Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (10)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Behind the 8 ball

That's what I'm calling the little speakers that I had at Indy, for the simple reason that the Nd140Pr on the front looks like a "Magic 8 Ball" and the active woofer is mounted behind it, so.....I had to name it something. It consists of a Dynavox LY302 in a seal enclosure and a passive radiator bandpass using the ND105-8 as the active driver. For all of you fullrange purists who believe there should be no passive components in the signal path, just stop reading right now and head over to a different post, because these guys took a boat load of parts.
I usually don't comment on how my designs sound, but in my opinion these sound bigger than they have any right to, and I was pleasantly surprised by their outcome, as I wasn't really expecting much. My intention being to have fun with a simple, unusual build, that used up some more parts on the shelf.
Here's some construction picks.

Bottom view

Front minus fullrange cut out

squamishdroc4thtry

Comments

• This is what they look like without the grill cloth.

• I'm too old to have hearing that's capable of hearing the rise on the extreme top end, and as a matter of fact I think EQ was the only person in attendance that could hear it, thanks to his 19 year old ears. If you're Reading this EQ, it was nice meeting you and I enjoyed our conversations, hopefully you'll be able to make it here again from Singapore.

kenrhodesBillet6thplanetjhollander4thtry
  • I've been wondering who would be the first to use that Dynavox. It got a great review a few years ago from Tim Feleppa when he tested it. Is the waveguide to control directivity or more to align the drivers?

• It's to not have the grill interfere with the response too badly.

• Ben is correct, I had to use a waveguide because that phase plug looking thing in the center of the cone is actually part of the cone, basically a dust cap that protrudes beyond the face of the driver. The waveguide accomplished spacing the cloth out away from the "dust cap" and it provided some gain, which I could burn off to most likely lower the distortion a bit.

• Those sounded so good! Totally neato design, Nick👍🏼 Also, glad to hear the big ol monkey coffin units up on "stands" (thanks Craig!) Superb build right there.

ugly_woofer4thtry

• Who doesn't like a nice bottom.

6thplanet