Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Driver TS Inconsistency

so I bought a pair to Tang Band W3 1797s. But there is a significant discrepancy between the two drivers and the published TS parameters. This is from DATS except for the VAS, which i couldn't calculate due to the grill. The published TS are also attached. Should I send them back, both of them one of them? I am planning to use them full range.

Mzisserson

Comments

• Did you break them in? 

Did you have them flat when tested, or verticle? 

Though it seems to far off for those things to fix. 

Im uprised, usually TB hasnt been too bad. 
  • Flat on the carpet.... usually most drivers are pretty close together... not this far off
  • I would recommend you reach out to one of the PE employees and ask them to run a sweep on a third sample - make them do as much of the legwork as possible to determine if you have an outlier, or if the QC on this line is shit. 

I have a pair of those big W5 drivers - nowhere near advertised and different enough from each other to be annoying. 

All of these manufacturers should take note of what Dayton Audio is doing, at least from a QC standpoint. Like their products or not, it is a safe bet you are getting what you expect to get from them.
    I have a signature.
  • ani_101 said:
    Flat on the carpet.... usually most drivers are pretty close together... not this far off
    JR said it best about contacting PE. That sucks. 
  • that didn't go too well. Looks like an FS of 164 vs 90 published is not a manufacturing defect - they will exchange it, but it will be two random units off the shelf after I send it back and it is assessed for re-stocking fee etc and return shipping is on me. they don't measure units and variation in TS is a given.

so, are these usable at all? Definitely not as full range (whatever little hope of bass was there is gone), but what about a regular midrange, crossed higher say 300 or so?

I am going to let them play low music over the weekend and measure once more before returning them.
  • Huh. Feel free to post an honest review on them, then.

It should be fine for midrange use - provided there is not a significant difference in sensitivity. 

Over the years, I have seen a lot of people point out that modeled F3 is similar despite varying T/S parameters, but Hoffman demands a sacrifice if that is true - and that sacrifice would be sensitivity. It can be very much an issue in the midrange and will affect imaging dramatically if they are more than, say, 1/2db apart across several octaves. 

These are pretty expensive little drivers - I think you can do better, Ani. You can try breaking them in further - sometimes that helps. 
    I have a signature.
  • They are breaking in currently.... How do i measure sensitivity - due to the grill, I can't measure the VAS using the mass added method. Should I try taking FR measurements and over lay them and see how close they are? I can again put them flat on the carpet and take FR from the same height.
  • Yep, that would work just fine for purposes of determining sensitivity relative to one another. A cardboard baffle is another option. 
    I have a signature.
  • I'm really surprised PE wouldn't take them back as defective with no charge to you.
  • "variation is a given" is cute when you are nearly double advertised, by the way. Not cool. I could see a case for 10% variation, possibly 20% - but nearly double? No way. 

I would suggest if further break-in does not reduce parameters to within 10-20% of advertised and unit-to-unit, and PE does not take them back as being essentially the wrong drivers, then posting your findings in a more public forum or trying to sell them is your best bet. 

For the money they are charging for these, I would expect nothing less than spot-on. If $30 and $40 MCM and Dayton drivers can come in almost perfectly on-spec, there is no reason to accept this level of shit QC from a driver that costs $25 an inch. 
    Mzisserson
    I have a signature.
  • I would add that I am willing to accept way out there specs on a $5 or $10 driver. 
    I have a signature.
  • around 70 hrs of breaking and this is the result. The FS seems to have been reduced from 164 to 157.... still pretty bad and downright hopeless at this point. I am send them them back and take a chance on the next ones they send out (by randomly grabbing two from the warehouse)

Mzisserson
  • Thats a real bummer, sorry you have to deal with it.

I love PE, but it seems they are becoming judge, jury, and executioner when it comes to their customers and a lot of what they sell is losing its reputation for quality. 

It should not he assumed that anything out if China is junk, and the responsibilty for the quality is less on the devloping contry and more the greed that companies are willing to sacrifice their own reputation and blind customers with low prices that are because their products are junk. As long as it keeps getting bought, it will be made. 

What is the real cost? I recieve anything frim PE that required electricity and I test it thouroughly before proceeding. What is my time worth? Well, I would pay at least $0.33 on the dollar most times if I could rely on what graces my doorstep. 

