Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Well-recorded, quality popular music albums

Comments

• @Steve_Lee said:
    "You're No Good"

Linda Ronstadt or Van Halen?

How about the original, by Betty Everett, I think.

I have a few Van Halen albums and I find the drum sound rather weedy and feeble, even on the remastered issues. Compare them to say, the Stones or Faces drums which sound like drums and not biscuit tins. Or am I being unkind?

I've made 20+ playlists/CDs of covers and enjoy hearing different interpretations; I did a whole list of Heroes and Wild Horses covers! Garbage did a nice version of the latter, King Crimson a great version of Heroes.

Geoff

• Gotta agree on the drums on most VH work - not enough punch.

• While I listen to a variety of music from different eras, recording techniques evolved. It's got to sound decent or I lose interest quickly. A lot of the early to mid 70s music sounds very dated to me, especially the the drums. That's what I hone in on first. I was gigging weekends all through the 80s(Rock) & 90s(Country) and Nashville was pretty consistent, putting out some great sounding recordings. This new Country music is so manipulated. Every genre is these days. It's lost it's soul & groove. Kids only hear pitch corrected vocals, so I'm sure older music sounds strange to them.

I don't get the appeal of the current melancholy folky stuff that many 20 somethings are into. It makes me feel depressed... :#

Turn2
  • @Tom_S said:
    ...I don't get the appeal of the current melancholy folky stuff that many 20 somethings are into. It makes me feel depressed... :#

Being melancholy when you're in your 20's is hip, not so much when you're older. Of course 20-year olds don't know the word hip either.

• I listen to a wide variety of music, a lot not willingly thanks to my wife and her love for radio.
    This is a song of the commonly called greatest "Rock en Español" record, "re" by Café Tacvba:

20 songs touching several genres and styles.

Brian will be crossed if I do not put Mana, so, here you go:

Yeah, cheated a bit with the OG Santana.

I have tickets for Dallas's Opera this weekend (Das Rheingold), first time at the venue, hopefully it sounds good.

• @6thplanet said:
    Hence the vast majority of music today. If we all liked the same thing it's be a vuuury boring place.

On that note, if band X (one you like) did a cover of a band Y (one you dislike) song, is it automatically hated?

No way, I like some covers better than the originals. Leo Moracchioli, Brownout, Bonerama, bunch of others

6thplanet
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @Silver1omo said:

I have tickets for Dallas's Opera this weekend (Das Rheingold), first time at the venue, hopefully it sounds good.

That brings back memories of a basic music theory course I took in college. Wagner's Ring Cycle was about 1/3rd of the semester.

• @6thplanet said:
    On that note, if band X (one you like) did a cover of a band Y (one you dislike) song, is it automatically hated?

Nope. Sometimes the opposite. There are some classics done by a band I don't care about that should've been left alone.

6thplanet
  • @Steve_Lee said:
    "You're No Good"

Linda Ronstadt or Van Halen?

Linda for sure!

Steve_Lee
  • edited February 2023

I love covers, even if I don't love them if that makes sense. It is always fun listening to different interpretations.

It is hard not to acknowledge how Cobain owned "Where Did You Sleep Last Night".

Trent Reznor wrote "Hurt" for Johnny Cash - just didn't know it at the time. Lot of people wrote songs for JC that he covered on his "American" series.

I have a signature.
  • @Tom_S said:
    While I listen to a variety of music from different eras, recording techniques evolved. It's got to sound decent or I lose interest quickly. A lot of the early to mid 70s music sounds very dated to me, especially the the drums. That's what I hone in on first. I was gigging weekends all through the 80s(Rock) & 90s(Country) and Nashville was pretty consistent, putting out some great sounding recordings. This new Country music is so manipulated. Every genre is these days. It's lost it's soul & groove. Kids only hear pitch corrected vocals, so I'm sure older music sounds strange to them.

I don't get the appeal of the current melancholy folky stuff that many 20 somethings are into. It makes me feel depressed... :#

I absolutely love a lot of the music I call "nouveau" folk. I have always had a preference for that kind of music.

Modern pop country is pretty shitty, but there are some alternative country artists out there making more traditional dive bar ballads and outlaw style stuff. If you have Sirius check out Outlaw Country (channel 60, I think). Lot of modern country on there that is a definite throwback.

