Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

MWAF

edited May 2022 in DIY

Got this. Not happy about the private judging.

We are excited to announce that the Speaker Design Competition is BACK: Friday, August 5th and Saturday, August 6th! We have missed you all!

We have a phenomenal new location this year just three minutes from Parts Express:

Grace Point Fellowship
1455 E W 2nd St.
Franklin, OH 45005

Please note what else is new:

• Judging will take place in a separate/private room where your projects will be auditioned for the judges only, one on one.
• Once your project has been reviewed by the judges, you can then play your speakers for fellow contestants in the ‘jam room’ where contestants will have the opportunity to play their speakers for everyone for an allotted amount of time. Participants will be voting for Fan Favorite only.
• There will be an open reception/lounge area where you can visit, mingle and talk ‘speakers’ with fellow contestants anytime throughout the day. No more ‘SSHHHH’!
• Parts Express will not have a tent sale HOWEVER there will be skids of heavily discounted merchandise available PLUS all contestants will receive 20% off that day on everything PE carries! We plan an extended lunch period so everyone can shop at our Retail Store.
• Many of you looked forward to our wine tasting at the Meet & Greet on Friday night, however, our contract with the venue does not allow alcohol on the premises. We know this is disappointing, but the amazing venue more than makes up for it.
• Category restructuring: there will be an Under $300 and Over $300 category (formerly $200). This was done in fairness due to rising costs in materials since our last event in 2019.

Online registration is not yet open. We’ve launched a new website since our last competition and are working hard to create all the necessary forms/pages for the event. It will be posted on the bottom of our website as Speaker Design Competition (hopefully in the next few days) so please stay tuned.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails

Comments

• I was clicking through the pictures on google maps. Looks like a fairly big room with high ceilings and expanding side walls. Should be interesting. Looking forward to it, finally! Wonder how many speakers we can enter; limit of two categories like in the past? What don't you like about the private judging? I wonder if we will be able to set up our own speakers for the judging, to verify polarity, levels, etc.

• Yeah, the private judging is a bit lame, but what ever, it's their game. They should have the house track they judge with played by everyone at the "jam room" Have to see how the allotted time thing is structured. Otherwise, great to have that event back.

• My hope would be that they allow each contestant to set up and connect their own speakers in the smaller judging room and then allow the contestant to give a short presentation to the judges before their speakers are played. After playing the house track, the contestant would then remove their own speakers while the next contestant sets up his/her speakers.

• @6thplanet said:
    Yeah, the private judging is a bit lame, but what ever, it's their game. They should have the house track they judge with played by everyone at the "jam room" Have to see how the allotted time thing is structured. Otherwise, great to have that event back.

This pretty much sums up what I was thinking.

• Interesting turn of events. I like the idea of private judging provided everything else is 100% transparent.

It would be interesting, however, to compare a crowd voted favorite with what the elite judging room comes up with.

I have a signature.
  • I thought we had some comments or an email about the proposed changes from Vancy D. I remember my surprising opposition to technically correct over lets all guess who might win group activity.

PWRRYD
  • With the change, upping the under $200 category to $300, it would seem to me that there will be an enormous number of entries in that slot.

• edited May 2022

Note it says one on one for judging? Only one judge?

• Three judges, poorly worded. Judging in private.....well with a window.

• @ugly_woofer said:
    With the change, upping the under $200 category to $300, it would seem to me that there will be an enormous number of entries in that slot.

I'm not so sure about enormous, but I think it will be a more competitive category now. I bought drivers for an idea about two years ago (probably the fall before MWAF 2020 was cancelled) for around $180-190. They're $274 now. I had checked a few weeks ago since I was assuming MWAF 2022 would eventually get announced and was really hoping they'd increase it to $300 so was happy when they did.

• Javad is a judge? How cool is that to have someone from the hobby as a judge! Not sure I like some of his voicing but still very cool. I would expect to see Ben and Chuck next. =)

• Funny you say that, as I like entering too much to likely consent to be a judge- unless they really make it worth my while.

• I think all judges should be blindfolded until after they hear/judge the SQ part. Then they can judge the visual/craftsmanship.

BilletEd_PerkinsTom_SS7910PWRRYD
  • Haha, Ben do you think the judges get more than a plane ticket and hotel room?

I wonder if Vandy snubbed them?

• I know they have a free meal or 2 as well, more than that, IDK.

I think listening should be blind too, then visual.

• I wonder if the entries will be anonymous to the judges until the winner is announced?

• edited June 2022

They can't be anonymous, you have to be able to set up your speaker. Especially the Friday night circus.

6thplanet
  • I don't know, maybe they'll turn around during setup or have curtains in front of the placements or judges. It's doable.

• Wasn't Vance Dickenson a judge in past years?

Were the judges historically more Industry judges or Enthusiast judges?

• Vance judged the last few years, and in prior years it was generally industry people such as Tom Danley.

• I hope we get to set up our own speaker and give a speech about the construction, but I'm ready to be disappointed :/