Who knows, maybe I am just being a curmudgeon. 
  • Ani, send copies of your measurements to PE and emphasize using DATS.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Good luck Ani. If it isn't obvious, I have a love -hate relationship with PE. On one hand,  they have stellar customer service in some areas. Then I remember how they screwed over owners of the original WT3 and I cool off a bit. 
    I have a signature.
  • New Chapter.

so since I need to send these back and get two unknown drivers, which may or may not have similar haorrible specs.... I decided to throw more good money after the bad (in fact a bit more than what I paid for these drivers, as I has used the holiday coupon on these).

So long story short, I ordered for two more TB W3 1797S, and now have 4 of these drivers. I am going to send two of these back and retain the two which have closer specs. 

The initial two drivers have around 70 hrs of break in. The two new ones have only around 16 hrs of break in. This is how they stack up. Which ones stay??? 

Memory#    Serial #    FS         QTS      RE      LE        QES      QMS
    1                182         164.19    0.473    4.03    0.065    0.767    1.265
    2                482         114.4      0.579    4.03    0.066    0.741    2.638
    3                164         155.44    0.481    3.85    0.063    0.674    2.307
    4                369         115.74    0.523    3.85    0.063    0.674    2.307

All4.PNG 218.6K
    Mzisserson
  • Looking at the data and the serial numbers, it definitely looks like a batch manufacturing issue with the later serial number being closer to each other. 
  • Screwy results. Maybe have a another person, using different measuring gear, remeasure the speakers. A second opinion is always useful.
  • Hmmm... not sure who is nearby.... 
  • FR measurements: speaker on carper surrounded by stuffed toy rings

First the two later serial numbers (369 and 482) these have the FS at 115 and 114. Seems like they are a close match:

Next the earlier two serial numbers 182 and 164 with FS of 164 and 155: These two also seems to be a close match to each other

The problem is, I got 182 and 482 together and then 164 and 369 together, so both batches of drivers were horribly mis-matched. See below. This is for 482 and 182. I think there is a 0.5 to 1 db difference and the difference in the TS parameters. 
    So based on this I am inclined to go with the 482 and 369. What do you think???

• Now the next queston. For giggles,I thought of looking at the distortion.... I have never looked at distortion from Holm Response, so really do not know what to expect. But here goes:

This is 482 (blue), 164(red) and 182(Green) 2HD followed by 3HD

This is 369(blue), 164(red) and 182(green) 2HD followed by 3HD.

This is the distortion of 369 and 482 together, 2HD followed by 3HD.

I have the Holm Impulse measurements saved, so if you want to see something else, please let me know. Please let me know if you want me to measure anything else and how. these were measured face up on the carpet surrounded by stuffed toy ring with the microphone about 8 inched up at a pretty high level for these small divers.
  • 369 and 482 have higher 2nd HD after 3k, but should be fine if used within a normal mid range.
  • Um....I'll just throw this out here.  MAC has been on TB's mailing list for awhile.  Should I reach out and mention this to them direct?  Can't promise anything, but since we're talking about a $70 driver, there's no way in hell there should be this sort of TS disparity. 
    My signature goes here
  • kennyk said:
    Screwy results. Maybe have a another person, using different measuring gear, remeasure the speakers. A second opinion is always useful.
    It's all relative right?  Even if Ani's gear was miscalibrated, the disparity would still show up.

My signature goes here
  • I was hoping it was a measurement problem and not the speaker.
  • kennyk said:
    I was hoping it was a measurement problem and not the speaker.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong on this, but he measured all the drivers with the same gear, right?  
    My signature goes here
  • yes, all on same measurement gear, same measurement condition. the mic was not moved and all the drivers were in the same position. I am getting pretty good co-relation between the closer serial numbers, but not across. The mic is a cross spectrum calibrated mic.

Also, the specs did not change drastically after long period of break in.

I will try with ARTA today / tomorrow, in case I get better reading with it, though I have not tried ARTA before this. 
  • edited December 2016
    Essentially you have two different drivers wearing the same make-up. This is an expensive driver to exhibit such variation in production runs. 

Keep the ones without the shitty distortion centered at 800Hz, return the other two with measurements printed off and placed inside the boxes, and try and sell he two you keep. 

There are way better options within this price range and size/form factor to consider.
    I have a signature.
  • So PE customer service basically said "too bad so sad"?  I'd start a thread on PETT highlighting how far off spec the drivers are.  
  • kennyk said:
    I was hoping it was a measurement problem and not the speaker.
    There is a bit of cash invested and I was hoping it was something simple in measuring. I'm just optimistic.