Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Micro-Waves

2»

Comments

• Measured impedance of the Viawave RT850

Not sure where the chat about resonance at 1500 comes from.

I have a signature.
  • edited March 2023

It came from their literature - specifically the "Rear Chamber Resonance" value of 1.5KHz - which they seem to have damped quite well using "shaped wool wedges" in the chamber cup - so, it is a non-issue.

My apologies for bringing it up at all.

Your sweep of the RT850 looks VERY good - I need to do a Z sweep of these ESS AMT-1's for comparison . . .

• @charlielaub said:
    Oh snap. That bamboo can really be a PITA. Home Depot is selling some inexpensive 2x4 foot sheets of Hevea (rubberwood) butcherblock. Currently these cost only $79 each:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-4-ft-L-x-25-in-D-Unfinished-Hevea-Solid-Wood-Butcher-Block-Countertop-With-Square-Edge-THD-HBU-0001/319764603

On reflection, ordered Qty 2 on these. Way cheaper than any similar hardwood, and shipping to my store is free.
    $80 for 8 board feet of 1.5 inch nice butcher block hardwood? Score!

Steve_Lee
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited March 2023

The actual dimensions of this ^ material are 50" x 25" x 1.5". (according to the specs in the link) for $79.00 + tax DELIVERED to my home.

This is a righteous deal - the same material/product is $108.00 at Lowes (at the store/pickup - Excluding taxes)!!

I'd burn a bunch of gas in the Dodge 2500 truck just going to pick it up and about 4 hours of travel/lunch doing it so I think I am going to get on board this train and buy a couple of sheets.

Thanks for the link/find, Charlie!

OK - 2 sheets inbound to my door for $170.00 delivered including tax.

B)

• edited March 2023

Just beware it is likely much less stable than ply or MDF. It will swell and contract since it is actual wood that has the grain running the same direction all the way through. If you keep the baffle narrow (say 8" or less) with the grain running vertically then glue may hold up. But going much wider than that and the movement will probably split glue joints. Detachable baffle should work though as that will tend to have larger tolerances.. Leave a gap if it is being inset and drill the through-holes for bolts/screws a little larger than the threads

Steve_LeePWRRYD
  • Just ordered 1 myself. Should be here today!

Steve_Lee
  • The 6' version is a slightly better value, but doesn't come with free shipping to your home.

Steve_Lee
  • I think the Home Depot rubber tree sheets are pretty much the same thing I used on my 80/20 equipment rack. If you are thinking about staining it, use a diy sizing coat first. The different pieces and grains soak up the stain at different rates, leaving a blotchy mess in spots. I learned that the hard way.

The recipe I used is at about 6:15 in this video -

Steve_Leetajanes
  • The Wood Whisperer! My favorite woodworking YouTube channel!

• edited November 2023

Progress!

jr@macSilver1omoJasonPhifisideNicholas_236thplanet4thtry
  • That looks fabulous and once broken-in will sound very airy.

• edited November 2023

A few more tweaks. I'll need to do more extended listening.

I needed to invert the tweeter polarity (opposite of Xsim) to get rid of the null below:

• Swapped the ribbon shunt resistor with a 6 ohm and assembled the second crossover. Still need to install the ports, but sounds great so far.

Silver1omohifisideSteve_Leetajanesrjj45ugly_woofer4thtryTurn26thplanet
  • Make it so! ;)

I bet they sound great.

Steve_Lee
  • edited December 2023

Ya know, I didn't like the CAD mockup, but they're downright nifty looking.

So...bringing it back to the point @charlielaub raised, in both of your XO revisions there's that rise in response @ 1.6khz. Is that perhaps the worst of the diffraction?

It'd be interesting to see a 0/30 degree off-axis measurement.

Edit: Nevermind. That's in the woofer.

• edited December 2023

I need to do more cabinet work (seal MDF, add port and dampening) and as you can see there is no chamfer or round over like in the CAD. I was planning on doing a chamfer, but the potential for voids has me second guessing. Any suggestions?
    Dirk, I can't remember the origin of the .frd I used for the sim, so I should take some measurements with the final baffle and see if that 1.6kHz peak is there.

Dirk