Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

TT refinishing

I got bored waiting for the stain to dry for my rack project, so I decided it was about time I refinish this Pioneer PL-550. It's only been sitting on the shelf for about two decades now! Most all of the brittle vinyl simulated wood had flaked off years ago, leaving this thick backing material.

Not wanting to do too much damage to the chip-board base, it took a few hours to slowly peel it all off. I don't know what they used for glue, but it took a lot of heat and pulling to get all that plastic junk off!

The veneer actually showed up early, so I got the front, back and sides on last night.

Got the top piece glued on before dinner and just finished the trimming.

jr@macSteve_LeehifisideKornbread6thplanetugly_wooferjhollanderPWRRYDTurn2tajanesand 4 others.

Comments

• Much better!

• It plays great! Just a few little details left to address. The fuse for the strobe circuit was blown, so I need to figure out why. I'm not sure I want to fork out $100+ for a proper dustcover and the going rate for genuine (used) Pioneer hinges and feet is insane.

6thplanetRon_ESteve_Leehifisiderjj45jhollanderugly_wooferTurn2tajanesBryan@MAC
  • @Tom_S said:
    It plays great! Just a few little details left to address. The fuse for the strobe circuit was blown, so I need to figure out why. I'm not sure I want to fork out $100+ for a proper dustcover and the going rate for genuine (used) Pioneer hinges and feet is insane.

I would think you could recover the cost for the dust cover.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited December 2022

That's a good thought, but this one is not to sell. It'll be part of my collection (hoard?) of vintage gear and it's the only Pioneer turntable I have at this point. But I suppose I could sell one of the other brands that I don't collect...

• That looks fantastic Tom!

I seem to remember seeing a Pioneer dust cover on my local craigslist recently. I'll take a look and see if I can find it for you.

• Thanks! If it's still available, that would be an amazing stroke of luck!