Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Mount advice

edited April 2022 in Related

Hey gang, long time no real speaker stuff (except killing a 10f in shipment, sorry Nate ☹️). You’ll see why in a second and part of the reason for this post.

I’ve built out my backyard and will be soon putting speakers out by the tv. Problem being its asymmetrical and in a funky location. 99% set on building the keramiskas. But my question is mounting. Ive used pinpoint brand mounts(hang off wall, speaker sits on it and is clamped at base) but think they are a bit cumbersome for this, so was thinking a french cleat and super custom cabinets to tuck them in.

Whaddya think? (Dont mind the lunatic in the one pic)

4thtryrjj45

Comments

• edited April 2022

I would build custom cabs with slanted bottoms, secured in place with a ledge type end board screwed along the edge of the fireplace stone. Gravity would hold the speakers in place, so you could place them on the ledges when needed and then bring the speakers back inside when not in use.

Nice fireplace and backyard. How big is the pool?

• When it comes to hanging speakers, I'm a belt and suspenders type of guy.
    I would probably put eye bolts in the back top of the speakers, then heavy duty hooks
    on a board next to the tv. Nice backyard!

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @4thtry said:
    I would build custom cabs with slanted bottoms, secured in place with a ledge type end board screwed along the edge of the fireplace stone. Gravity would hold the speakers in place, so you could place them on the ledges when needed and then bring the speakers back inside when not in use.

Shoot, the only thing I’d like to not do is secure anything to the fireplace. Do you by chance have a picture or example? Maybe if i saw it I would be open to it.

Appreciate it and kind words! Pool is 12x25, big tanning ledge, only ~7500 gallons. We’re absolutely loving it.

• @rjj45 said:
    When it comes to hanging speakers, I'm a belt and suspenders type of guy.
    I would probably put eye bolts in the back top of the speakers, then heavy duty hooks
    on a board next to the tv. Nice backyard!

Funny enough, i thought of that when i was typing the OP, maybe use some guide/fly wire. Or straight hardware like you mentioned! I think tomorrow im going to draw out some cab dimensions and see how things would/could fit and how'd they look. Appreciate it guys and if you have any other ideas please dont hesitate!

• edited April 2022

Give you an idea of the soace. Just looking for solid, clean, intelligible full sound on the patio space. I’ve got a pair of DIYSG volt8’s on the shed facing the pool for partying or full backyard sound. (Please ignore the mess of stuff, i just poured the pad for pool and outdoor gear!)

rjj454thtry
  • so, what time is the pool party this Sat?

joeybutts
  • Maybe something like this from Monoprice would work. Not sure how adjustable they are.

joeybutts
  • @joeybutts said:

@4thtry said:

Shoot, the only thing I’d like to not do is secure anything to the fireplace. Do you by chance have a picture or example? Maybe if i saw it I would be open to it.

Appreciate it and kind words! Pool is 12x25, big tanning ledge, only ~7500 gallons. We’re absolutely loving it.

Here is a photoshoped example of what I was thinking about. It would involve securing a stop block to the fireplace on each side, so I guess that idea is out.

joeybutts
  • @joeybutts said:
    Give you an idea of the soace. Just looking for solid, clean, intelligible full sound on the patio space. I’ve got a pair of DIYSG volt8’s on the shed facing the pool for partying or full backyard sound. (Please ignore the mess of stuff, i just poured the pad for pool and outdoor gear!)

Fuck! You poured the pad for the pool? Respeck! I have poured a couple of thousand cubic yards of concrete, and that is good work!
    You know, I've been looking at high efficiency drivers for a while, and a couple of things come up.
    I think you will need SPL beyond what the Kerimiskas can provide. I may be able to help you
    build a reference high efficiency design. Failing that, the CSS MTM looks pretty awesome.
    You are going to need some SPL I think.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I'd do the French cleats on the beams and slant the baffle at 45 degrees down (make the cabinet at 45 degrees).

As this is not critical listening I'd also consider 4+ small single driver speakers on top of the beams spaced around the patio. That whiskey barrel needs a 15-inch sub anyway.

joeybutts
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @tajanes said:
    so, what time is the pool party this Sat?

All day, every day 😏

• @rjj45 said:

@joeybutts said:

Fuck! You poured the pad for the pool? Respeck! I have poured a couple of thousand cubic yards of concrete, and that is good work!
    You know, I've been looking at high efficiency drivers for a while, and a couple of things come up.
    I think you will need SPL beyond what the Kerimiskas can provide. I may be able to help you
    build a reference high efficiency design. Failing that, the CSS MTM looks pretty awesome.
    You are going to need some SPL I think.

