Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sanity check - connecting two DVC subwoofers to one mono amp

I have not worked with DVC subs before, so I'm looking for verification that I'm not going to awaken the gods of smoke. I have 2 DVC subs (4 ohms for each coil) I'd like to drive with one 4-ohm capable amp. If I wire each sub as pictured below, then connect both to one set of binding posts to connect to the amp, will I be delivering a 4 ohm load to the amp?

Or, is there a better (or at least right) way?

Or, should I be seeking a 2-ohm capable amp?

Each driver:

Total config.:

Comments

• Also you should be using the RE not just the nominal rating.
    A multimeter is your friend. Dats is even better.

• Your wiring is correct, but you could also run the coils of each driver in parallel and then wire the two drivers in series. Both are 4ohm loads.

Turn2
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    Your wiring is correct, but you could also run the coils of each driver in parallel and then wire the two drivers in series. Both are 4ohm loads.

Thank you. Would there be any performance difference between those two configurations, or difference in taxing the amp?

• No same load either way.

• I would run them as you have shown. If you have a connector vibrate loose or a coil open up on one driver, then your amp is only seeing an 8 ohm load, not 2 ohms.

Turn2Steve_LeeBryan@MAC
  • I am not sure this possibility holds water, Tom. Given that you are running the 4 ohm coils in series and drivers in parallel; if you lose a connection on one, the signal just goes to the other driver at 8 ohms. I understand that, and it's sound advice.
    Given that the 4 ohm coils are in parallel and drivers in series;
    If you lose a connection on one coil, this means you have 4 ohms in series with 2 ohms, or 6 ohms.
    If you fry a coil, and it becomes open circuit, same result at 6 ohms.
    If you fry both coils on one driver, you get nothing, as nothing will pass to driver #2. No sound, no load.
    If you fry one coil on each driver, you get 8 ohms.

The only way you can get 2 ohms is if a driver shorts out when it goes, and IME, this is not usually the case.

Steve_Lee
  • Ahhh - you are correct. My brain hasn't had enough sleep this week!

Steve_Lee