Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Carl and Stuart build

Comments

• @Tom_S said:
    That already looks sanded and polished in my book. Amazing job on these!

If you look close at the photo, you can see a little bit of orange peel, and there are some dust specks that the camera hid. So I sand. Not exciting, but necessary.

• edited July 2022

Fack , I hate doing this , but I spy, with my little eye, a small block chevy with HEI . Not tryin to turn this into what JR's speaker thread/engine thing turned into . But... Deets ?Sorry or PM

Craig is correct, C3 Corvette. It's got a mild 350. I used a newer block with a one piece rear main seal, AFR 180 heads, Comp XE268 roller cam and Magnum 1.6 roller rockers. I ditched the TH350 trans for a 200 4R. Don't worry about side tracking the thread, it's no big deal, I don't believe that I'm building the world's greatest speakers, and need to keep the thread pure.

PWRRYD
  • This might be the wrong forum for a "Pure" thread. 😜

• Hmm, dis'in the judges early?

PWRRYD
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited July 2022

I didn't intentionally aim that at Javad, but I can see where you could get that idea.. I do believe that Javad will be the wild card this year. We have very different voicing of our speakers, and have actually discussed it, so I can totally see getting lower sound scores from Javad. In the end it really doesn't matter I'm not that uptight about winning, it's just fun for me. Has anyone been in touch with Javad, I haven't spoken with him since APONA.

• It will be interesting to see if we get to introduce our speaker to the judges. I always thought there's some bias when the judges know the designers work.

PWRRYD
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I'm sure that we get to set them up, and yes there will always be a bias, no different than if someone likes a particular brand's sound, but hopefully the judges can look past it to find the gem or root out a stinker. I don't envy the judges, they're in a situation where someone is always going to complain that they were judged unfairly, but the reality is, we all have different tastes in voicing.
    I honestly didn't care for any of the Indy blind speaker entries, including my own, but it doesn't mean that some of them weren't well executed, and I think that the judges at MWAF are able to look at it the same way. As far as Javad being a judge goes, I fully believe that he will be impartial, but just may not care for some of our voicings.

6thplanet
  • edited July 2022

What did you make those hairs out of? Did you sit on the front porch with a cheek full of chaw and a pocketknife and wittle them by hand?

ugly_woofer
  • I was showing the pic to my kids, I told them the hair was green beans painted black! 😂

PWRRYDugly_wooferSteve_Lee
  • He told me earlier it is a rubber cord.

• Buzz kill Wolf, total buzz kill!

6thplanet
  • Yep, rubber, and I tried a bunch of different ways to shape them. I tried a propane torch, a heat gun and various jigs for sanding and slicing as well as other materials in search of a way to make tapered hair, but I ended up using the top of the stationary belt sander and just kind of pulled it back and forth while twisting it to form the taper on two ends at a time.

Steve_Lee
  • Is the strap for the goggles a belt?

• It's a strap off of a purse. I had sent my ex wife to search goodwill stores for it.

kenrhodes
  • Ha! Right on👍🏼

• kenrhodesjr@macNicholas_23Silver1omojhollandersquamishdrocSteve_LeeS79106thplanetBilletand 2 others.
  • For some reason, I thought you had a green metallic base don't know where I saw that. Look great Nick!

• edited July 2022

The bases were metallic green, but I had a paint failure, and while I was re-sealing them, I decided to go with a light gray. My thought was that his shoes showed better.

• I can see that it might.
    Still cool either way...

• un-frickinly way 2 cool, and over the top execution !
    ...and you combed Carl's hair (or is that Stuart?)

I'm a bit saddened as i see the bar is way, way to high (like the day that we had to admit to ourselves that yes, we are too old to date that college cheerleader, not that they would have anyway but yes now the dream has ended)

ugly_woofer6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • Here's how they measure. The suck out at 13k goes away off axis and as usual the junk below 400 or 500 is just the room interaction.

