Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Karma Allure 2way single fold MLTL

Finally getting back to these. Karma Audio (car audio) had sent these drivers to me for testing/evaluation and a crossover design for home use. The drivers are built to their specs by Audible Physics. Working with both for so long, I know what to expect from them. And I am not disappointed in these!
Unique tweeter mounting makes them look like they are rear mounted. A rear ring pulls the tweeter tightly into the front recess.

The cabinet was design with the aid of Paul K and is dead on to his sims, as usual. These are short for towers; 36" overall with the tweeter currently at 33.5". The crossover will reside in the plinth at the bottom. Fb is 35 hz and simmed F3/F10 is 39/27. Still playing a bit with the stuffing.

Will probably tweak just a bit more on the xover after taking off axis measurements. So far they are really nice!

squamishdrocrjj45Turn2

Comments

• That's a nice looking midbass driver!

6thplanet
  • I really like the sound of the Audible Physics 6.5" cp that came from the MCM buyout.

• I've built several MLTLs, initially on PaulK's models, then on my own in HornResp. I continue to think that the bass is tighter and the mids are clearer than a "standard" bass reflex alignment.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Second that good looking woofer🤘🏼
    Looks like it'd be a really nice sounding speaker ya got there.

• Not much about them, who selling them, and how much do they cost?

• @rjj45 said:
    I've built several MLTLs, initially on PaulK's models, then on my own in HornResp. I continue to think that the bass is tighter and the mids are clearer than a "standard" bass reflex alignment.

You can use Martin King's spreadsheets for "regular" bass reflex cabinets too. Mark K. used the spreadsheets for his Seas ER18DXT project to dampen internal box resonances:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141010175643/audioheuristics.org/projects_gallery/ER18DXT/ER18DXT.htm

• @6thplanet said:
    Not much about them, who selling them, and how much do they cost?

This line isn't cheap. Tweets are $400pr, woofs are $350. They are getting into more shops or can buy direct. On Facebook, it's Karma Mobile Audio

6thplanet
  • Who do they think they are.... RAAAAAL? lol

6thplanet
  • The price is fine if.......the performance matches it.

• @ugly_woofer said:
    The price is fine if.......the performance matches it.

So far, I would say yes.

• @Ed_Perkins said:

@rjj45 said:
    I've built several MLTLs, initially on PaulK's models, then on my own in HornResp. I continue to think that the bass is tighter and the mids are clearer than a "standard" bass reflex alignment.

You can use Martin King's spreadsheets for "regular" bass reflex cabinets too. Mark K. used the spreadsheets for his Seas ER18DXT project to dampen internal box resonances:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141010175643/audioheuristics.org/projects_gallery/ER18DXT/ER18DXT.htm

I couldn't get a new version of Mathcad to install, so I gave up on Martin King's work. Bit the bullet and learned Hornresp and now I am self-sufficient. One time I modeled a "standard bass reflex" (rectangular) versus the same in a cube box, versus the same in an MLTL box. Very informative in showing the various resonances.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Tree fiddy!!! Only a damn loch Ness monster would pay that!

ugly_woofer
  • For those of you that don't know what we're talking about, its from an episode of South Park, where Chef's parents come to visit from Scotland and all his father can talk about is how the Loc Ness monster keeps trying to trick him out of tree fiddly "$3.50".

rjj45jhollander
  • Played around a bit to get better phase alignment (without sacrificing FR) and added a 3rd order, damped, electrical on the tweeter. This also resulted in no need of a padding resistor. It CAN be added for listener preference. So far, I'm not sure it's needed. Sounds good as is. Distortion looks good, and my approximate off axis measurements do too. Pretty pleased here! On to the finish which I am still debating.

• That HD peak at 320Hz of -20dB would have me a bit concerned. It does not show in impedance, so I'm wondering what is going on.

• @Wolf said:
    That HD peak at 320Hz of -20dB would have me a bit concerned. It does not show in impedance, so I'm wondering what is going on.

That is probably due to the port NOT being completely secured except by duct tape right now lol. That and I am still playing with the fill

• Here are Paul K's sims on this project. The measurements match the sim perfectly.

rjj45Billet
  • He is the master of MLTLs

6thplanet
  • Awaiting a couple of inductors to install the crossover. With laminate in short supply, I didn't want to unwind what I have in the inventory so Meniscus is winding a couple of air cores for me. Then make feet and they are finished.

rjj456thplanetugly_wooferSteve_LeekenrhodesSilver1omoTurn2squamishdroc
  • Those look great!