Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Nighthawks(my kids called them Darth Vader) build

Comments

• Very good advice/suggestions. Although i did rough up the aluminum with low grit sand paper and also wiped with acetone and still had a failure. I would advise anyone trying something similar to find a better epoxy than system 3(maybe it was just the particular on i tried,they proclaimed its ability to bond aluminum to wood though.). I would also say to pay very close attention to any process that may put heat into the wood/aluminum, ultimately I believe the heat was the main culprit.
  • I decided to make some feet for the woofer enclosure so i made an oak aluminum sandwich yum.

• Here they are after all the machine work and paint.

PWRRYDSilver1omojoeybuttsR-Carpentersquamishdroc
  • Gorgeous build.  Gorgeous M. 
  • Thanks Joey!
  • Here is a pic of the baffle painted, my dad wanted them black. Initially i tried do a really dark stain on some test pieces but wasn't happy with the result. The process was black rattle can multiple coats and then satin lacquer clear. 

tajanesTurn2kenrhodesSilver1omoS7910GowaThumperTom
  • One last test fit before driver installation. Actually i believe i just couldn't wait to see what the woofer section and baffle looked like together lol.

hifisideSilver1omodynamojholtzTurn26thplanetsquamishdrocjoeybuttsGowaThumperTom
  • That is stinking sweet looking. 
  • How did you get the aluminum to clean up after the pain and clear?
  • Believe it or not, I back masked all the aluminum with tape. It took forever to get the tape right.  Then sprayed the black, then removed the tape and sprayed the clear. I wanted clear over the aluminum because i wanted it to remain the brushed look that it had, i was afraid it would oxidize over time.
    dynamoani_101
  • Just seeing this for the first time.  Wow.
  • Wow those are hideous. That ugly junk is probably just cluttering up your house. I’d take one for the team and be willing to store them in my house I guess..

Seriously though, a beautiful design and perfect execution! I’m usually only capable of getting a little ways to just one of those objectives! 
  • They look great!
  • Pics of the mid/tweeter wiring. I did a lot of measurements including impedance and FR between prototype xover were the wiring was out in the open vs the way the tweeter leads go around the mid because i was concerned it may interact but there was no difference that i could measure.

Silver1omosquamishdrocjoeybuttsGowaThumperTom
  • Hey Adam, I noticed in your builds (this one and the one you had a MWAF last year with the Satori and Anarchy woofers) the mods are rear mounted. Does the FR or how much do they get affected by rear mounting? They obviously work, as your designs sound great, but wondering if there is an effect and that needs to be taken care of in the XO.
  • I couldn't find any images of the testing for the nighthawks on this(it was basically the same result), but here is the satori on two baffles identically shaped. One baffle the mid is surface mounted, the darker trace has the mid rear mounted with a 45 degree bevel that terminates below the level of the surround. I really like playing with different shapes and angles and measuring the effect, fun for me.

ani_101
  • That's amazing, the darker trace, seems to be smoother and counteracts the surround wiggles! Should try it with my satori mid. You are using the 4" right? I have the 6" one.
  • mw13p it think its a 5"
  • Roughly where in relationship to the surround height does the 45 deg chamfer start?
  • I would say around 3/4 of the way to the top if you put a straight edge on the 45
  • finishing up the wiring, installing tweeter

squamishdroc
  • All I have left are finished pics so here they go....

• Wow - those are showroom quality!

And I spy some RC trucks in the background. 
  • Those look great!  And I can see what you were saying about the chamfer depth now that the drivers are mounted.  Thanks.
  • The effect sure is stunning. I still say running the connections via the aluminum to the tweeter and mid might have been a hassle, but prove more stealthy and minimal. That or the Jacob's Ladder through them to keep the kids away.

BTW- I have not seen photos of the sub you have there, Adam, but that looks slick too! I also see you still have the Def-tech 5.25" build in the corner...
  • haha yeah, i remember us talking about that. I really wanted to do the connections that way but I couldnt figure out a good solution. Would have been sweet though. Yeah the old def-tech mtm's are still hangin around, my first build for home audio. The sub has a 10" peerless xxls/passive radiator and an Oaudio plate amp with cherry veneer and birdseye maple.