Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off-topic: career changes

13»

Comments

• So how many of us actually ended up working in the field we started out / studied for?

A piece of great advice my father early on told me; he said son find something you enjoy doing as you will be doing it for a long fricken (or something like that) time, and if you find what your enjoy doing / working you have a better chance than not of being successful

jr@mac
  • I Never really went to school to get a job. Landed in the automotive industry and have not had to move much to get where I am today. If I were to go back and do it all again I might get more into automation or product development. I am lucky to be in west Michigan where we have not felt the economic downturns as harshly as most. Currently, the area is short on workers and the shortage has no end in sight. Those that are willing to work can earn a living. I wish this were the case everywhere.

• Went to school for electronics, I work in electronics. Guess it does happen sometimes?

• edited February 2021

@tajanes said:
    So how many of us actually ended up working in the field we started out / studied for?

I'm working in the field I studied.

Making a wild career change would be damn hard, all my experience/skill are on the same place...

• I hear second generation farmers say the same thing.
    "I'm working in the field I studied."

• edited February 2021

.... or ‘he’s outstanding in his field’...

kenrhodes
  • I was dumb enough to get BA degree in TV, Radio, & Film production and then stay in that field in a medium market. I should have jumped at the few chances I had to make a career move years ago. I do actually like my work and I know I'm a valued employee - but the pay is pathetic in this market.

Billet
  • @Tom_S said:
    I do actually like my work and I know I'm a valued employee

Don't underestimate the value of that!

• No doubt. Especially for those of us who have been AARP members for a few years now! ;)

• I've been a life member of AARP going on five years now. It is a benefit due to my wifes work.

I have a signature.
  • AARP started sending me membership invites several years ago... about the time I started really going gray... wonder how they knew? :)
    TomZ

• I told them.

WolfPWRRYDkenrhodesTurn2
  • It's really miserable when they start sending you emails about funeral insurance!

Geoff

• @GeoffMillar said:
    It's really miserable when they start sending you emails about funeral insurance!

Geoff

It's worse when they send a flyer for cremation services.

Ron

• @Ron_E said:

@GeoffMillar said:
    It's really miserable when they start sending you emails about funeral insurance!

Geoff

It's worse when they send a flyer for cremation services.

Ron

A disturbing portion of my mail includes that, free meal invitations from "experts" in managing my finances into retirement, and limited care facilities/old folks' homes. :#

• I think I'll have a special run of cones made, damped with my ashes. Think Eminence would go for that?😛

jr@macugly_wooferSilver1omo
  • Maybe have your picture on the dust cap?

6thplanetPWRRYD
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I love that idea!

• Would it "dead en ' the cone?

Silver1omo6thplanet
  • Seems it may be a fairly lifeless sound.

Silver1omo
    I have a signature.
  • Dying to hear it.

• @jhollander said:
    Maybe have your picture on the dust cap?

I dunno about that- Then John would have to make another 'colorful' speaker... Would you want to be entombed/enshrined in a purple OB design?

• Not sure if Eric kicks before me, but I would be honored to make an urn speaker for his ashes.

Probably use Audax drivers in double wall construction. Use ashes in place of sand or kitty litter.

A purple urn is probably not bad ass enough tho

jr@macSilver1omo6thplanet
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Is this beating a dead Eric.......um, I mean horse.

• I'll save my femur for proper cab bracing.

jr@mac
  • I'm planning on a green burial. Untreated pine box, buried under a tree.

Turn2Silver1omo
    I have a signature.
  • Speaking of career changes, some of you could be comedic writers. 😛