Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

I did a thing, lads. I bought a 37yo Yamaha amp.

edited May 2023 in Related

This was one of those "auction ending soon with zero bids" sort of situations. It could do with a bit of a plastic bezel polish. However, if my video were not a potato, you'd be a little jelly about how cosmetically clean this thing is.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RtphrQAPuh4

The M-45 was the baby in their 1986 product lineup. This is what Yamaha's bottom tier looked like back then:

Minimum RMS Output Power Per Channel
20 Hz to 20 kHz 0.003% THD, 8 ohms........125 watts
0.007% THD, 6 ohms........150 watts
0.002% THD, 4 ohms........180 watts
Auto Class A Operation Range (8 ohms)........ 10 watts
Dynamic Power per channel (IHF) 1 khz:
8 ohms/6 ohms/4 ohms/2 ohms 170W/210W/285W/390W

Look at that dynamic headroom! 2dB! I'm in love.

It will be getting a full re-cap, and possibly new speaker relays while I'm in there. Not coincidentally, I have in my possession an M-80, the previous year's flagship. It happens to be non-functional. It was given to me by someone with two other M series in need of service. If I can get the M-80 repaired and his other two restored, the M-80 is mine. Game on, I guess.

Steve_LeeS7910jr@macrjj456thplanetNicholas_234thtry

Comments

• Nice!!!

I have a signature.
  • I'm mesmerized!

• I love those old Yamaha amps. Had a M-40 for some years, sold it to a brother in the DIY community.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Nice! Nothing like dancing LEDs or VU meters to hype up the music!🤘🏼

• @6thplanet said:
    Nice! Nothing like dancing LEDs or VU meters to hype up the music!🤘🏼

My speakers are too sensitive. I'm not going to get to see a whole lot of those LEDs. First world problems I guess? Haha!

6thplanetNicholas_23Steve_Lee
  • Might be an adjustment/modification in there to get more action if you're not to attached to accuracy.

• edited May 2023

There definitely is a trim pot inside. Or maybe I just give myself permission to try something in that 83dB range...

Funny story. When I first hooked it up, I fired up whatever disc was in the player. Slowly started increasing the volume, and there was just an alarming amount of hiss through the speakers, and I was getting no music. I started to wonder if the M-45 was a dud.

I had the InDIYana test disc still in the player. The first track is pink noise. :D

Nicholas_23Steve_LeeWolf6thplanetS7910rjj45
  • @Dirk said:
    This was one of those "auction ending soon with zero bids" sort of situations. It could do with a bit of a plastic bezel polish. However, if my video were not a potato, you'd be a little jelly about how cosmetically clean this thing is.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RtphrQAPuh4

The M-45 was the baby in their 1986 product lineup. This is what Yamaha's bottom tier looked like back then:

Minimum RMS Output Power Per Channel
    20 Hz to 20 kHz 0.003% THD, 8 ohms........125 watts
    0.007% THD, 6 ohms........150 watts
    0.002% THD, 4 ohms........180 watts
    Auto Class A Operation Range (8 ohms)........ 10 watts
    Dynamic Power per channel (IHF) 1 khz:
    8 ohms/6 ohms/4 ohms/2 ohms 170W/210W/285W/390W

Look at that dynamic headroom! 2dB! I'm in love.

It will be getting a full re-cap, and possibly new speaker relays while I'm in there. Not coincidentally, I have in my possession an M-80, the previous year's flagship. It happens to be non-functional. It was given to me by someone with two other M series in need of service. If I can get the M-80 repaired and his other two restored, the M-80 is mine. Game on, I guess.

Steve_LeeDirk6thplanetDrewsBrews
  • That's a sweet amp, Dirk! I'm not in love with the midline CR series receivers so much, but I think their separates are in another tier. That M-80 is a total brute! It ought to get the job done and sound great regardless of what it's driving. Are you on Audiokarma?

@rjj45 said:
    I love those old Yamaha amps. Had a M-40 for some years, sold it to a brother in the DIY community.

That's the M-4 you sold me! I'm just finishing up some repairs and replacement of over 80 caps on a matching C4 preamp that will be paired with it. That C4 is a pain to keep running, but it's sure worth it! The M-4 is probably next up on the bench.

Dirkrjj45
  • To quote Norm McDonald, "Germans love David Hasselhoff."

6thplanet
  • YammyHammy knew what they were doing back then. B)

• @Tom_S said:
    That's a sweet amp, Dirk! I'm not in love with the midline CR series receivers so much, but I think their separates are in another tier. That M-80 is a total brute! It ought to get the job done and sound great regardless of what it's driving. Are you on Audiokarma?

@rjj45 said:
    I love those old Yamaha amps. Had a M-40 for some years, sold it to a brother in the DIY community.

That's the M-4 you sold me! I'm just finishing up some repairs and replacement of over 80 caps on a matching C4 preamp that will be paired with it. That C4 is a pain to keep running, but it's sure worth it! The M-4 is probably next up on the bench.

Glad you are paying attention to it! I never got around to working on it.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • ..and a meme was born. Long live derpcat!