Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Any interest in a group buy for Airborne AMT?

There's a guy at DiyAudio who has completed one group by of Airborne AMT tweeters, and is preparing to do another one.
Prices are pretty excellent. Probably take a few months for delivery from CN.
Details are here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-and-exotics/312560-looking-hygeia-airborne-amt-tweeters-designs.html
But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!

Comments

• Just an FYI, OscarS is guitar_maestro on PETT and this forum, though I don't know that he's ever posted here since he joined.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • dcibel said:
    Just an FYI, OscarS is guitar_maestro on PETT and this forum, though I don't know that he's ever posted here since he joined.
    Thanks. We'll see. 
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Started messing around with the 4001 the other night.
  • I really liked the RT5002 when I had them.
  • Yup, that's me.  The manufacturer is Hygeia Electrical Co, Ltd.  When I ordered last year, the pricing they gave me was as follows:

$48 per RT-5002 
    $24 per RT-4001
    $13 per RT-2005

But I was lucky without even knowing it.  The only reason they fullfilled a 12-tweeter order is because they were doing a production run already.  So right now that I have a couple of other guys also interested, they're not doing a run so they're being hesitant (basically said no unless I ordered a 100 MOQ).

Well that was 2 weeks ago, and fast forward to last night, the guy strangely emails me if I'm still interested in the transaction, and I was puzzled because he had already said no.  So I asked for clarification:

So basically what I gather is that they do production runs and buy their raw materials in bulk only when doing so.  So they're basically asking me to "up" my order so it can be worth it to them.  Otherwise I suppose they get shafted on whatever they're buying for raw materials from their supplier(s).

Yes they took long (like 4 months or so) because they sure don't manufacture their AMT faceplates that's for sure.  They outsource them and the machining for them from elsewhere.  That's why they took 45-60 days longer than they would otherwise take, because I wanted the cool clean-machined aluminum 45° bevel on mine like on the Legacy Audio versions:

But in the end they came through, and I like those 5002's more and more each day on my Legacy Audio Calibre speakers, which is of course why I'm planning on a cool high-output larger version of them using Hygeia AMT's.

Here is their full catalog, but as said, they might be hesitant for small quantities if they aren't already in a production run.

Here is the spreadsheet with the current items/quantities that I'm planning to "offer" to buy from them to see if they will bite.  I don't know when and if they will ever say "yes" again, so I'm taking the initiative to order [far more] than I need. I haven't calculated my portion but I'm in at least $1500, LOL.  No worries for me, I waste more than double that on a few drunken weekends in Las Vegas every year, LOL.

If anyone wants in, let me know ASAP.  You wouldn't be buying from me, you'd simply be using me to send the money over to them, so I can't take paypal though.  Do keep that in mind.  956-236-7566 if you have any questions you can reach me directly.  Pretty swamped at work right now so I can't talk during the day, but I'm usually home by 8pm CST, if anyone wants to chat about this buying opportunity.

Thanks for reading.

dcibelrjj45jr@mackennyk
  • Any chance of a non-google links to the documents? I like how these look with the machine faceplates - might be willing to go for a few pair.
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    Any chance of a non-google links to the documents? I like how these look with the machine faceplates - might be willing to go for a few pair.
    Johnny -  
    most, though not all the Hygeia products can be seen here
    https://hygeia08.en.ec21.com/product_list.html?type=all

• Johnny, they have about 30+ tweeter models IIRC.

The google links have "anyone can view" access enabled.  You shouldn't have any trouble/ issues seeing them.  Just borrow someone's android phone. :)
  • I'm on a Droid. I'll check later.
    I have a signature.
  • edited April 2018
    Oscar, your link to the sheet above isn't working (you missed a colon).

Here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1deQ2dYu-p0uZL2RAMoYAMveXGwTxdBjcUsfLPqWoqro/edit?usp=sharing

• Thanks for that correction.  Thats very odd considering that I copied it directly off Google!

As you all can now see, we're only looking to add to the item count already on that spreadsheet, as their not interested in fulfilling small orders for any particular unit.  No guarantee on anything of course, they're gonna look at those counts and then decide what they want to produce for me (us).

I plan on emailing them Friday morning with final counts.
  • I really like the look of the machined edge
  • I really like the look of the machined edge

+1
  • Yup, I agree. It's a very nice touch.  Great speakers for the price I got them for, and they respond great to horn loading if you take the time to mate them up to a decent horn/waveguide.
  • I don't get these guys, they tell me they want 100 MOQ, and now they're email'ing almost daily asking to confirm my quote (that has well under 100 units of each), if I still need their "sopranos", LOL.   They have yet to discover Google Translate I suppose, lol.  I went ahead and sent them the spreadsheet so they can consider those quantities, and perhaps make a "counter offer" if they perhaps need a few more on the order.  

