Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Creative Sound Solutions

Hi everyone,

Dan and I have officially taken over ownership of CSS. We began discussions with Bob Reijmer all the way back in February and it has been a long slow process in getting up and running. Bob has built a great reputation for CSS over the years with both the high quality products and his own personal character as a businessman and we are both looking forward to keeping this alive and well.

I know the first question that gets asked is probably going to be about the price increases so I wanted to address those right away. As our website mentions in the pop-up, the agreements that Bob had in the past with suppliers are no longer being honored. Both the price and minimum order quantity have gone up for us. Additionally, being located in Michigan versus Vancouver, means we are going to be paying considerably more for shipping to get the product in hand. Right now, all we have in stock that are CSS products are the LD22 and the LDW7. I know there hasn’t been a lot of info out there on his driver offerings, so we are working on getting more actual data for you guys so you can make better judgements on what we offer. We are looking to standardize the data for each product to include an IB frequency response, distortion at two levels, impedance, and CSD.

Right now we are working on getting the redesigned Criton 1TD v2.0 kit together and I think people will be very impressed with it. Both the woofer and the tweeter are great drivers and offer some unique attributes that we think you guys will like.

The LD22 tweeter is a 22mm dome that has extremely low distortion and a small faceplate for closer center-to-center spacing with your woofer. We didn’t know what to expect from this tweeter before we got one in hand, but we have been very impressed. This tweeter can cross low for a tweeter of its size and coupled with the small faceplate, makes it one of the few offerings like this out there. Below is a distortion measurement we took while getting measurements for the kit design. These were done at 0.78m and are SPL accurate.

The LDW7 woofer is an interesting woofer. The T/S parameters allow very deep bass out of a fairly small box. In a 0.75 cubic foot cabinet, you can get down to the low 30’s f3. The response is not quite as smooth as I would have liked so it took a bit of extra work to get the crossover right, but once we had it dialed in it sounded and measured very clean. Below you can see some distortion measurements in one of the original 0.38 cu ft sealed cabinets, also at 0.78m.

I know most of you aren’t interested in finished kits since you guys are typically designing your own, but I wanted to share a bit about the Criton as well. The inventory included a pair of the original 1TD speakers. We hooked these up and were pretty disappointed with the sound. We were originally worried because we though these drivers were either no good on their own, or just didn’t mate together. However, after pulling them apart, measuring, and testing a new crossover, we have been really amazed out how well this kit is sounding. We have the tweeter crossed at 1.9 kHz 3rd order acoustic/ 2nd order electrical in the design and it is showing now strain at all. Below is the response and distortion measurements. The distortion sweeps were taken at 0.5 m, which is what we are going to standardize everything to in the future.

So with that said, we are welcome to feedback or questions. Let us know what you do or don’t like about the products or website and what you might like to see in the future. 

Comments

• I used that tweeter a few years ago mated with the SB 5" woofer. It is a good performer. 
    I have a signature.
  • Congrats guys on the new venture! Looking forward to what you come up with. 
    Will you be doing direct sales or work with distributors? The first offering looks very good indeed.
  • Thanks for the update and congrats!
  • Congratulations.  Kerry, is this a full time gig for you and Dan?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Congratulations.  Kerry, is this a full time gig for you and Dan?
    No, we definitely still have day jobs for the time being. We'll have to see how things go but I don't foresee being able to quit any time soon. It's definitely possible that it never makes it to that level and we only do this part time.
    JavadS
  • Congrats guys!
  • Congrats Kerry and Dan. I have a pair of the ld22 tweeter and I like woofer it hits nice and tight in the demo kit that sometime got demoed.
  • Ill have to try the tweeter. Will you guys be at the meniscus event this month? Bringing any goodies if you do go? 
  • Hope you both hit it out of the park.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.

• D1PP1N said:
    Ill have to try the tweeter. Will you guys be at the meniscus event this month? Bringing any goodies if you do go? 
    Hey guys, Kerry and I are both planning on being at Meniscus next week.  We will be bringing some goodies for Bryan to use as door prizes in Iowa.  We're also bringing our Model P215 kit and the revised Criton 1TD kit, but out of respect for our host, we'll only be playing these in the hotel room after hours.

Thanks for all the well wishes and we can't wait to see all you guys! 

Dan
  • edited September 2017
    Hi Kerry,

Congratulations to you and Dan on your new adventure. I hope it is extremely successful. Us DIY guys love new opportunities to spend our money. :)

Jim
  • jholtz said:
    Hi Kerry,

Congratulations to you and Dan on your new adventure. I hope it is extremely successful. Us DIY guys love new opportunities to spend our money. :)

Jim

Noooooo..... no more opportunities, i am drowning in them.... but seriously, CSS has some really good stuff, hope the pricing and shipping works out. The canadian prices were always great, but the shipping was killer, especially from solen. CSS included the shipping in the price. But good luck and keep us updated.
    JavadS
  • jr@mac said:
    I used that tweeter a few years ago mated with the SB 5" woofer. It is a good performer. 
    JR did you use the flat faced flange version or the cupped version of that tweeter? Its looking like only the "F" version is available at the moment. 
  • I used the "C" version. Should be minimal effective differences. 
    I have a signature.
  • D1PP1N said:
    jr@mac said:
    I used that tweeter a few years ago mated with the SB 5" woofer. It is a good performer. 
    JR did you use the flat faced flange version or the cupped version of that tweeter? Its looking like only the "F" version is available at the moment. 
    The curved faceplate is still available. The differences are pretty small. The curve is shallow so it doesn't provide any appreciable low end boost. It does smooth diffraction ever so slightly. But the differences are small enough that it might not be audible and definitely can use the same crossover. We were a little surprised that Bob had two styles designed that measure so similarly. However, I will say I like the look of the curved better but the flat makes it easier to mate to a waveguide. 

-Kerry

• Just ducking in to say...WOW!  Carry on.
    My signature goes here
  • Congratulations!  I wish I lived closer.