Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Newark sale on drivers

Some nice stuff at nice prices right now at Newark:

Dynavox 6" Honeycomb midwoofer - $34.14

Dynavox 5" Honeycomb midwoofer - $31.71

Dynavox 5-1/4" Poly midwoofer - $29.20

MCM Audio Select:

1" Large Flange aluminum dome tweeter - $9.15

8" Die Cast Woofer (the KB model, 7.5mm Xmax) - $26.42

3" Die Cast Woofer (KB series, ultra low distortion) - $12.88

1" Silk Dome tweeter - $8.72. Both this tweeter and the aluminum dome use a well designed rear chamber, are very low distortion above 2K or so. 

6.5" Die Cast Woofer (KB model, 7.5mm Xmax) - $21.13

4" Aluminum Cone Woofer - $10.49

4" Die Cast Woofer (KB Series, another very low distortion driver) - $15.86

In addition, it looks like quite a few of their more basic drivers are on sale, as well. The drivers that are essentially identical to the GRS poly drivers at PE, for example. 

I have a signature.
dcibel

Comments

• edited October 2019
    Wow!  Those 8" die cast KB woofers (55-5670) model really great.  A pair of them in parallel in  ~50 Liters vented would make a killer TMWW.
  • Almost identical bass performance to the RS225P-8A for less than half the price!

Must resist... must resist...  must resist...

Ah shucks...  can't resist!
  • Add the extra excursion the KB offers and it is a no-brainer, to be honest.
    I have a signature.
  • anyone have measurements for the 8" KB and measured T/S Specs?
  • Javad, Duane, and Chuck I believe all have first hand experience with them.

I am seeing a small, sealed enclosure using a pair of each 8" per, in an opposed alignment, with a plate amp utilizing some EQ. Take advantage of the long throw. 
    I have a signature.
  • I'm still working on my 55-5665 Iso build...
  • I'll not be isobarically loading them - although that would be fun. 
    I have a signature.
  • I'd really like to try those Dynavox honeycomb drivers, they look pretty cool, but there's very little info at all online about them beyond the spec sheet.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Bought an eight pack....  four 8's and four 4's.
  • Sadly, I'm out of speaker shelf space. I'll have to live vicariously through you Craig. But if there are any amazing deals in Ankeny....
  • Tom_S said:
    Sadly, I'm out of speaker shelf space. I'll have to live vicariously through you Craig. But if there are any amazing deals in Ankeny....
    There should be...
    I have a signature.
  • Ani,

My delivery from Newark is supposed to arrive today.  If you would like I will bring one of the 8's to Ankeny.  You can bring your laptop and DATS and grab the real T/S parameters.  Bring some blue painter's tape and a stack of nickels for the added mass test.
  • edited October 2019
    Thanks Craig! unfortunately, I only have my work laptop with me now, and I can't install anything on it, so i won't be able to measure the T/S specs. I do my measurements and sim work on a dedicated desktop loaded with windows 2007!!! it's an old machine sitting around doing nothing, so it plays streaming services and measurement and simulation s/w...

Waiting for this thanksgiving to buy a shiny new device... but the good thin light ones are soooo expensive
  • edited October 2019
    Depending on how cheaply i can get by at IOWA (I always seem to end up with drivers that i don't need and then buy more drivers to complement those, use neither and buy new ones for the build), I might just get a few...
    DanP
  • I'll bring it anyway.  That way you or anyone else can grope it.
  • Craig - I can bring my LIMP setup if you can bring the tape & some change. 
  • Thanks Craig and Tom... The Manufacturer T/S specs models great, but the actual always tends to be a bit off... !

I'll get the tape and change!!!
  • I'll bring my little digital scale.
  • MCM drivers arrived as expected.  Just for fun I'm breaking one 8" in right now with 60 Hz at xmax.  I will bring another still in its unopened box to measure for comparison.
  • I just tested my LIMP rig - still works like charm! See you tomorrow!
  • I will be experimenting with added mass on the MCM 8". At $26, I won't be out too much if I screw them up. 
    I have a signature.
  • Here are the results from the our attempts in Ankeny. I'll be curious to see how the noise level in the room impacted the measurement.

Fs  = 35.62 Hz
    Re  = 6.49 ohms[dc]
    Le  = 236.44 uH
    L2  = 282.15 uH
    R2  = 6.90 ohms
    Qt  = 0.33
    Qes = 0.44
    Qms = 1.36
    Mms = 19.37 grams
    Rms = 3.175131 kg/s
    Cms = 0.001031 m/N
    Vas = 66.21 liters
    Sd= 213.82 cm^2
    Bl  = 7.975881 Tm
    ETA = 0.65 %
    Lp(2.83V/1m) = 91.14 dB

Added Mass Method:
    Added mass = 25.30 grams
    Diameter= 16.50 cm

ani_101JasonP
  • -- and we were guessing, not measuring the cone diameter.
  • edited October 2019
    Needed to get some boxes out of the floor so a sheet of plywood and a few 2x4s split down the middle and we now have a shelf.  How do you guys store big sub woofers, they take up too much shelf space.

What do you guys suggest for a cheap way to keep crossover parts organized?     

• The Dynavox 5" honeycomb looks cool, and has a very nice FR, but doesn't look like it has any copper in the gap, so distortion is probably mediocre. Am I right?

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Kornbread said:
    Needed to get some boxes out of the floor so a sheet of plywood and a few 2x4s split down the middle and we now have a shelf.  How do you guys store big sub woofers, they take up too much shelf space.

Ideally, lots of medium sized drawers. Other than that, I look for sales on smallish (4 QT, for instance) plastic tubs and label them (IE: CAPS 6-8uF)

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Kornbread said:

These Plano boxes are good for resistors & smaller coils.

These Harbor Freight boxes work well for bigger inductors and caps. They are cheap too - $5 each!

rjj45
  • If you are like many of us, time flies and you'll have a few woofers sitting on the shelf for years. It was told to store them vertically so the cones won't sag over time. I bought some Vifa 5.5" woofers years ago that were sagging badly. The price was great, but it's taken years stored on their backs to return to normal. That reminds me - I should probably check them again.