If you are interested but don't get to get in on this order via me, I would consider reselling some of my units once everything is said and done.
  • edited April 2018
    Some one please help me understand before I rip all my hair out!  Am I smoking crack or are they?? LOL  

They haven't even explicitly said that everything was A-OK with the quantities, and they're already talking about the shipment going past customs??  I don't even have a quote, invoice, nothing! LOL   Man, I really wish they could work on their English.    Anyone here fluent in Chinese so you can call for me?  LOL  I swear this is the only part that I hate about working with them.  It's so frustrating for me, LOL. :s :#

I can only assume they understand me.  Any takers to absorb the cost of the quantities I submitted (along with the other associated costs)?
  • Wow, that's crazy. I can't imagine how frustrating this process would be given their inability to communicate. Damn.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • My translation, first note typical marketing spam asking you order more so they can give you better price.

Second note starting with Hi Oscar, they don't know and need more time before they can send you an answer.

Your note, seems to casual and confusing for translation to Chinese.  My Taiwanese friends say to use simple sentences and repeat information.  Example "When do you ship 5 quantity RT5001?"  "Who is your shipping company"

They have no idea when you will get a delivery, best you can hope for is to get the shipping information and track yourself.

Sorry I can't help out on the buy right now.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Thanks for the comments.  I know they'll come through eventually, heck, they came through with my 1st measly 12 unit order.    I had no idea what constitutes a "good sentence to translate into Chinese" compared to one that is not, so I can only hope for the best.  It makes sense to use simpler language, but at the same time I don't want something to be mis-interpreted.  

Carry on, nothing to see here, yet. LOL
  • On a similar note:   Just got an Email reply from Tianle.  Any interested in Tianle YDG718-01's for $95/pc?  MOQ is 20 though.

dcibel
  • edited April 2018
    Any specs for these, FR? Is it 95$ each or for a pair?

• edited April 2018
    $95 per individual piece, plus all the other miscellaneous fees obviously.

They're basically a Dayton AMTPRO-4, which sells for ~$150 for 1 on Parts Express.  I haven't found any other manufacturer that offers a seemingly identical model.
  • edited April 2018
    That does look identical the AMTPRO, with the only difference being the neodymium blocks are split into 3 pieces, where the AMTPRO is split in 2 pieces. The AMTPRO also comes with some felt on the backside, which isn't included in any description I found of this driver.

There's a very high likelihood that the Dayton is this driver with a Dayton logo on the box.  I've also found the AMTPRO listed on AliExpress under the "Sounderlink" brand. $95 is a good price, the prices on AliExpress are still in the $130-$170 range.
  • Maybe that is the best price available in the USA. While trying to find any specs, cam across this link which lists it at 60$ each, hence the clarification. The AMTPRO top end is a bit rolled off, which is expected of a big AMT

https://tianleaudio.en.made-in-china.com/product/uegnWpzPvDhL/China-Air-Motion-Transformer-Ribbon-Tweeter-Speaker-YDG718-01-.html
    dcibel
  • edited April 2018
    Well worth $100 IMO, extraordinarily low distortion performance right down to 1kHz. Vertically it is limited in the top end, however it has very wide directivity horizontally, so if you're room is somewhat large or you can set up your speakers so the tweeters are at listening height these can still work very well, it is possible that the limited vertical directivity can improve the sound, since you have reduced interference from floor and ceiling reflections "smearing" the sound. I also found the lack of floor and ceiling reflections made it easy to get an accurate in-room measurement using the AMTPRO as well, since I could effectively set the gate window much wider than I would be able to otherwise with a dome tweeter.
  • Within the height limitations, looks a good tweeter with high sensitivity, good for crossing over to a 8" or maybe even a 10"
    dcibel
  • ani_101 said:
    Maybe that is the best price available in the USA. While trying to find any specs, cam across this link which lists it at 60$ each, hence the clarification. The AMTPRO top end is a bit rolled off, which is expected of a big AMT

https://tianleaudio.en.made-in-china.com/product/uegnWpzPvDhL/China-Air-Motion-Transformer-Ribbon-Tweeter-Speaker-YDG718-01-.html
    That's how I found it initially.  They said that made-in-china listing was pretty old and it used to sell for that.  Not any more.
  • Sadly no news as of yet.  I guess I'm still just "the little guy" that wants to order a couple tweeters, LOL.

They do have a new updated website, so hopefully they'll pick up the little orders soon.
  • OscarJr said:
    Sadly no news as of yet.  I guess I'm still just "the little guy" that wants to order a couple tweeters, LOL.

They do have a new updated website, so hopefully they'll pick up the little orders soon.
    You would think that they would have some big orders every couple of months, but who knows.
    The fact that they sold to you before is the only indicator that they might sell some again.
  • Things are looking up!  Looks like they simply have a production delay.  Still sucks they couldn't send the invoice for me to see how hard the order is going to hit me, lol.