Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New SDX15 Prototype - It Looks Good!

This is still pretty early as it likely won't be until sometime next year when we are able to buy these due to the high cost per unit coupled with a high MOQ, but Dan and I are super excited about what we just got back in Klippel testing and wanted to share. This is a third party Klippel test of the updated design using a new and improved suspension, new aluminum cone, new basket (should be less likely to have a break like Javad got on the SDX10), and coupled to the same motor on the SDX12 and verifies the numbers we got from the factory on their machine.

The numbers below highlighted in the box are 10% distortion numbers. Using the 20% subwoofer numbers we look to be close to 30mm verified linear excursion.

rjj45jholtzjhollanderSilver1omoani_1016thplanetjr@macJasonPBryan@MACD1PP1Nand 3 others.

Comments

• That's awesome... is it going to be a silver cone or would it get anodized?

I would be interested in a few units, so if you are running a pre-sale/buy let me know. I am sure quite a few people would be too

• How stout of a tweeter is needed for a 2 way? πŸ˜›
    That thing is freaking awesome!!!

• Ah! Got your hands on some Thilo Stompler (TC Sounds) style baskets! Pretty certain that frame style became open-source after the demise of the company. Is that a spaced dual spider, or a quad assembly?

I was really surprised that the SDX10 frame (Alpine Type R/JBL style baskets) broke. I thought those were pretty stout.

• @ani_101 said:
    That's awesome... is it going to be a silver cone or would it get anodized?

I would be interested in a few units, so if you are running a pre-sale/buy let me know. I am sure quite a few people would be too

We're still debating on whether we should go silver or black (or possibly some of each). We will probably be running either a pre-order sale or potentially something like a Kickstarter and have discounts for those who go early like we did with the LD25X.

• @6thplanet said:
    How stout of a tweeter is needed for a 2 way? πŸ˜›
    That thing is freaking awesome!!!

Haha, not sure about that one. We haven't measured the frequency response yet to see how high it is useable.

• @Wolf said:
    Ah! Got your hands on some Thilo Stompler (TC Sounds) style baskets! Pretty certain that frame style became open-source after the demise of the company. Is that a spaced dual spider, or a quad assembly?

I was really surprised that the SDX10 frame (Alpine Type R/JBL style baskets) broke. I thought those were pretty stout.

Yeah, it's an open source frame and looks to be the same as what they used. I was surprised that the SDX10 failed like that as well. His cabinet obviously took a very hard drop based on the box and cabinet damage. But when we went back and really looked at it, the frames have a spot where they get rather thin right at the mounting flange transition. We were worried that if we ever ship any subs finished this would be an even bigger point of concern on the SDX12 or SDX15.

ani_101rjj45
  • Just outstanding!!!!!!!

NavyGuy
  • Oh God. There ya go........ suuuuuucking me in. Lol. I won’t be showing this to my son who has the dual SDX12’s in his trunk. No way. Nope.

NavyGuy
    My signature goes here
  • @NavyGuy said:

@ani_101 said:

We're still debating on whether we should go silver or black (or possibly some of each). We will probably be running either a pre-order sale or potentially something like a Kickstarter and have discounts for those who go early like we did with the LD25X.

Hi Kerry,
    If you are polling for interest in pre-order sales or kickstarters, please consider me very interested in joining in on that.
    Thanks,
    Craig

• It's a beauty, even with the silver cone. I am not a fan of plain silver aluminum cones, so if my vote counts I vote for satin black anodizing, heavy enough to smooth over the machine lines, similar to what SB does on their aluminum drivers.

JasonPPWRRYDani_101
    I have a signature.
  • It needs to be available in an iridescent finish, that's the only way to go :)

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @PWRRYD said:

@NavyGuy said:

@ani_101 said:

Hi Kerry,
    If you are polling for interest in pre-order sales or kickstarters, please consider me very interested in joining in on that.
    Thanks,
    Craig

It would still be a ways out before we even start a pre-order on these most likely. We are reordering some of our other products right now that we are running low on so we won't have much cash on had to start the ordering process for the SDX15. We would probably need a pre-order of 50 or so to be able to consider starting it sooner than early 2021.

• I'm leaning more toward black too. My thought is that I know there are definitely people in the HT crowd that would not buy it strictly because it's silver (light reflection concerns). I don't think the opposite is true. Some people might prefer the silver look but I don't think they wouldn't buy because it's black.

rjj45jr@macThumperTom
  • @NavyGuy said:
    I'm leaning more toward black too. My thought is that I know there are definitely people in the HT crowd that would not buy it strictly because it's silver (light reflection concerns). I don't think the opposite is true. Some people might prefer the silver look but I don't think they wouldn't buy because it's black.

I agree.

• # MUST...... RESIST......

DanPJasonP
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @rjj45 said:
    # MUST...... RESIST......

Well... who would resist?

rjj45
    I have a signature.