Steve_Leejhollander6thplanetsquamishdroc
  • edited August 2022

Okay here's my two cents. I generally don't give feedback to builder's unless solicited or I hear someone getting unwarranted opinions on their design. The reason I refrain from giving a critique or opinion is...it's just that, an opinion. I see it the same as telling someone that they bought the wrong color car, when it is just a matter of taste, plain and simple, and while on the car analogy, most speakers are a bit like a black car, it looks beautiful and sharp when clean, but dirt sticks out like a sore thumb. Many speakers are the same in that when playing good quality recordings they are sharp, but play a not so great recording and fatigue and unpleasantness is immediate. Jr made an excellent test demo for Indy this year, and the opera track was a perfect example of this exact situation.
    I have been preaching for years that you're the only person who needs to like your speaker. Opinions can be helpful if you're unsure of what you've built AND you asked for them, but if you're happy with your creation who gives a shit if others don't like them. Relax and enjoy the hobby, and feel free to compliment others, just don't do the opposite without being asked. A fair number of us can make a speaker sound tonally any way that we choose, dark, bright, hyper detailed, lean, muddy, forward and so on. How we each choose is just that a choice, nothing is perfect, if such a thing could even exist, once again what's the perfect color or tasting food.
    While I'm pissing people off, here's another one. Saying someone doesn't know what they're doing, too many parts or wrong topology, give it a rest. Sometimes you have to beat a driver combo into submission, and yes it can be argued that they shouldn't have been paired, but it's a hobby and sometimes just sometimes it's entertaining to pair difficult drivers.....Indy challenge? I'll wrap this up, can we please stop making everything a competition and just have fun.

Steve_LeeSilver1omotajanesjhollander6thplanetjr@macBilletS7910
  • Well put.
    ...and after seeing this build in person, hats off dude! Stunning workmanship.

• I doubt you will piss anyone off with this post, Nick. I think the vast majority of us are not particularly interested in competition as our primary focus. As far as all that goes, there will never be a set of rules that satisfies everyone. According to people smarter than myself, sighted listening sessions are inherently flawed and results are just not reliable so take things with a grain of salt. Throw confirmation bias into the mix and the results are even less reliable.

This is a hobby, and while we are very good at what we do - it is just a hobby. I agree with you that offering unsolicited negative feedback is fairly rude and condescending. I will give my opinion in private, and have done so many times, but never without being solicited and never in a public forum.

At the end of the day, we DIY for the sake of DIY and all that entails. There is no rational reason for what we do and we would all do better if we took it a little less seriously.

I think that is why we abandoned the competition aspect at MAC events. Not because we don't believe in it necessarily, but because there are already enough of them around. We have even abandoned door prizes in pursuit of making this thing of ours strictly about the speakers and the music. Indy has its niche, Meniscus/CSS has its niche, and we have ours. There is something for everyone.

That being said, I am betting my 5" Motus/Viawave 2-way would have smoked all competition at all price points in all categories - including the Dayton only category. That is how awesome they are :P

ugly_wooferSteve_Lee6thplanetPWRRYDS7910
    I have a signature.
  • Haven't been following the group much lately, so not sure where that came from but you know me. Dude, IMO, the build is freakin awesome! Don't know how you pulled it off to such an outstandingly high mark. Stuff like the hair and clothes ... over the top phenomenal! I just look at the build and shake my head in what you were able to create. Maybe one day I can make it to a meet and not only see and hear the creations, but put a face and personality to the internet banter ... one of these days.

• edited August 2022

Thanks for the compliments guys.
    Kornbread my rant had nothing to do with this build, it's just something that has been bothering me from various get togethers, and just needed to say it. Here's to just having fun B) .

Steve_LeeBillet
  • edited October 2022

Kudos !!!
    audioXpress cover

KornbreadRon_ESteve_LeehifisideWolfjhollander6thplanetBilletSilver1omoTurn2and 1 other.