Apologies! I must have worded it wrong, i poured a pad for stuff for the pool and patio. Haha, i can do concrete work but my solo work is limited at about 200sqft/5” thick slab. Ask how i know 🤣🤣🤣

The keramiskas would only be providing for the patio by the house, more as background sound than anything, not for the pool in any regard so i think they’d be ok. Also trying to balance small form factor vs performance.

I appreciate the offer and will keep it in mind! Thanks!

• edited April 2022

@jhollander said:
    I'd do the French cleats on the beams and slant the baffle at 45 degrees down (make the cabinet at 45 degrees).

As this is not critical listening I'd also consider 4+ small single driver speakers on top of the beams spaced around the patio. That whiskey barrel needs a 15-inch sub anyway.

Thanks!

I had thought of maybe doing something like wolf’s PC as well, small, simple, hidden. Worked well off my father in law’s shed.

Hahahaha i really wanted to, but logistics of placement and connectikns made it more than what i wanted to deal with.

This will be off the zone2 of my receiver. Probably should have mentioned that.

• The Keramiskas will be overkill, but I'm pretty sure that you are an overkill kind of guy!

joeybutts
  • Where did you get the idea for the outdoor fireplace?

• @Kornbread said:
    Where did you get the idea for the outdoor fireplace?

What aspect KB?

I thought it would be cool as the support post for the roof, my wife found a pic of the general shape she liked, we wanted somewhere for wood close by but not those generic racks on the patio so thats why the raised hearth of sandstone (we have two off by the shed for extra), the mantle was a cutoff from the front crossbeam because when i went to pick it up it was still 32 foot long….. and the fireplace would have never been an inkling of an idea if it wasn't for my father, he’s been a mason for 43 years. I owe him everything for all the stone work.

4thtrySteve_Lee6thplanet
  • Plans are to build a picnic/cook/fireplace/screened in outdoor type of thingy using solar panels for the roof. I like the open and tall space you have there but man, the price of lumber today is krazy.

• I know, its a battle. The cedar made it ridiculous but it’s what i wanted. And i bit the bullet to go to Tennessee to get it, otherwise it would have been almost double.

Ill tell you what though, we absolutely are in heaven with a covered outdoor space, nevermind the relaxation of the pool.

• Is there any way you guys can see for me to “nicely” orient them with the odd positioning of the beams in relation to the TV? I like the ease of the french cleat but that puts the right one either way set back or way out compared to the left…. Maybe just build out the cabinet so it can be french cleated but equal….

• Fly mounting off the ceiling. I'd hold a 2x4 parallel to the tv and level at the beam height. Mark the speaker mount locations on the 2x4. Use a laser to project the mounting locations on the ceiling. Attach brackets at the ceiling. I'd use thin threaded rod as hangers.

joeybuttsrjj45
  • maybe aircraft cable from the ceiling.

joeybutts
  • How high fidelity or fancy do these really have to be? It's just sound for the TV, right? I'd just build some simple enclosures with a full range or coax and screw them directly to the sheathing boards between the rafters, driver facing down. I'd imagine a 6.5" would be plenty, so a box could be like 8x8x8? Assuming the rafters are 2x8's? Another possibility is buy a drum shell, say a 10x10, cut it in half for two enclosures, add a baffle on each side, screw it to the sheathing through the driver hole, wack a driver in it, and done.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/353944615787

• I do think “flying speakers” would be the easiest way to orient them best and keep the cabs the same…..

• @6thplanet said:
    How high fidelity or fancy do these really have to be? It's just sound for the TV, right? I'd just build some simple enclosures with a full range or coax and screw them directly to the sheathing boards between the rafters, driver facing down. I'd imagine a 6.5" would be plenty, so a box could be like 8x8x8? Assuming the rafters are 2x8's? Another possibility is buy a drum shell, say a 10x10, cut it in half for two enclosures, add a baffle on each side, screw it to the sheathing through the driver hole, wack a driver in it, and done.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/353944615787

….. though aesthetics are the priority and figure the ability of the keramiskas will compensate enough for good sound still. I would just like them some what symmetrical and hadn’t thought about ceiling mounting somehow directly….. appreciate that thought!

Some great ideas guys. Thanks so much, will report back with what i decide!

• No report just picture will be fine :)

joeybutts