Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Is Directivity Responsible? . . .

I have been experimenting with these 10" Eminence coaxial drivers and switching back to the Yamaha NS10M's as well as the 6.5" JBL coaxial car speakers (after judicious EQ applied) and find the spacial effect/sound to be better and smoother with the smaller drivers - the sound stage sounds so much more wide and natural with the smaller drivers.

Listening to the smaller drivers, the music seems like it is coming from 4 feet away (Left/right) from the actual driver than the 10" coaxials.

Comments

• Hard to say. Distortion, reflections, and room placement all have a huge affect on sound stage.

• edited July 2022

Thanks for the reply, Ken.

(I think the lateral/horizontal distance/separation of the speakers is the key concerning their diameters at this point).

Had a friend on a business trip I hadn't seen in 2 years drop by for dinner and spend the night tonight and he wanted to see what I was doing and achieving with my speaker configurations and hobby.

He was so enamored and blown away by the sound of the 2 DSP/speaker configs I had done that he couldn't stop listening to them and raved about how something that sounds this good could pull his family together in one space to share the experience - like a trip to the concert hall for live performance. (He kept pointing into space and saying where the instruments were so I have the imaging worked out pretty well . . .).

To say that I am flattered is an understatement.

This was a much needed sanity-check because further DSP tweaking on my part will yield nothing but diminishing returns.

Time to park these speakers and work upon my other speaker projects collecting dust up in the shop . . .

Feedback is crucial . . .

6thplanetrjj45
  • Symmetry is also critical to imaging - in my opinion the most critical component. It can be tested with mono pink noise.

Of course, the engineer has to embed it in the audio track in the first place. Also in my opinion, a lot of people mistake phantom center channel effect for imaging. That is easy to achieve and for most music it is the best we can hope for in a stereo setup. The more I read about multichannel audio the more I hope it becomes the standard, especially if engineers start mixing for that newfangled Atmos. Imagine the 3D effect live music recordings could achieve!

kenrhodesSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Decades ago, I used to pull speakers apart and mount the drivers in different locations of the room and wire them back to the XO for a more spacial sound - Like put the mids behind potted peace plants, the woofers stayed in their original cabinets and the tweeters up high pointing at the listening position until I played a "Sounds of Nature" CD and the new dog started attacking the plants trying to find the chipmunks and birds . . .

6thplanetSilver1omoTurn2
  • @jr@mac said:
    Symmetry is also critical to imaging - in my opinion the most critical component. It can be tested with mono pink noise.

Dude!!

I thought about this for a bit concerning my apparent phase issue with the DSP unit and then played a MONO sweep through both channels with the mic in the desired listening position and then set the INVERT button to where the sweep gave the flattest response and it just God Smacks me now on all speakers done this way.

No more phase issues, either . . .

Thanks!!

It took a while for me to understand, but it finally clicked in my brain . . .

You guys just keep sharing thoughts and I'll keep reading/experimenting and trying to understand.

Awesomeness.