Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Show your cables

2»

Comments

• Those look really nice, Ben. Giving me the itch to build some fine veil-lifting wonders myself.

• If at all possible, please use this sleeving selection. It's quieter in use as it does not grate or grind against itself or othe objects, and is also more flexible. Color options are plenty. This stuff is also what JR used on his speaker cables. Also of note; adhesive heatshrink is your friend, a heat gun is an asset just don't hit the poly cotton with it, a hot knife or old soldering iron is good for cutting the sheathing to length without fraying, and soldering the bananas on is a good idea for longevity.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_blrs=recall_filtering&_ssn=superiorsell2014&store_cat=0&store_name=superiorsell2014&_oac=1&_nkw=sleeve sheath cotton

jhollander
  • Just did these, patterned after some older XLO Signature speaker cables. I found the clear BFA-Z on Amazon, but apparently they are cheaper elsewhere. Solder type 4pole Neutrik SpeakOns wired as 2pole since I had them, using 2/16x10' copper as a single strand per, then once sheathed, twisted and resheathed with clear nylon sheathing. Clear heatshrink for majority, black at the y joint. This is very flexible for being equivalent 13awg. Color sheathing from Superiorsell2014, in clear PET/purple cotton and clearPET/blue cotton varieties. Not as inexpensive due to 3x the sheathing for the look intended.
    I took the shots in direct front and across from the side lighting angles, adding closeup for detail.

6thplanetjhollanderhifisidekenrhodessquamishdroc
  • Nice job!

• Dang son! Those look stellar!

• 10/3 power cord I built about ten years ago. Might build another one, one of these days.

hifisidekenrhodes6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • If I remember right, that is the Techflex 'Snakeskin' sheathing. I always liked that color and pattern, but wish it came in more colors. Looks good, JR!

• Nice looking mains cable JR. You use that fatty to feed the dreadnaught? Wolf your speaker cable look very nice. If they said some (fill in the boutique audiophile) brand name they would be $$$.

• edited January 2023

@tommytunes50 said:
    Nice looking mains cable JR. You use that fatty to feed the dreadnaught? Wolf your speaker cable look very nice. If they said some (fill in the boutique audiophile) brand name they would be $$$.

It is too short for that application - I am currently using the cable that came with it.

I plan on building a longer one, though. Still deciding on color scheme, though these are the plugs I will be using:

I have a signature.
  • @Wolf said:
    If I remember right, that is the Techflex 'Snakeskin' sheathing. I always liked that color and pattern, but wish it came in more colors. Looks good, JR!

Yeah, it probably was the PE Techflex. Using the word "flex" in it was a bit of a stretch, though. Looks nice. Still trying to figure out what to use it on. Too short for where my amp sits relative to the outlet.

I have a signature.
  • Nice liking plugs. A big Accuphase integrated is on my “lust” list. Someday 😉

jr@mac
  • @jr@mac said:

@Wolf said:
    If I remember right, that is the Techflex 'Snakeskin' sheathing.

Yeah, it probably was the PE Techflex. Using the word "flex" in it was a bit of a stretch, though. .

Techflex is the brand name, FlexoPet is the type of product (meaning flex in size I'm sure). What is also funny is that PE does not carry the Snakeskin color pattern, and only the solid colors and FlexoPet, Clean Cut, Flexo Wrap types; unless it's an actual PE product.
    Tommy, thank you!

• My brother gifted me a 50 foot roll of Belkin PureAV a few years ago, so when I ran out the 16ga OFC wire that I normally use, I decided to press this premium cable into service. I'll be using it to drive the main speakers in my new 8 channel, multi-amp Equalizer APO testing system. I doubt that I will be able to hear a difference, but the cable looks much better than my other cables. On the negative side, I found it extremely difficult to attach the bananas, as the cable consists of a combination of thin litz wire, braided wire, and double insulated solid wire. I had to double strip several inner and outer insulation layers, carefully twist the fragile litz without breaking it, and then quickly solder the end to keep it from unraveling. The packaging says "99.9997% oxygen-free, PCOCC conductors . . . "

6thplanetsquamishdroc
  • I must say I've never disliked Belkin products I've used, and the price is usually decent.
    Is there a chance you could show a cut off end so we can see the wires? I'd like to see what you dealt with.

• Here you go:

6thplanetjhollanderugly_wooferhifisideWolf
  • Stuff seems overly complicated for "speaker wire".

4thtryWolf
  • edited May 2023

I agree. It all adds up to 16 awg. Looks like a combo of solid #24, #22, #20 and fine twisted litz. The #20 solid wire still has the insulation on it, which I removed before twisting it all together and soldering. When I tried to twist it together, it would spring back apart again. Took me quite a few tries to get a good solder flow across all the wires.

• All those different sizes of wires are for three dimensional soundstage, it’s all about arrival times.😊🤦🏻‍♂️

4thtry6thplanetWolfsquamishdrocTurn2ScottS
  • edited May 2023

They have a built-in crossover. The lows go through the thick strands and the highs through the fine strands. =)

4thtry6thplanetWolfsquamishdroc
  • Ahhhh, OFC wire. Opposed Frequency Combination

• edited May 2023

I made these a while back. They're just Mogami....err ...I mean cryogenic, heat treated, time synchronized, magic conductors.

jr@machifisidetajanessquamishdroc6thplanet
  • All we need are bolts on the back of our speakers (Frankenstein connectors)

• edited October 2023

I made these almost 40 years ago. They are #2 welding cable and are 25 feet long. Sure is nice when you can't park grill to grill or right next to the car that needs a jump.

jholtz6thplanet
  • @PWRRYD said:

I made these almost 40 years ago. They are #2 welding cable and are 25 feet long. Sure is nice when you can't park grill to grill or right next to the car that needs a jump.

I have a set that are about 12 feet long, and were originally used to jumpstart big rigs. Very heavy construction. Keep them in the Ol' Sorento.

I have a signature.