Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Toslink to 5.1 channel audio convertor recommendations with MiniDSP DDRC-88A . . .

OK, feeling a little cocky with my recent Mini DSP 4x10 stereo project success and have my sights set on cleaning up my home theater setup.

Can anyone direct me to a a solid and reliable Toslink to 5.1 channel audio convertor so I can start to assemble a solution?

Thanks in advance - need more info? Please ask.

I'll post my results here.

B)

jhollander

Comments

• edited May 2022

Why toslink?

What you're looking for is an AVR or pre-pro.. Spdif only supports 2 channel of uncompressed audio, so 5.1 has to be Dobly Digital or DTS type of encoding.

Besides, the DDRC-88A is requiring you to go from digital - analog - digital - analog. My OCD brain would not like that, so DDRC-88D makes more sense, which I would expect can be coupled with U-DIO8 for a multichannel USB solution.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • OK, I had incorrectly assumed that the Toslink connection contained the 5.1 audio signal.

Your suggested solution is full of balanced connectors which is a deal breaker for me, unfortunately.

Thanks, though . . .

• I am trying to add individual speaker channel EQ to an existing AVR (Yamaha HTR-5540).

• edited May 2022

Connecting $1000 of DSP to a $100 AVR...Time to get a better AVR with 5.1 analog out. Of course if Dirac is what you're after, go for a AVR with Dirac already included and skip the miniDSP.

Not sure how a toslink connection was going to come out of the HTR-5540...

Steve_Lee
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Thanks for humoring me, dcibel.

I am starting to understand . . .

• Hey, Looks like the current Yamaha HTR-5540 has 6 channel audio input so the amp becomes a potential dual 3-way amp. So . . . I can recycle it as the amp taking input from the MiniDSP-4x10 outs and doing XO duty for my next stereo 3-way speaker project!!

Sweet.

Or would the center and sub inputs be handled differently by the amp than the mains and surrounds???

:#

• From the manual:

"When you select 6CH INPUT as the input source, this unit
    automatically turns off the digital sound field processor, and
    you cannot listen to DSP programs.

• When you select 6CH INPUT as the input source, settings of
    “1 SPEAKER SET” on the SET MENU do not apply (except
    for “1E MAIN Lv” "

Thoughts?

• Just did a little more experimenting and moved a sealed 10" sub to the front of the living room (HT location) adjacent/across from the ported 10" sub and it all balanced out nicely - no longer interested in the DSP/Dirac other than the mains could use some EQ as they are just a bit bright - might dig into the XO's (passive) and pad them a bit more but the highs are in the MW's.

I am gonna have sh*t load of drivers for sale if I keep getting the sound I am looking for from the stuff I have tweaked to perfection. (Mental speaker design addict).

The more you learn the less stuff you realize that you needed to buy . . .

:/

• Moved the Samba Kit speakers into the Mains slot just now - bass is accentuated but clean - needs some balance applied but sounds better . . .