Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The Nicholas Challenge

124»

Comments

• @Nicholas_23 said:

@PWRRYD said:
    Yay! I finished the tube preamp project this morning and have been listening to it for a while today. Wow! I love how it sounds. Zero hum and I can barely hear the tiniest bit of hiss with my ear right next to the tweeter. The circuit is based on TubeCad's CCDA topology. I wired in a toggle switch so I can run octal tubes that have either 6.3 volt filaments or 12.6 volt. Right now I'm listening to some NOS Sylvania JAN-12SN7GT's. The JAN stands for Joint-Army-Navy and these have a small US and anchor printed on the base. They are the same tube as the famous 6SN7, only difference is the heater voltage is 12.6 V. Tom send me some RCA 6SN7's he tested so those will go in there next. Here is the money shot with the tubes glowing. I'll try and snap an under the hood shot later.

They only touch them ONCE! LOL.

6thplanet
  • @Kornbread said:

Probably shouldn't admit this, but I have at least one Lawrence Welk and quite a few other big bands on vinyl.

There was an episode of "Get Smart" where CONTROL was trying to eavesdrop on the KAOS computer, but all they could get was Lawrence Welk music. The Chief says to Max "KAOS has no mercy"!

Geoff

• Man, I can listen to most any kind of music and find at least some kind of enjoyment ... except for modern country and rap.

• Is the related cat photo relating to the tube-amp like that of a moth to a flame? If not, please fill me in....

• @Wolf said:
    I'm with you there, Kb!

That's why they play that pathetic excuse for music in all the country bars around here; it leads their customers to drink. The good stuff, Cash, Wall, etc. I'm fine wit dat.

• Hmm I like rap, not all. Not sure what modern country is...

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Kid Rock

• Can't see John hangin' wit Luda...

Kid's been a poser since the late '80s, and still wears the Derby hat. Just happened that Bawitdaba stuck in heads, and the main line there wasn't even original.

• Modern country is all that over-produced, quantized to suck the life (and any real human groove) right out of it, Bro-country & drum machine crap that plays on most corporate stations these days. I really miss the days when AutoTune, mixing in the box, & sampling wasn't a thing in Nashville. My wife really likes them, but Florida Georgia Line can suck my &%@$!

kenrhodes
  • edited January 2021

Pop music in a southern accent is not country. ;)

Is Curb Lund popular in the US ?

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @Tom_S said:
    Modern country is all that over-produced, quantized to suck the life (and any real human groove) right out of it, Bro-country & drum machine crap that plays on most corporate stations these days. I really miss the days when AutoTune, mixing in the box, & sampling wasn't a thing in Nashville. My wife really likes them, but Florida Georgia Line can suck my &%@$!

That's it.

• @Wolf said:
    Is the related cat photo relating to the tube-amp like that of a moth to a flame? If not, please fill me in....

In my house that's the first look after the subtle click of a laser pen. The glow of the tubes...get it!

Just a hunch though.

• Thats smudge the cat , I took that picture awhile back when I found some wild catnip and fed it to him. He was about to go in for the kill on another leaf and I snapped that pic with his mouth open. It looks like he has an amazed look on his face , hence the picture post.

• @Tom_S said:
    Modern country is all that over-produced, quantized to suck the life (and any real human groove) right out of it, Bro-country & drum machine crap that plays on most corporate stations these days. I really miss the days when AutoTune, mixing in the box, & sampling wasn't a thing in Nashville. My wife really likes them, but Florida Georgia Line can suck my &%@$!

This video hits the nail on the head B)

https://youtube.com/watch/aT9iox7jH1g