Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

P-Core Inductor, DOH! Is it toast?

I suppose this has happened to most everyone at least once, then you quit using p-cores. For me, the assembled xo slipped off a footstool to the concrete floor. I assume it's usefulness is through? Any insight other than running back to PE?

Comments

• Yes, as-is it is not usable as intended. Inductance will change. You can probably epoxy it up snd restore it close to original, though. 
    MzissersonTurn2
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    Yes, as-is it is not usable as intended. Inductance will change. You can probably epoxy it up snd restore it close to original, though. 
    If you promise not to tell, I have done this. Did thw trick and the value was hardly changed if you use a shper glue that is thin and get the fit exact again. 
    jr@macTurn2
  • I dropped a 3.3 mH P-core and it broke almost exactly the same as yours, maybe just slightly less broke off.  I measured it as it was and the value was dead nuts the same as its brother that I didnt break.  I used it without trying to repair.  Both speakers' final measurements were identical and their distortion plots were the same.
    Turn2JasonPNicholas_234thtry
  • I've had a few came from PE broken. PE replaced them 2 or 3 times, alas only to be received in the same busted up shape. I've glued them up.
  • It's fine. Get some metal epoxy from Home Depot and glue it back. The inductance value and DCR will remain unchanged if you compared it to your other inductor. I speak from experience.
    Turn24thtry
  • Glued it back about 48 hours ago. Pulled out the multimeter and here's what I found:

Spec. = 2.70 mH
    Damaged and repaired coil = 2.76mH
    Undamaged coil = 2.68mH

Still within 2-3% of each other and spec. I DO wish I had a "before drop" measurement, but I don't.
  • Turn2 said:
    Glued it back about 48 hours ago. Pulled out the multimeter and here's what I found:

Spec. = 2.70 mH
    Damaged and repaired coil = 2.76mH
    Undamaged coil = 2.68mH

Still within 2-3% of each other and spec. I DO wish I had a "before drop" measurement, but I don't.
    Just drop the other one. :D
    Turn2jr@macPWRRYDJasonPkennykS7910ThumperTom4thtry