Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The passing of a good piece of equipment.

After 23 years of service my Ryobi table saw has cut its last piece of lumber. The ceremony was short - a trip to the curb and little MDF dust tossed to the breeze. I'll remember all the good times; it's inability to cut a straight line due to the wobbly blade, the fence that was always an eighth inch off, the time it kicked back a big sheet and drew blood through two layers of clothes, it's strange safety switch that occasionally powered up in the middle of the night. Ahh, the memories.

So now I need to replace my most valuable and volatile piece of shop equipment (all due respects to the router and twelve thousand clamps).

Any suggestions? New? Used? $300-$500 preferred.

Maybe I should start a Go Fund Me? ;)

Thanks,
Marty

4thtrySilver1omo

Comments

• Ummm, Craigslist for a used cabinet saw. Grizzly, Jet, etc can sometimes be found cheap.
    I saw Izzy Swan show a great mag-lock feather board, and it requires a steel table top to lock on.
    And yeah, get that GofundMe going. You need a set of those Purifi drivers!

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • The way I look at it is that unless you're wanting to get a fancy Sawstop, a used table saw is definitely the most cost effective solution. I bought a used saw for CAD$200 that had a good surface, bearings etc all good and beefy motor that can be wired for 110V or 220V, but the fence had a broken bushing so it wouldn't clamp down straight. Upgraded with the Accusquare fence for $300 and replaced the V-belt with a link belt and I couldn't imagine a better saw for $500.

rjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I agree with finding a good used saw on Craigslist or the local classifieds. I bought a 3 Hp Craftsman with a large cast iron top. I got it really cheap ($50) because the top had surface rust, the stock fence was basically broken, and it was missing the drive belt. The top just took some elbow grease to clean up and polish. The V-belt was $12 at Farm and Fleet. Then I bought a really nice Sawstop rip fence for it for around $200 (floor model at Woodcraft in Madison). I can't see me ever needing anything better than this saw.

rjj45
  • I've been happy with my Bosch table saw. When I bought mine it was within your budget but they go for $600 now.

Ron

• I have one of these saws - they can be found on clearance at some HD for $4-500 - they can be a little finicky to setup but mine has been great.

https://homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13-Amp-10-in-Professional-Cast-Iron-Table-Saw-R4520/309412843

• The Dewalt contractor saws would work in that price range. You will probably have to step up to 600-700 for a new Bosch, Rigid, others. Used saws are great if you have the inclination to fix stuff and the ability to pick it up. I'm saving my money for a new cabinet saw and edge planer.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I have a large, cast iron Mao Shan that I picked up about 30 years ago for about $250. Works well, but the fence is totally worthless. Not recommended.

• The fence is key for any tablesaw. An old cast iron tablesaw retrofitted with a Biesemyer type fence would be on the top of my list for an inexpensive saw.

• Thanks Guys! The Facebook marketplace has been interesting but there's a lot of junk and a lot of overpriced "I know what I have so don't try to lowball me!" stuff. I'll probably look for something used and rebuild it.

Anybody got a pickup truck I could borrow?? ;)

• As luck would have it, I just burnt out the motor on the cheap Menard's special table saw. Guess I'm also in the market.

• Can you not just replace the motor ?

• I'll have to check to be sure, but would wager replacing the motor would cost as much as just searching marketplace or craigslist for something used, and probably better.

• A new 2HP motor looks to be in the $200 range on Amazon.

• That's more than I paid for the saw.

• @MartyH said:
    Thanks Guys! The Facebook marketplace has been interesting but there's a lot of junk and a lot of overpriced "I know what I have so don't try to lowball me!" stuff. I'll probably look for something used and rebuild it.

Anybody got a pickup truck I could borrow?? ;)

Dude, for a quality cabinet saw, you not only need a pickup, you need 3 college football players to move it.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • After checking out a couple of local saws I decided that there was no need to adopt somebody else's problems, so I went with a new one. Works like a dream and was actually able to cut squared pieces for a change! Quite pleases so far.

Silver1omorjj454thtrysquamishdroc
  • Worm drive for the win. I'm going to buy the Skil worm drive 12" compound miter at some point.

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • OMG, now I know how you guys build so well. I actually have a saw where the blade is parallel to the fence and can actually cut through something more solid than warm butter. Who knew this could be so easy???

Silver1omorjj45
  • edited December 2021

My old table saw blade was way overdue for retirement, so I splurged on an Amana Prestige blade recommended by Izzy Swan. Sheesh, cuts through baltic birch ply like butter! Well worth the cost.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P4QD3E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• I have a 60T Diablo blade in my old cast iron Craftsman. I run it through a power strip on a 15A breaker, and I've only tripped it 3 times. 2 were when cutting the laminated HDF on the Tandems that are still in progress. It's been a great saw, even if i have to measure to both sides of the blade.

rjj45
  • @Wolf said:
    I have a 60T Diablo blade in my old cast iron Craftsman. I run it through a power strip on a 15A breaker, and I've only tripped it 3 times. 2 were when cutting the laminated HDF on the Tandems that are still in progress. It's been a great saw, even if i have to measure to both sides of the blade.

I'm running the saw and a Craftsman shop-vac off a single 15A power strip and having no issues. I am very pleased with this new saw!

rjj45
  • Been using my track saw alot. Takes up less space than my tablesaw (no room for an outfeed table). So i prefer it for cutting down panels.

jhollander
  • Do you still have your CNC Mike?

• I do, but I havent used it in over a year now as i got into other hobbies.