Zach Bryan is an up and comer doing some more traditional country music. Doug Paisley does, as well. He is Canadian - there are steel guitars and electric organs that he uses. Two Gallants early stuff is a great example of old school blues infused country.

There is a ton of good modern country out there, it is just the stuff that is objectively indistinguishable from modern pop that really sucks. Since the late 90's/early 00's country went on a decline lyrically when the radio play drifted from Strait and Brooks to the Kenny Chesney shit.

Just my opinion.

Oh, and I agree that country music of the 90's was largely very well done.

Turn2
    I have a signature.
  • @a4eaudio said:

@Tom_S said:
    ...I don't get the appeal of the current melancholy folky stuff that many 20 somethings are into. It makes me feel depressed... :#

Being melancholy when you're in your 20's is hip, not so much when you're older. Of course 20-year olds don't know the word hip either.

I am inherently melancholy, I think. I am pushing 50. I am also tragically hip, so I listen to that band often ;)

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • VH drums are mastered weak so Eddies guitar can dominate the sound. The opposite effect is found on Phil Collins stuff.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • I forgot Sons of Bill, lot of what they do is kind of country-ish, but also melancholy-ish.

I have a signature.
  • Sorry for shot-gunning this post lol. I've been working a lot of hours for the first three days of this week, so woke up early today and decided I am working a normal start time today and got caught up on some internet stuff.

I have a signature.
  • edited February 2023

@jr@mac said:

Modern pop country is pretty shitty, but there are some alternative country artists out there making more traditional dive bar ballads and outlaw style stuff. If you have Sirius check out Outlaw Country (channel 60, I think). Lot of modern country on there that is a definite throwback.

I can really relate to this, especially when I had more exposure to the "fringier" country flavored music. AM/FM pop country is the absolute worst, but "punktry" and some of the great, obscure country western singer songwriters are quite appealing. Also, the musicianship on some of the old classic country is pretty noteworthy.

jr@mac
  • edited February 2023

Some of the music discussed in the OP video was aided by The Wrecking Crew, a notorious collection of session musicians that included Glenn Campbell and Leon Russell. This is a great documentary if you're into music of that era.

Great session musicians and extreme perfectionism are also part of what made Steely Dan recordings so treasured. These articles name names involved over the years:

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/steely-dan-session-musicians-feature/

https://www.billboard.com/music/rock/steely-dan-walter-becker-second-guitarists-interview-7968894/

Steve_Leejr@mac6thplanet
  • There was also the Muscle Shoals Rhythm section also known as the Swampers. They were behind 75 gold and platinum records. There's a documentary "Muscle Shoals" that is a good watch.

Turn2
  • Both of those are great documentaries.
    Another reason I love what Fagen and Becker were doing, always using the right players for the right parts.

Steve_Lee
  • edited February 2023

There's also "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" about the Funk Brothers who were the session players at Motown.

Ron

• @jr@mac said:

Zach Bryan is an up and comer doing some more traditional country music. Doug Paisley does, as well. He is Canadian - there are steel guitars and electric organs that he uses. Two Gallants early stuff is a great example of old school blues infused country.

There is a ton of good modern country out there, it is just the stuff that is objectively indistinguishable from modern pop that really sucks. Since the late 90's/early 00's country went on a decline lyrically when the radio play drifted from Strait and Brooks to the Kenny Chesney shit.

Just my opinion.

Oh, and I agree that country music of the 90's was largely very well done.

It's sad that real talent rarely gets the big spotlight anymore. Yeah, there's a ton of great alt & traditional country artists out there, but the mainstream record labels and FM radio seem to keep them hidden in the shadows of that Bro-Country crap. Only a few seem to swim up to surface once in a while. I miss the days when George Straight & Clint Black were putting out hit records.

jr@macWolf
  • +1 for Clink Black and George Straight <3

tajanes
  • Dave Grohl has done several documentaries worth watching, including Sound City and Sonic Highways.

6thplanet
  • edited February 2023

Not a fan of 'traditional' C&W or the identikit blokes with black t-shirts and big hats, but we really like Lucinda Williams: her 'Live at the Fillmore' is beautifully recorded too, with a great drum sound and a real 'live' feel.

