Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Back in the shop!

2»

Comments

• I've been busy working on these the past few weeks - just haven't posted any updates. Made some jigs for the Airborne cutout. Had a tiny bobble, so I'll have to use a little Bondo, but it's really not too bad. I also picked up an Amana 15/64s plunge bit to help dial in the Jasper Jig to metric speaker holes. I got some nice Madrone burl veneer in the mail last week. Never heard of that species, but it looks very nice. This will be my first attempt working with raw veneer. I'm going to take Tom Z's advice and give the MDF a few months to acclimate so I don't have any issues with joint seams showing up.

Silver1omoPWRRYDjhollanderkenrhodesrjj456thplanetTurn2Gowa4thtryScottSand 3 others.
  • Shawn A used Madrone Burl on his 'Ze Clonads' back in 2007. His looked more like spots, but just as figured.

• Cool looking veneer Tom!

• Since no one around here carries veneer: How did they package the veneer for shipping? Damage? Costly to ship?

• edited December 2020

Every time I've purchased veneer online it has arrived rolled up to about a 10-12" diameter and placed in a tall 12" × 12" cardboard box. A very light weight, affordable package. Never had any damage.

• I have no local veneer around here either except for the Band-It veneer sold at Lowes and Menards (same PE sells). I have used that a couple times, but the veneer I have bought online is much nicer for equal or less cost.

• I buy from here https://blowoutveneer.com/

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • This was from VeneerSupplies.com. They taped it to two heavy pieces of cardboard, shipped in a sturdy box. It's pretty flat, but I bought some softener in case I need it.

• @jhollander said:
    I buy from here https://blowoutveneer.com/

Thanks - they have good prices and selection!

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!