Project name: Domin8 TiCu
Since I no longer am in as much of a rush to complete my InDIYana project since I can’t make it, I decided to shift gears a little and put together a new woofer (which I now plan to use for said project and keep the peerless quad together).
One of my hang ups in making more of a woofer than a sub is the voice coils available to the average joe. The easily available ones are typically sub coils, which means long wind lengths and/or four plus layers. This is all fine and dandy for some circumstances, but can make for low sensitivity, high qes/qts, and high inductance.
Some normal coils are available, but not typically what I’m looking for and may need to come from China. China isn’t a big deal but I hate the unknown and long shipping times for a product of unknown quality. I looked into having them wound at a place like Precision Econowind, but the MOQ is prohibitive.
I turned to the encyclopedia that has taught me so many skills - YouTube, and started considering DIYing a coil.
Ebay had the titanium, since thats what the cool kids are into, and the magnet wire.
I made a “winding machine” from a piece of aluminum tubing, drill, some scrap wood, and misc fasteners. Worked out ok.