Labels in music can be arbitrary, for example how do you describe The Band's music? There's jazz, rockabilly, a bit of 'roots'/country and straight out rock'n'roll; or how do you describe the music of The Beatles, for that matter. Jimi Hendrix once said there were only two kinds of music: good and bad.

One of the best shows we've seen was the Funk Brothers at The House of Blues in Chicago in 2005, not all the original members as some like James Jamerson had passed away, but a stunning show in every respect: sound, material, quality of performance and just plain fun. It was nice to see them recognised in film after all those years in the background.

The only strange thing about the show was our being asked for proof of age before we could get a beer: I was almost 50 at the time, very flattering.

I'm not sure whether she was part of The Wrecking Crew, but bassist Carol Kaye played on many, many hits in the 60s and 70s: when Mitch Mitchell (Hendrix Experience) jammed with her, he described her as "brilliant, scared the s- - t out of me".

So many great players, so many non-talents who make most of the money....

Geoff

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • I used the term "punktry" upthread but it seems "cowpunk" and "y'all-ternative" may be used more often. The linked article drops a lot of names from over the last 45 years that occupy a space between country, punk, rockabilly, American folk and rock 'n' roll. It covers ground from George Strait, Waylon and Joe Ely through some old faves like Dave Alvin and the Blasters, Jason and the Scorchers, John Doe, and the Meat Puppets. Worth a read if this underrated and underexposed chunk of the music spectrum is more your thing than what gets the kids' attention today.

https://www.wideopencountry.com/cowpunks/

jr@mac
  • edited February 2023

I can't believe I forgot my favorite band - The Jayhawks.

I have a signature.
  • I was wondering if anything popular had been well recorded in the past 20 years, now I know. :p

Steve_Leea4eaudio
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @GeoffMillar said:
    Not a fan of 'traditional' C&W or the identikit blokes with black t-shirts and big hats, but we really like Lucinda Williams: her 'Live at the Fillmore' is beautifully recorded too, with a great drum sound and a real 'live' feel.

Labels in music can be arbitrary, for example how do you describe The Band's music? There's jazz, rockabilly, a bit of 'roots'/country and straight out rock'n'roll; or how do you describe the music of The Beatles, for that matter. Jimi Hendrix once said there were only two kinds of music: good and bad.

One of the best shows we've seen was the Funk Brothers at The House of Blues in Chicago in 2005, not all the original members as some like James Jamerson had passed away, but a stunning show in every respect: sound, material, quality of performance and just plain fun. It was nice to see them recognised in film after all those years in the background.

The only strange thing about the show was our being asked for proof of age before we could get a beer: I was almost 50 at the time, very flattering.

I'm not sure whether she was part of The Wrecking Crew, but bassist Carol Kaye played on many, many hits in the 60s and 70s: when Mitch Mitchell (Hendrix Experience) jammed with her, he described her as "brilliant, scared the s- - t out of me".

So many great players, so many non-talents who make most of the money....

Geoff

Plus 1 for Lucinda Williams. Most of her stuff is really well done and well produced. In the alt country / indie vain, James McMurtry, "Saint Mary of the Woods" is a masterpiece.

Other SQ go tos: Aaron Neville, "Warm Your Heart" David Benoit, "Waiting for Spring" Van Morrison, "Hymms to the Silence" and of course, "Brothers in Arms" come to mind immediately. As far as Steely Dan, I love 'em. Wife can't stand them. Rush - I like some of 2112 and Moving Pictures. But I'm not a prog rock guy in general.

• Honestly anything from Billie Eilish is a miles better recording than many in the OP Youtube video. Maybe a muddy old Rolling Stones record sounds best the cheap HD-280Pro headphones this guy is wearing...sorry guys.

There's a new album out from The Arcs, great recording btw.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @Turn2 said:
    I used the term "punktry" upthread but it seems "cowpunk" and "y'all-ternative" may be used more often. The linked article drops a lot of names from over the last 45 years that occupy a space between country, punk, rockabilly, American folk and rock 'n' roll. It covers ground from George Strait, Waylon and Joe Ely through some old faves like Dave Alvin and the Blasters, Jason and the Scorchers, John Doe, and the Meat Puppets. Worth a read if this underrated and underexposed chunk of the music spectrum is more your thing than what gets the kids' attention today.

https://www.wideopencountry.com/cowpunks/

Man, mentioning the Meatpuppets just took me back 30 years!

Turn2
    I have a signature.