilated. The crazy high Qms means very little mechanical loss from the suspension and Wavecor's build quality is excellent. It's still a tough pill to swallow to lay out that kind of cheese for a stamped frame reg'lar looking sub, but the performance/$ ratio is definitely there. The SW168 Klippeled at 12-13mm or something crazy, but I haven't seen any independent reports on the SW270. Let us know what you think when you get ears on it.

• That is what I was thinking when I saw the driver Dan (and your data / build on the smaller model). I think the high Qms, low moving mass (for it's size) is promising. Plus it modeled well in a smallish ported box even on published specs (better on measured), and I think based what I see in the design of the soft parts it'll be hard to bottom out. The spider seems quite short and manually moving the cone it seems to lockup pretty nicely about 15mm one-way.

Building the box now, and yes I'll report back later.

• @DanP said:
    This line of Wavecor subs is really impressive. Not only is the stamped frame extra stout, it's also very well ventilated. The crazy high Qms means very little mechanical loss from the suspension and Wavecor's build quality is excellent. It's still a tough pill to swallow to lay out that kind of cheese for a stamped frame reg'lar looking sub, but the performance/$ ratio is definitely there. The SW168 Klippeled at 12-13mm or something crazy, but I haven't seen any independent reports on the SW270. Let us know what you think when you get ears on it.

Just initial impressions tonight, but so far, the cleanest subwoofer I've had in my care. I have it in a 66L braced particle board box with a 3.5" port tuned to 30 Hz (tuned high, heavily damped). I'm driving it with a Crown using DSP that rolls off bass at 30 hz LR4. Sounds so clean. I'll collect more data in the coming weeks and post here.

dcibelDanPjoeybutts