Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Rattle can paint Video

2»

Comments

• ani_101 said:
    Question, can we just use the small 3" buffer? For a floor stander too? Also the cleaning of the pass was of camera, did you just let a screwdriver dig into the pad for cleaning?
    Hold the screwdriver at a angle and in the correct rotation and the dried compound will fly off.
     Using only a 3” buffer for a tower speaker will take forever. They don’t create enough heat like a 7in one does. 
    ani_101
  • jholtz said:
    Hi Brad,
    Quick question. I normally shoot water based paint which has little if any oder. I'm only interested in shooting the front baffle of various builds (floor standers) gloss black. I found the Spray Max rattle cans I was interested in on Amazon and thought I'd ask the question about shooting it in my basement work shop. The responses were no.
    I set up a temporary paint booth which consists of tarps hanging from the ceiling with plastic covering the floor. I have a large air compressor piped into the work area with plenty of air filtration. However I don't have any air filtration. I use a pro mask but over spray does fill the area.

So my question is can the SprayMax 2K spray cans be used in a spray booth like I've described with out killing me and running my family out of the house in your opinion?

I'd like to step it up from the O'Reilly's rattle cans I'm currently using for the baffle but....

Thanks!

Jim
     I’ve seen some youtubers spray it in there houses😆. Pullout or cover up all the valuables in the garage and use a couple of $10-$15 box fans in the doorways to get a air flow. Making sure it’s at least 70+ degree and parts that your spraying are 70+ degrees. After each coat turn on fans to get the overspray out. That’s how I did it 20 year ago and work well.
  • Thanks Brad,
    I was afraid of that. My basement is 1/2 finished and 1/2 storage which is where my work shop is located and no option that makes sense to vent fumes to the outside. Water based is the healthy solution but I'm not getting the results I want. Spray cans are a simple solution but the fumes are a show stopper.

That said, I picked up a bunch of great techniques and steps I've been skipping that will help a lot. Your videos are a great asset to home DIY'ers like me. Thanks for taking the time to put these together. I'm looking forward to the final installment showing your use of Kilz as a base coat.

Jim
  • I sprayed 2 part epoxy in my garage with my HF HVLP, omg even with a solvent respirator it drove me out of the garage for 30 minutes.  I'm optimistic that the spray max will be much less overspray and I can control it with a push pull fan arrangement.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Yes. Spray guns put off a lot of overspray compared to a rattle can.
  • I'd like something to fill in imperfections and prime. Are there any 2K primer/ fillers that can be rolled? I see the Eastwood optiflow urethane primer but that's $177 per gallon.

I thought roll on primer was hot in the automotive field for awhile but don't see any products other than Eastwood.

• @jhollander said:
    I'd like something to fill in imperfections and prime. Are there any 2K primer/ fillers that can be rolled? I see the Eastwood optiflow urethane primer but that's $177 per gallon.

I thought roll on primer was hot in the automotive field for awhile but don't see any products other than Eastwood.

I ha

I haven’t ran across any I couldn’t roll on. The Kirker perfect prime we do a lot tho.

• I’ve shared it somewhere before rolling on 2k primer.

• This can be both sprayed and rolled? for spraying does it need to be reduced? 1:1 for a starting ratio? Any goto product for reducers?

• And if you only need it in quarts. I’ve used these before.
    Upol-up2251 with Upol-up2327

• @ani_101 said:
    This can be both sprayed and rolled? for spraying does it need to be reduced? 1:1 for a starting ratio? Any goto product for reducers?

No. This is a Primer surfacer John is asking about which are usually mixed 4:1. This type of primer is to filler imperfections and sand scratches.

• @hifiside said:

@ani_101 said:
    This can be both sprayed and rolled? for spraying does it need to be reduced? 1:1 for a starting ratio? Any goto product for reducers?

No. This is a Primer surfacer John is asking about which are usually mixed 4:1. This type of primer is to filler imperfections and sand scratches.

Thanks Brad, so, after using this - which i think would be required for filling in joint voids, etc, can we go directly to paint, or we need another primer. Is this like bondo or in between bondo like gap filler and 2k primer?

• found something called primer filler too.... and non sanding primer.

• @ani_101 said:
    found something called primer filler too.... and non sanding primer.

There’s lots of different primers available

• Thanks Brad. I'm excited to give this a try. Can you mix enough for 2-3 coats? Meaning If I mix, roll, and it flashes in 15 minutes per coat is the pot life in my cup and roller long enough to get a second coat? Third?

• Just read the application data and it looks like there is a 1-2 hour pot life, so I should be good. I saw a 4 hour dry time for dry sanding which is slower than I thought.

• @jhollander said:
    Just read the application data and it looks like there is a 1-2 hour pot life, so I should be good. I saw a 4 hour dry time for dry sanding which is slower than I thought.

They make faster stuff but you might only get one coat per roller or the pot life is 30 minutes. If you can after rolling the 4 hr primer set it in the sun it should cut dry times in half.

• I have rolled polyester primer as well, but it has a really short pot life.

• @ugly_woofer said:
    I have rolled polyester primer as well, but it has a really short pot life.

Yes. Polyester is a great suggestion. I didn’t think anyone would enjoy the smell.

• Not sure I would need the extra build of polyester primer. However, I do need a 2K spot putty/ glazing you guys think cures fast and sands well.

• @jhollander said:
    Not sure I would need the extra build of polyester primer. However, I do need a 2K spot putty/ glazing you guys think cures fast and sands well.

si
    Comes in different sizes. Upol makes some good smaller sized ones too.

• Great, thanks, I had found the Upol, I'll check out the Evercoat.

• I ended up at https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/ Signed up for their emails and got a $25 off coupon code. I was surprised but they had a nice selection of 2K products in quarts.

• @jhollander said:
    I ended up at https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/ Signed up for their emails and got a $25 off coupon code. I was surprised but they had a nice selection of 2K products in quarts.

Yes they do. Pretty quick shipping too.