Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The Nicholas Challenge

Comments

• Recently Christian McBride on NPR featured the Zawinul Syndicate from Lincoln Center, and the bassist was really tearing it up. Could not believe he played the whole tune with 32nd notes. Sheesh!

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited December 2020

Weather permitting I may just squeak in 2 more projects this year. I finished building my big 3 way system with the MCM 8" woofers, Tang band W5-2143 5" mids, and Viawave GRT-145 ribbons. I was able to finish taking all my measurements yesterday. So xo design time.

I also have enough wood to build a large pair of bookshelf speakers to gift to my friend for his shop. They will be 22 Liters ported using the Peerless SDS-160F25PR01-08 woofers and the MCM Audio Select 53-5165 aluminum dome tweeters. These will be particle board/Duratex enclosures. Probably will surface mount the tweeters too! It's a metal building with a concrete floor, so madisound buyout mylar caps, NPE's, buyout solid core inductors, and all that jazz.

• edited December 2020

@rjj45 said:
    Recently Christian McBride on NPR featured the Zawinul Syndicate from Lincoln Center, and the bassist was really tearing it up. Could not believe he played the whole tune with 32nd notes. Sheesh!

If I read correctly thats ninja fast

• @PWRRYD said:
    Weather permitting I may just squeak in 2 more projects this year. I finished building my big 3 way system with the MCM 8" woofers, Tang band W5-2143 5" mids, and Viawave GRT-145 ribbons. I was able to finish taking all my measurements yesterday. So xo design time.

I also have enough wood to build a large pair of bookshelf speakers to gift to my friend for his shop. They will be 22 Liters ported using the Peerless SDS-160F25PR01-08 woofers and the MCM Audio Select 53-5165 aluminum dome tweeters. These will be particle board/Duratex enclosures. Probably will surface mount the tweeters too! It's a metal building with a concrete floor, so madisound buyout mylar caps, NPE's, buyout solid core inductors, and all that jazz.

Ya got me , what are you after for drivers

jr@mac
  • Tweeter looks pretty good I am curious to see what the frequency response is.

• Hey, is that a Stanley Leverlock under that tweeter?

Billet
  • Just warm enough (barely) and enough day light after work to get the PB panels cut.

• @Tom_S said:
    Hey, is that a Stanley Leverlock under that tweeter?

Yes. Good eye Tom!

• I'm a bit inebriated right now, but I have a cool story about how awesome Stanley tape measures are.

I have a signature.
  • Your gonna wear that table saw out at this rate Craig! You're on a roll!

@jr@mac said:
    I'm a bit inebriated right now, but I have a cool story about how awesome Stanley tape measures are.

Enquiring minds want to know!

• @Tom_S said:
    Your gonna wear that table saw out at this rate Craig! You're on a roll!

I know.... but I'm really having fun!

@jr@mac said:
    I'm a bit inebriated right now, but I have a cool story about how awesome Stanley tape measures are.

Enquiring minds want to know!

Yes! I have two Stanley tape measures and like them much better than some other brands I have had.

• Many years ago now (ca2012), the steel company I worked for did extensive testing of tape measures. We tested approximately 25 1"x25' tapes ranging from $4 to $30 or so. We had a precision cut-to-length machine that we set to 300", and using the tape we marked out 1 ft sections, and then used a precision steel rule to measure the final section.

The Stanley Fat Maxx original was the only tape tested that had zero runout. Some were over 2" inaccurate over 25'. Pretty amazing, to be honest.

Silver1omoRon_E4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • I think Tom was enquiring about JR?

• @Nicholas_23 said:

@PWRRYD said:

Actually I'm trying to reduce the number of drivers I have on my shelves. Thanks for the challenge/offer ;)

• @PWRRYD said:

@Nicholas_23 said:

@PWRRYD said:

Actually I'm trying to reduce the number of drivers I have on my shelves. Thanks for the challenge/offer ;)

Otay , if you are looking for something in the future ,hit me up, I might have it.

• edited December 2020

Call me crazy but I'm starting yet another project before this year is over. I had yesterday and today off and don't go back to work until Jan. 4th. With covid we aren't traveling anywhere or hosting any family here.

This project is more of an experiment using only stuff I have on hand. WMMMTMMM with only the woofers in boxes (MCM 55-5670 in ported bass bins). The MMMTMMM are dipols on as narrow baffles as possible using some 1/2" thick poplar I had left over from another project. Mids are 12 Peerless TC9FD's and the tweeters are Beston RT002A-dipoles. Mids and tweets will be front/surface mounted (not for maximum performance, just for quick and easy).

My 3" hole saw in the drill press made quick work of the 12 mid through holes. My saber saw will knock out the rectangular through holes for the tweeters. The weather is supposed to be better tomorrow so I can relieve the backside of the baffles for the mids with my router and 45 deg bit.

Pics to follow.

jr@macjhollander6thplanetBilletsquamishdrocGowakennyk
  • This should be interesting.

• Craig....the man...the myth...the speaker building machine! Power riding his table saw of fury into the sonic sound barrier of legendary greatness!! MDF and Poplar be damned as they are pushed to their limits to construct a final epic creation of dipole fantastication!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Que thunder and lightning) .......aaaaaannnd cut.

Silver1omosquamishdrocGowaPWRRYDkennyk
  • I've spent less than 3 hours on these so far:

Baffle width is only 4.125"

I'm sure I'll spend more than 3 hours marking, drilling, and mounting all the drivers. Not to mention wiring everything up. With Covid and winter.... I have plenty of time to take endless measurements and spend time voicing these.

Gowa
  • That's a cool idea and it looks good so far! Bet they'll sound great.

How are you going to mount the TC9s? I just built a little 2.1 desktop system as a last minute gift for my wife. I ended up using short machine screws to mount the TC9s. I just drilled a small hole and let the screws tap their own threads into the oak baffles.

• edited December 2020

I plan on doing the same. This particular piece of poplar is very light and soft, so I'll need to be extra careful and not overtighten the screws.

• Before you insert the screw, can you put a drop of glue in the pilot hole then insert the screw? Will that help to reinforce the threads?

• Good idea. I'll try that on a test piece.

• If they are going to be dipole, I don't see any reason you can't run machine screws all the way through and use a nut on the backside.

I have a signature.
  • My daughter says these look mean! LOL

squamishdrocJasonPSilver1omo6thplanetR-Carpenter
  • Now I need to go to Menard's and pick up a spool of 18 or 20 gauge speaker wire. All I have here is 14 and 12 gauge. Way too large for this task. So much for only using what I have on hand LOL!

• Awesome! Looks familiar, my surround speakers are currently thin on-walls sporting 4x TC9 and one DX20 in the middle. I'm liking them, even if I can to cross the surrounds at 120hz.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."