Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

DIY Speaker Recommendations with Specific Questions RE: Hivi 3.1, Helix Dome

2»

Comments

• Thank you so much!  Watching it now.  Some comments on the goat rodeo I've experienced in my Bromo chase:
    1.  Madisound informed me they would make a kit out of the parts.
    2.  One week later when I was ready to order I was told upon ordering that they were out of the ceramic woofers.  I asked that the kit be put together sans woofers after which I went to Meniscus and purchased the woofers.
    3.  One day later I was told by Madisound that there was a mistake (they misread the box on the self) and that the tweeters were also out of stock...which mean that if was going to buy those from Meniscus as well I wouldn't be able to include them in one order and I'd be hit with another shipping fee which did not please me.

I was hoping to build them over the thanks giving holiday week but given that the SB drivers restock from Indonesia I'm not sure when my build will proceed.  I have been pretty excited about pursuing it.  Whenever they come in (hopefully at least before Christmas break) I'll provide some info on the build, etc.

• Might ask Meniscus if they can put the kit together for you. One shipment.
  • They are also out and cancelled my order it seems that there must be some major demand for these ceramic drivers. 
  • Update:  All drivers have arrived.  Touching the cone of the woofer did not feel at all l like I expected.  When I heard 'ceramic' I assumed there would be a hard brittle shell that I could tap and hear a noise, almost as if the driver was an aluminum one but the surface coating is literally spongy/soft/gives.  
  • They are aluminum, the ceramic is an oxidation layer.
    I have a signature.
  • I didn't anticipate the tactile sensation or texture at all.
  • Few comments.  1.  The Bromo kit is now officially posted on Madisound.  2.  I completed mine over the weekend in every way save cosmetics and am enjoying them right now.

I really appreciate the recommendation.  They are impressive.  
    Early impressions:

1.  Does not have the typical sound you'd expect for something with metallic drivers.  There is good detail there but it is not fatiguing nor is this something that only shines when presented with audiophile standard fare.  It's well balanced and does a fair to good job of playing most recordings.
    2.  Even though it is only 84 db efficient when driven (at least with the amplification I'm leveraging) it still tends to have a dynamic and impactful sound.
    3.  It's pretty neutral in demeanor i.e. I'm not getting listener fatigue but neither is it laid back, it's pretty damn well balanced.  
    4.  Bass is pretty tight.
    5.  I can give it quite a bit of volume before it breaks up in the mids or bass.

Granted these impressions are all with me crossing it over to dual subs at 90-100 hz as I do all of my bookshelf speakers so my impressions won't be valid in a stand alone scenario.

BrannigansLawkenrhodes