Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Speaker Stands

I recently finished up these stands.  The center column is hollow and once the speaker cables are trimmed to length to reach the speaker terminals they will be hidden from view. The wood is walnut with a maple accent finished with Natural Watco Danish Oil followed by Minwax wipe-on poly. The tops and bottoms were attached with long #10 deck screws. 

I made a drill guide from a piece of scrape oak and attached it with double stick tape so all the holes would align.

I attached a backer block to the miter with double stick tape to route round overs on the corners of the tops and base.

Attached a scrap of wood with more double stick tape to cut a slot between the terminal plate and through hole to the center post.

Adding a 45 miter to both tops and bottoms.

I'll try to remember to get a picture with the speakers installed when I deliver them.

Ron
jhollanderjr@macGowaani_101S7910Silver1omosquamishdrochifiside6thplanetkenrhodesand 6 others.

Comments

• Which speakers are going on these? I ight steal the hollow core idea... !
  • Dang Ron...your stands are as impressive as your speakers! I love walnut and really like the contrast with the maple center strip.
  • Tom_S said:
    Dang Ron...your stands are as impressive as your speakers! I love walnut and really like the contrast with the maple center strip.
    Thanks Tom. I'm going to try to include some maple accent in a walnut speaker I'm working on.

Ron
  • I really like what you did with the terminal cup and hiding the wire👍
  • Vury nice! I have to nit-pick, why not flush the terminal cup?
  • 6thplanet said:
    Vury nice! I have to nit-pick, why not flush the terminal cup?
    These terminal cups have a small radius on the top edge so you can never really flush mount them. They can be recessed which is something I normally do but decided not to for this project. I did remove the thick foam gasket so there wouldn't be an unsightly gap on the bottom.

Ron

• Beautiful stands! 👍 They really put my cheap pine ones to shame.  Question:  With only 4 bolts spaced close together to secure the top and bottom plates, do you get any side-to-side racking?   Just wondering.  I had to add braces to prevent this on my stands.
  • I've had much lighter built commercial stands that held up just fine except for the time they were used at an IADIY event. The screws that hold the tops and bottoms on are #10 deck screws. The screws holding the tops are 2 1/2" and the bottoms screws are 3 1/2". Those screws are centered in the 3/4" solid walnut sides of the center post. I haven't been able to put the speakers on them yet but it all feels pretty solid. We'll see.

Ron
    jholtz4thtry
  • That's as nice a stand as I've seen. Very impressive.
  • I delivered the stands today and they were a big hit.

Ron
    brek81Gowarjj456thplanetsquamishdrocTurn2jholtzR-CarpenterSilver1omo4thtry
  • Look even better in place.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • They look good together!
  • Matches the floor and furniture very well!
  • Very classy, beautiful work Ron.