Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

OT: Win XP printer problems

2»

Comments

• Glad you got that sorted out. Printers can be such a pain.

4thtry
  • Also...

4thtry
  • I hated the old HP printer I had. The Canon we use for the Win7 laptop is really nice and pretty much bug free.
    USB-connected here as well.

• Wolf - we had the same, but opposite experience this year. We had a wireless Canon (admittedly an older low end model) that was always "off line" and finally developed other print quality problems. Bought a new HP Envy series this Spring and that thing has been great. Not that we print much at all, but it's always ready and it's easily 5x faster than the old Canon. I would probably chalk some of it up to newer tech.

• The new eco-tank Epson goes into hibernation mode after about 5 minutes of inactivity. But it wakes up right away when I send it a document via direct usb.

I put the new printer into the new fangled "WiFI direct" mode and then tried to print from my android phone. But that did not work. The printer becomes a hot spot and broadcasts a WiFi signal properly and I can see the printer name listed as a WiFi connection on my phone, but when I attempt to log in with the correct user name and password, I get an error message indicating that I need to go to the Google play store and install additional software. Not sure I want to do that.

• You probably need an Epson app on your phone. I have Epson iPrint and Print Enabler on my phone.

Ron

• Printed a couple 8.5 x 11 test sheets for my first draft of the IowaDIY tent cards. I will be printing 4 tent cards per sheet using Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Matte paper (10.3 mil thickness). I am still in the early design stages, so please give me some feedback on typos, layout changes, colors, drivers, etc. Here is a list of the revisions that I will be making before I do a 2nd test print:

1) Move the Speaker Name entry box to the left by 1/4" and make the box 1/8" wider.
    2) Decrease font size of "IowaDIY - October 15-16 2021 - Ankeny, IA" and re-center it.
    3) Decrease opacity slightly of the blue background color below the picture.
    4) Clean up the driver holes for both speakers so that all 10 holes are clearly visible.

I'm printing from a high resolution photoshop file. The attached jpeg was downrez'd quite a bit so that I could attach it here, but you can still see most of the detail fairly well. The printed cards are coming out extremely sharp, and look almost as good as what a high end photo printer could do. Bill

jhollanderSilver1omoTurn2
  • @Ron_E said:
    You probably need an Epson app on your phone. I have Epson iPrint and Print Enabler on my phone.

Ron

Thanks for the info, Ron. I got my phone to print wireless to the Epson. Before I sent the document to the printer, I got a warning message pop up that said my document may pass through several servers on its way to the printer. Not sure what that means. It printed really fast with no delays. There is also an option to print directly via usb cable using the iprint app.

• Some of these printer apps can print from anywhere. You don't have to worry with your setup.

Ron

• Jealous...