Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

LaVoce WAN123.00 12" Neodymium Woofer 8 Ohm $85 on Clearance. Good Deal?

Hello, I am thinking of making party speakers. Something like a ION speaker, Only good. I was watching the Dayton Pro 12" woofer as a great budget driver for this but the price keeps climbing. $99 currently. Looking for alternatives I ran across this LaVoce 12" woofer. Specs are better and the price seems very good for a pro Neodymium driver. WinISD shows a F3 of 56hz in a 1.75cf box tuned to 54hz. 114db at 100 watts and 500 watt power handling before hitting xmax.
I would plan the cross this over to a horn at around 1500 hz.

The question is would this work? Is it a good value?

Thanks!

Comments

• Holy crap, where they at for $85?

• Open box at PE.

• Those would be kick ass for bass guitar. I imagine they'd work for your project too with the right mid/tweet combo.

• I have a complete speaker frim these now. Currently in my living room HT. I relay like the speaker. My wife does not. To big I think. She prefers the TriTrix tall boys.

I ended up using JBL 220Ti compression drivers with an 18 Sound horn. Only 4 crossover components needed.

They do not sound like "pro audio cabs". They work great for home theater and never break a sweat even when I try. I enjoy music on them also. I have full BSC and a f3 of about 55hz.

I plan on bringing them to Meniscus on friday of their event. Unfortunately I can't be there Saturday.

TimsieSteve_Lee
  • I'll bet they sound great and the midbass is sweet.
    Are you using subs with them for the bottom octave?
    Got any pics?

• Not to hijack your thread, but I just found 2 PRV 6MR500-NDY mids on open box clearance, and ordered them due to pretty flat FR, claimed low distortion, 95 dB sensitivity, and QMS incredible value of 22.7. Looking forward to exploring high sensitivity designs. Figure I'll put a 15" woofer near the floor to minimize BSC.

duanebroWolfSteve_Lee
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Is that the carbon fiber or paper version ring mag driver?

• @Wolf said:
    Is that the carbon fiber or paper version ring mag driver?

Paper cone - there is a different version 6MT500CF-NDY with carbon fiber ($300)

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I have the 5 1/4 in version of what you got I haven't used them yet but I want to.

PWRRYDrjj45