Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

miter saw rec's

I'm looking at adding a miter saw to my tool kit... and could use some advice.

The Jet seems to be a solid choice (I have their floor drill press), but it’s not a compact design.
The Delta Cruzer looks interesting (can keep on a tabletop against the wall) but I’ve read some concerns on accuracy at extension. The Bosch rates up near the top but concerns listed on plastic parts.

Additionally, I’m thinking of going with a 10in vs 12in. If I have a table saw do I need a 12 in?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• If you step up to a 12" slide, you will be surprised how much less you use a table saw. Cross-cutting is a dream on a large slide miter.

Rip on table saw, cross cut on miter. Your cabinet skills will ramp up. Cross cut ranges up to 12-14". Throw the sled away! I plan on adding one soon enough.

R-Carpenter
    I have a signature.
  • I really like my 10" Ryobi chop-saw, but I can see how having a sliding-miter with double-tilt would be better. Those features were added about 3-5 yrs after I got mine, as well as a laser-guide line. I'm limited on width, but I still use it A LOT.

• Don't remember what brand of sliding mitre I got from Lowes but it's blue. Anyhow, don't get it. There is enough flex in the rail that depending on how you pull the saw the cut can be off by a mile from start to finish.

ScottS
  • Bigger is better. I stepped up to a 12-inch but a slider would be better. There's never enough cross cut capacity imo

JasonP
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I enjoy my DeWalt compound slide 12.....

• I have the 12" Ryobi chop saw. If you set it up for perfect 90* cuts then the 45 indentions are off. Tweak it for 45's, 90's are off. My opinion, pass on them. ....but do look into 12" blade.

• I had the top of the line Kobalt (Lowe’s brand) which I think was talked about above. Great saw for framing and house construction but not finish work, to much play in everything. I have a Festool now and love it. I bought it cheap off craigslist.

• I have a 10" compound Ryobi. Like Brad said, great for building decks and such, but not for finish work.

• I have a Makita compound sliding saw which I have always liked. I got it from one of the refurbished tool places at a very good price and it was in brand new condition. I have not had problems with accuracy with this one. On the other hand, I once had a Ryobi table saw that was terrible, and wouldn't hold any kind of setting.

• Another thought. Last time I was in a pawn shop, I was impressed by the number of contractor power tools they had available. Might be worth checking.
    I think I bought my Makita from CPO outlet. I just ran a scan for refurb tools, and a lot of sources popped up, including Amazon. DeWalt had an entry that listed where they send their refurb tools for sale.

tajanesrjj45
  • Im a fan of CPO , bought four milwaukee reburb bare tools from them and theyre still running fine.

• edited August 2020

@joeybutts said:
    I enjoy my DeWalt compound slide 12.....

I also have the DeWalt 12" double compound slider. Picked it up at Home Depot a couple years ago. They had a special at $600 which included a nice $200 contractor stand. One of the best power tool investments I have ever made. I think it will cross cut up to 16" (Edit: max is 15.75" My Sears radial arm saw (10") will only cross cut up to 17". Needless to say, I never use my radial arm. It just sits in the basement corner and gathers dust!!)

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWS780-12-Inch-Sliding-Compound/dp/B00540JS7C

I still use my table saw for long rip cuts, but everything else is done on the slider.

joeybutts
  • @hifiside said:
    I had the top of the line Kobalt (Lowe’s brand) which I think was talked about above. Great saw for framing and house construction but not finish work, to much play in everything. I have a Festool now and love it. I bought it cheap off craigslist.

The Festool saw is excellent, there's no going back to lesser stuff now!

• @ugly_woofer said:

@hifiside said:
    I had the top of the line Kobalt (Lowe’s brand) which I think was talked about above. Great saw for framing and house construction but not finish work, to much play in everything. I have a Festool now and love it. I bought it cheap off craigslist.

The Festool saw is excellent, there's no going back to lesser stuff now!

Everything I have festool has never disappointed me. Great tools but the price yikes.

• Even the festool vacuums are quiet and smooth running, but they definitely charge a premium for their products.

• edited August 2020

thx for all the input !

the festool is a top contender, makita has a compound with a forward sliding set-up as well that lets it sit near a wall at 1/2 the price...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-15-Amp-10-in-Dual-Bevel-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw-with-Laser-LS1019L/302717166

(also offered in a 12 in for you big dogs)

you can't always get what you want, but you get what you need.... do I need the festool ?

• You don't need the festool, I was just pointing out that it's in another league. The Makita that you linked is actually more than adequate, and as you pointed out half the price.

• At the risk of being ridiculed, have you looked at the Harbor Freight Hercules 12” miter saw? It doesn’t seem to be a standard Harbor Freight product as they offer a 1 year, no questions asked warranty. Normally $350 (don’t know if you can use the 20% off super coupon) and has been on sale for $300 in the past. Lot’s of reviews compare it to the DeWalt 12 in saw. This is the most balanced review I’ve seen on Youtube (and a source of how to adjust the vertical angle): https://youtube.com/watch?v=CPEWOgIAy4c. YMMV.

• Ed, thanks.
    I'm looking for one that I can mount on a table (with drop area) against the wall, so looking for sliding forward design.

• I believe that Makita you linked is the same one I bought, but I only paid about $330 IIRC from CPO a number of years ago. It has been faultless. Mine doesn't have a laser, don't know if the newer model does.

• Stephen,
    Good to know- thx

btw: having a laser cuts down on my excuses ~like my golf game, it helps to play on a windy day....

hifiside
  • The laser is really only good for framing type work, not precision stuff. I leave mine off all of the time.

joeybutts
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    The laser is really only good for framing type work, not precision stuff. I leave mine off all of the time.

I agree. Never trust the laser unless rough cutting....

• edited September 2020

what do you use for precise cuts?

Let me qualify that - how do you setup the saw for cuts? i have only used it at the workshop for rough cuts. Hardly ever used the table saw....

• @ani_101 said:
    what do you use for precise cuts?

Let me qualify that - how do you setup the saw for cuts? i have only used it at the workshop for rough cuts. Hardly ever used the table saw....

it seems like measuring several times and stop blocks are the preferred way if you need repeatability, if not measure, mark and lower the saw (off) to check it lines up with the mark.

• I used blocks clamped to the table, but trying to get anything using the tape measure is always off. The angle also doesn't seem to line up, even 90 degree is iffy...

Does any of these saws have positive stops that once aligned retains precision?

• Good tape measures need calibrated, cheap tape measures run out more than you think, and many people do not really use them right to begin with.

I have a signature.
  • Festool has these things. They work good for multiple cuts the same size. .

jr@macani_101