Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Retail outlets

Other than PE, Meniscus, and Madisound, where do you guys shop for drivers?  Looking specifically for 10" - 12" woofers.  Thanks!

Comments

• In Canada, Qcomponents is a good source for pro audio drivers and hardware.

In the US, there is of course USSpeaker.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • CSS is in Michigan now.

Misco is in Minnesota (IIRC), but don't know if they do direct sales.http://www.miscospeakers.com/products

Solen, in Canada.

Apex Jr. has some in California.

DIY Sound Group

Acoustic Elegance in Green Bay, WI. http://aespeakers.com/shop/

Stereo Integrity, NC: http://stereointegrity.com/products/, I think it's the same place Sundown Audio is built from. http://www.sundownaudio.com/

Ben

• Misco does direct, but in batch qty. At one point I might have suggested GR Research but after a recent interaction with the owner, I cannot recommend them.
  • Misco does direct, but in batch qty. At one point I might have suggested GR Research but after a recent interaction with the owner, I cannot recommend them.
    Yep.  That was.....unexpected.
  • Just come to PE :)
  • Marty, how about slightly used? You can generally find good deals if you post what you want in the classified either here or at PE.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Marty/Chuck- He's done what Chuck informed me of before. Back in the old Mad-board days he was a schmuck then too. He stiffed me on door prizes one year for InDIYana. Casual conversation where he is leading and 'being the knowledgeable party' usually is congenial and a sales pitch. When you doubt him as the smarter party the teeth come out snarling.

There was a thread about Bybee filters that is the first to come to mind. Danny swore up and down that they were wonderful, and offered them to Jeff for a trial run. They were supposed to be run right at the drivers according to the description and Danny's nudging, but Jeff figured at the input terminal was good enough. Jeff listened and measured and heard/saw nothing that dictated these were more than a bulbous length of copper wire, and when he said that publicly, Danny just went off like a firecracker.

He'll promote high dollar parts all day long, and state that he supposedly has won awards for his voicing and/or knowledge. I think those are all for show. I heard the M165/Neo3 combo kit he sells and really wasn't impressed. The breakup was still present on the poly woofer, and the tweeter was a touch hot, and this was in a well damped/diffuse room. The bass rolled off early in the sealed design as well. Slightly bright for 'added detail' would be my synopsis.

To the uninformed/uninitiated masses, his stuff might be alright, and better than mass produced garbage, but not to you or me.

• Newark still stocks several MCM drivers, or are they wholesale only now? 
  • That's the same take I have on the GR Research. I remember an infamous blow up when Zaph gave a so-so review of the GR Research M-165X woofer (test results still available on Zaph's website).  Danny's immediate melt down was both epic and so sad. How dare a lowly "hobbyist" question the superiority of his driver!
  • dynamo said:
    Newark still stocks several MCM drivers, or are they wholesale only now? 
    Nope, they sell to the public
  • Thanks for the input Guys!
  • edited November 2017
    Just an FYI to any other Canadian members here, Qcomponents is offering 15% off on everything from Friday to Monday this weekend, and as always orders over $150 ship for free.

They stock some decent pro audio lines, B&C, Eminence, Celestion, Radian. Nothing too interesting for home audio other than hardware and maybe crossover parts. Good source for speakon conenctors and Duratex.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.