Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Time Keepers

2»

Comments

• The residue is actually 2k primer that I just brushed on and still need to sand.

• As I have said in the past, I'm not a great woodworker, but I am pretty good at fixing my mistakes, so I thought that I would show you guy's my latest flub and how I sort of concealed it. It's still not perfect, but a hell of a lot less noticeable. I completely screwed the seam on the top of the sub cabinet, no excuses, complete operator error, I just blew it.
    I used fine strips of veneer and carefully fitted and glued them in the seam, and using a card scraper and sander brought the patch flush with the surface. It took several days, doing a small section at a time.

Here's the final result with a bit of shellac so that it shows the mismatch a bit better. It's not perfect, but definitely improved.

4thtrykenrhodesdcibeljhollanderPWRRYDSilver1omo6thplanetTurn2
  • Nice fix. Looks really good. I have a couple areas just like this on my Retro Speako's, so I'll have to this a try. Thanks for sharing.

• This brings back fond memories of my veneering failure. One think I learned is when filling any small voids with glue (or epoxy) and sawdust, that sawdust of the same species will become dark, so use as light of wood species for the dust mix as you can.

4thtry
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Great work Nick!

• Looks great! Nobody would be the wiser unless you told them.

• I forgot to mention, when filling in with the small strips, you want the ends that join to be tapered and not squared off, because that square edge will be noticeable

4thtry
  • Bravo ol chap, good save!

• Now I see what you did there. Nicely done!

• @dcibel said:
    This brings back fond memories of my veneering failure. One think I learned is when filling any small voids with glue (or epoxy) and sawdust, that sawdust of the same species will become dark, so use as light of wood species for the dust mix as you can.

I have filled fine imperfections with sawdust and then wet it with shellac. It usually comes out light this way.

dcibel6thplanet