Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Insomnia has its advantages...

2»

Comments

• edited August 2022

Great write up JR. I wish I had your writing talent.

• With that nice sensitivity, there might be a few SET tube guys that would love them.

• @Tom_S said:
    With that nice sensitivity, there might be a few SET tube guys that would love them.

It isn't super sensitive. My FR measurements are done after I measure for distortion at 95db. I just gate the distortion measurement. I like to know what is going on in the on-axis at high volumes. So, probably a bit more than 1W represented. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say it is probably around the 81-82db range and that is only because I didn't do a full baffle step. It is kind of why I recommend a high current Class AB or a cheap high output Class D for them. They will be power hungry, but that is the price of hitting below 50Hz in a sealed design in only 1.2 cubic feet.

I have a signature.
  • I'll build stands for them tomorrow. I'm going to run them as my mains in the basement for awhile.

I have a signature.
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Great write up JR. I wish I had your writing talent.

I've always had a knack for it - I give credit to the thousands of books I have read.

I have a signature.
  • edited August 2022

Updated and expanded writeup attached.

I have a signature.
  • FYI, the unofficial name for these speakers is "Insomniacs".

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.

• ugly_wooferhifisiderjj45
    I have a signature.
  • Got a listen yesterday , they sound mwaaaa . Very nice build , as usual everything sounded balanced and well executed. If I had the room Id build a set.

hifisideSteve_Leejr@mac
  • JR, did you model this as a ported floor stander?

• It ports pretty poorly. I know Rory did so with his Iguanas but he must have used some magic or a very low crossover point.

I have a signature.
  • JR, did you ever get any glamor shots of these completed on the stands? This does look like a fun build. I hope to hear them someday.

• @kenrhodes said:
    JR, did you ever get any glamor shots of these completed on the stands? This does look like a fun build. I hope to hear them someday.

I totally forgot to do so lol. I get some time I'll pull them out and do so.

I have a signature.
  • No worries. I bet I have 80% of what's needed in my stash of unused drivers. I should just stop being lazy and build them.

• @kenrhodes said:
    No worries. I bet I have 80% of what's needed in my stash of unused drivers. I should just stop being lazy and build them.

Pretty straightforward build with a simple xo.

I have a signature.
  • I found I had near half the parts already so I ordered the rest a while ago. Gotta start finding homes for builds though before doing more. If only I could break this habit of building big.

jr@macSteve_Lee
  • @DrewsBrews said:
    I found I had near half the parts already so I ordered the rest a while ago. Gotta start finding homes for builds though before doing more. If only I could break this habit of building big.

Big or small, I can't seem to stop building as well.

I have a signature.
  • Small just has different challenges.

• A friend of my wife expressed some interest in me building something for them. I don't trust my own skills enough to design something for a non family member. But I have the parts for this.

They seemed open to towers if they aren't huge. Was thinking of narrowing the baffle an inch or so, but keeping the M/T the same distance from the closer side. I wouldn't think that would effect baffle step enough to add more than a small midbass dip all else being the same? Woofer Qts seems would make for little change in the bass alignment with a not huge increase of internal volume.

Gotta wait for the 8"ers to come back in stock. One ended up being a dud measured 10ohm :o

jr@macSteve_Lee
  • Yeah, an inch wont matter much. You could probably get away with 1.75 cubic feet and it would be pretty good.

I have a signature.
  • edited July 2023

Cool, only other thing I can think of would be: Any idea how much recessing the woofer ~1/8" would mess up the alignment? These will probably operate most of the time with grills. Not wanting to screw up the sound too much I thought of trying thin 1/8" tempered hardboard stuff. But the woofer gasket and surround would probably be thicker than the grill in that case.

• That won't dick with things too much, either.

I have a signature.