Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

DrewsBrews InDIYana Theme Build

13»

Comments

• When I first started I found that PCD was a good learning tool. I had to learn about min phase, offsets etc. but the built in slope targets, text book value calculator, L-pad calculator, and notch calculator were a big help.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited April 2023

I've been using PCD for years and more recently WinPCD. Initially I didn't worry a whole bunch about off-axis. More recently, the projects when I did measure off axis it didn't seem too bad so I just ran with it. This time off-axis is kinda crap and anything I try isn't helping. Guess it could be the directivity of the drivers. Wonder if the whizzer is playing into that. Probably why they end up chopped off alot of times if the upper registers aren't being used.

Guess I'll get some more measurements. Might have to potentially sacrifice one to see if removing the whizzer helps.. If I have time. Gotta get this buttoned up.

• Different drivers and big difference in size, so it may not be comparable at all, but...I used the Dynavox LY401F 4" full range in a 3 way. I had a ragged response above 3k-ish so cut the whizzer off. I did NOT measure the raw driver without xo, but with a 2.5k xo in place it made virtually no different. I'm talking maybe 0.10 db.

Steve_Lee
  • edited April 2023

I didn't mention it earlier, but I did try offsetting the mic vertically to see if it was any funky lobing going on due to the ~2.6" difference in acoustic centers... Dropping it down to center on the woofer, tried a few backwards tilt angles. Nothing to really note of the outcome. Just started to see the typical vertical off-axis suckout forming.

I feel like I've heard of this before, but don't recall if I really understood what the cause is. In testing it seems I can lower the db at crossover, creating an on-axis dip while flattening off-axis more. That probably the best I can do?

• edited April 2023

It seems to me like you are doing way too much measuring and not enough listening. How do you like the sound with music?

DrewsBrewsSteve_Lee
  • edited April 2023

ugh crappy day. Pretty sure I fried one of the tweets. Seemed ok for a while then the distortion went through the roof (audibly). I probably wired it up wrong one too many times.

I have spares but they seem to be from a different batch (FS is different) so I dunno how this is gonna go.

• edited April 2023

I feel your pain! Digikey still has some in stock. Not at the close-out price, but they have a bunch of them.

edit - Strike that! Looks like the min order is ALL 1008 of them.

http:https://digikey.com/en/products/detail/peerless-by-tymphany/DX25BG60-04/6557422//

• Madisound still has them, just $44 rather than that deep discounted $26.

• I have a bunch of beast mode tweeters if you need one all new

Steve_Lee
  • edited April 2023

The ones I was using were from Madisound. The spares from PE. I ordered another from Madisound. thanks guys

The PE ones are new too. They just had a higher FS that wasn't quite matching to each other. The Madisound ones were lower FS and matched almost identically so they were first pick. Hopefully this next one will match up with one of the 3 I have now.

• edited April 2023

Everything soldered up by late this morning. I did manage to get a switch tucked in on the cups to flip between 2-way and the fullrange with BSC and a small notch padding the upper midrange a bit.

Wasn't going to be able to fit the screw gun inside with the braces to pre-drill screw holes and couldn't find my stubby drill. So a couple dabs of construction adhesive per board shouldn't be too evil to pry off if I ever need.. I hope. But luckily I got em all buttoned up and seem to sound ok. It is pretty cool to flip between 2-way and 1-way to hear the different voicing.

Unfortunate circumstances prevent me from being there Saturday so they won't be able to be part of the theme. But will bring em tomorrow.

tajanesPWRRYD
  • See you tomorrow!