Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Twin subs

2»

Comments

• Looking good! I think your success with these drivers has jacked the price up. They are now up to $60, but still out of stock.

• Well, the good news is with the 10% off everything sale, they are currently priced where they were a week ago before the sale...

Don't get me wrong, they are a great driver but something doesn't sit right with the price creep the last few months on them - availability issues notwithstanding.

I have a signature.
  • edited November 2021

Its all about rising costs; labor and shipping. Sea shipping costs have more than doubled- its hitting all merchandise.
    Let’s Go Brandon

Turn2
  • @tajanes said:
    Its all about rising costs; labor and shipping. Sea shipping costs have more than doubled- its hitting all merchandise.
    Let’s Go Brandon

While I agree. It does seem if Pe offers a bargain basement component, and that component becomes used in a popular build, the price always goes up.

rjj45
  • @tajanes said:

Let’s Go Brandon

I am going to go ahead and issue a friendly warning. We can bitch about PE pricing, but we will not be entering a political debate of any kind.

rjj45PWRRYDBrannigansLaw
    I have a signature.
  • I’ll stick to F1, and root for Fernando / Alpine

6thplanet
  • Anyone but Hamilton

6thplanet
  • Honestly I'm a Ferrari guy, only because of their heritage and road cars.....I mean Ferrari, right!

On that note if there was a Porsche team, I'd be their fan boy. No matter how bad they lose or win. Was so disappointed to see them leave IMSA.

• @6thplanet said:
    Was so disappointed to see them leave IMSA.

Me too.

• Porsche would be a great addition !
    It’s tough now with a combo of massive costs in view of car co’s wanting to transition to electric and promote the new cars

• There's a 500 million dollar difference between F1 and IMSA

• So true.
    So cool back when the Penske Porsche P2 cars were beating up on the P1 cars. Love me some LeMans racing at mid Ohio.

tajanes
  • So we've had some time with these, and I gotta say... Pretty good. Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Probably worth building the cabs closer to 3 cubes. They will take it. I'm butthurt about the 50% price increase, but they are still a pretty solid value.

One to each side of the love seat. Ran the Audyssee 32 whatever the hell it is, not even sure how to spell it, and they dialed in pretty good.

Up next, building my super duper high end LR speaks, and replacing these subs with some much more better things using those buyout Scan/Aerial/Peerless 10" jobbers.

Unless I move, then no idea what do.

squamishdroc6thplanetrjj45
    I have a signature.
  • Apparently tonight we are going to music it up at our bar, though.

PWRRYDjhollandersquamishdrockenrhodesSilver1omo
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    I dunno, I've been buying drivers for 30 years, and I keep seeing claims that manufacturers routinely claim more than overhang as "xmax".

Not sure I've actually ever seen an example of that short of publishing Klippel data (said data much newer than my experience in this hobby) until PE dropped this. Keep in mind, their new RS ultra high long throw super thumper subs also claim 1/3 top plate xmax, as well.

Sorry to derail further, just wanted to mention that I noticed the new SB Rosso "pro" midrange driver. Check Note #3:
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/sb-audience-pro-sound/sb-audience-rosso-6mw150d-6-paper-cone-pro-midbass-8-ohm/

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited December 2021

Tymphany is following suit as well. Here's an example for HDS 830990:
    https://products.peerless-audio.com/pdf/332

Note 5...Unfortunate as Tymphany/Peerless used to specify Xmax as strictly (coil length - gap length) / 2. Xmax has increased from 5.3mm to 7.34mm as a result of simply changing their definition of Xmax to a more marketable calculation. (old 2017 datasheet vs new)

rjj45
  • I guess it's going to end up similar to the megapixel race on digital cameras.

I have a signature.
  • Just another vague spec that needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I put it in the same category as Le, the single value on it's own doesn't tell you enough.

• Exactly.

I have a signature.
  • Johnny, those came out nice.
    Just a quick mention on the finish... when I put my hardwood floor in my dining room, I made more than a few boo-boo's. I borrowed my father's cleat nailer... non-pneumatic - never heard of that until he showed me... you have to hit that thing like you're trying to kill it to get the nails all the way in, literally.

Needless to say, I'm not a good 'hammerer' and there were a bunch of gouges in the floor as a result. (the walls too, but that's another story) They have this stuff that you can just push in the gouges and nail holes that is kind of like wood putty, but not really. I think it's made special for flooring, but it might be able to be used for other stuff like the ones on your sub enclosure. I've been curious if it would work for that. It feels like silly putty, but stays put pretty much.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you didn't touch them up another way.

They really came out nice, and I love the veneer choice, that's beautiful stuff.

TomZ

• Tom, I've used that colored wood putty to fill nail holes when installing new woodwork and quarter rounds. They make about ten different colors which is nice. But it never fully hardens and you can't apply a finish over it. So it goes on after the trim has been stained and varnished. Luckily nail holes are so small and the base of the wall is all the way down by your feet so even a sharp eye can't see the dull putty if the color match is good.

• I'll do something, eventually. For the most part, they are hidden away.

PWRRYD4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Tom, I've used that colored wood putty to fill nail holes when installing new woodwork and quarter rounds. They make about ten different colors which is nice. But it never fully hardens and you can't apply a finish over it. So it goes on after the trim has been stained and varnished. Luckily nail holes are so small and the base of the wall is all the way down by your feet so even a sharp eye can't see the dull putty if the color match is good.

Yes, that's the stuff. I can't even find my mis-fires down there for the life of me. I found the brand I used, it was by Varathane. My leftovers hardened in the can, but it's never rock-hard so yeah, it always stays a touch pliable, which is a good thing I guess for a floor.

Tom

• So after a few weeks of beating these up with shit like Jurassic Park and Star Wars and Shaun of the Dead (try it sometime, its pretty awesome) I am convinced these are absolutely great LFE drivers.

I am now considering buying another pair and building a large pair of coffins just to blow the roof off the Ankeny Best Western.

ScottSTurn2
    I have a signature.
  • The Ankeny Best Western has been through a lot, from the great sausage fire to the power outage. A pair of JR monkey coffins blaring out Barbie Girl would fit right in.

PWRRYDjr@mac
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • @ScottS said:
    The Ankeny Best Western has been through a lot, from the great sausage fire to the power outage. A pair of JR monkey coffins blaring out Barbie Girl would fit right in.

It's been a rough year for Ankeny over all. I can't think of a better remedy.

• I just need to identify a midrange and tweeter. I'll check my stash. Maybe the 4" Dayton coax would make a sweet 3-way.

I have a signature.