Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Well-recorded, quality popular music albums

124»

Comments

• The list of bands I literally hate that millions love disturbs me sometimes. Kool and the Gang, for example. Michael Jackson. Led Zeppelin. Soundgarden.

I have a signature.
  • Point is, if someone took the time to preserve it for posterity... Someone liked it enough to do so.

There is no piece of music universally reviled, personal opinions notwithstanding.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • edited February 2023

@Wolf said:
    Yeah, jinjer was pushed on youtube. Thing is, she is not that great imo.

I think she has alot of competency and authority in her voice. Not super unique but not quite generic either. Enough range to get it done without sounding strained, and seems to be able to very the volume and technique well. Another big one for me is good enunciation. Something I tend to find with non-native English speakers. The music itself I also find very competently done. To me it shows a bit of humble. To apply their full talents to whatever genre they are playing. The lyrics and subject seemed to have some thought put into it; Giving some reason for the duality other than just the shock factor.

I liked it enough to pick up the cd (King of Everything).. Though I was disappointed with the mixing of it, and I really didn't connect much with any of the other songs. oah well

jr@macSteve_Lee
  • @jr@mac said:
    The list of bands I literally hate that millions love disturbs me sometimes. Kool and the Gang, for example. Michael Jackson. Led Zeppelin. Soundgarden.

Interesting takes. I never really got Led Zeppelin - outside of Stairway to Heaven.

For Kool in the Gang, one of my best friends was a huge fan. Tonight and Too Hot resonated with my teenage self, but later releases like Cherish or Celebration were garbage in my opinion.

Michael Jackson impresses me on some level. His vocal gifts were almost overwhelming, but he was personally hard for me to identify with. I think it's hard for anyone to identify with what it would be like to be like to be Michael Jackson, particularly after Thriller blew up the way it did.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Kool and the Gang, Michael Jackson, Donna Summer, MC Hammer, Whitney, Madonna = drinking and dancing at wedding music. I like it all under the right circumstances. ;)

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Thriller is a very good sounding album in vinyl.

• edited February 2023

@ugly_woofer said:
    Thriller is a very good sounding album in vinyl.

My neighbor got a Sony turntable from his wife for Christmas in 2021. Last summer I set him up with a pair of speakers after he got himself a Fosi Class-D amp so he could listen to his old vinyl. One evening I got a text that his daughter went nuts playing Thriller and blew up my speakers.

So I went over the next afternoon to recover the speakers to see if they were repairable. They sounded as good as ever. The next weekend I took over a different pair of 2-ways to show him that Thriller and his daughter blew up his amp.

Steve_Leejhollanderjr@macSilver1omo6thplanet
  • I know this strayed from the OT, but I just want to give an honorable mention to a band I just heard for the first time the other day called 49 Winchester. They do a lot of old-timey country music, and it is very well recorded with a lot of dynamic range.

Here is a screenshot of the waveform of one track off of the album "Fortune Favors The Bold"

Turn2
    I have a signature.
  • No nasty peaks - well applied compression, JR?

• @Steve_Lee said:
    No nasty peaks - well applied compression, JR?

Well mastered in general. Foobar DR plugin claims album average of DR8.

I have a signature.
  • Dynamics look really good - got a link to the final track we can listen-too, Sir?

• @Steve_Lee said:
    Dynamics look really good - got a link to the final track we can listen-too, Sir?

That's just one track off of the album. They have a YouTube channel.

I have a signature.
  • edited February 2023

You Tube link for those interested -->

I strongly suspect that the Russell County Line is where the beer store is located.

• I just came across Polyphia, they sound great:

Steve_Lee
  • Polyphia is just okay, cuz Plini is much better.

• Here's a quarter Ben. Go downtown and buy a rat to teach you some tact...

Steve_LeeDrewsBrewsMartyH
  • Not an album but it amazes me how good some of these Tiny Desk videos sound and this one does not dissapoint!
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=oxo-loXdcH0

Steve_LeeTurn2Ron_E
  • @squamishdroc said:
    Not an album but it amazes me how good some of these Tiny Desk videos sound and this one does not dissapoint!

There are some nice gigs from Sheryl Crow, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Lucinda Williams among others. I really enjoy them; sound is usually good, considering YouTube limitations.

Geoff

• The Tedeschi Trucks Band is awesome. That Gal has some serious vocal pipes!

There is a show on American cable TV (Axis TV channel I think) that is called something like "Live from Darryl's House". It's Darryl Hall from Hall and Oats. He has some fantastic people there that he and his house band jams with. I was totally enjoying Tommy Shaw from Styx.

Billet6thplanetjhollander
  • That's on late on digital rabbit ears too. I've never caught it myself, but some family members have.

• My wife can cover Tedeschi like a boss.

I have a signature.
  • Peter Gabriel's Definitive Collection is very well produced.

• I love Live from Darryl's House! "Leaving" by Shelby Lynne is so much better than the album version.

• Yeah, cool show🤘🏼

PWRRYD
  • edited March 2023

@PWRRYD said:
    The Tedeschi Trucks Band is awesome. That Gal has some serious vocal pipes!

Late last year TTB released their 2 hour/4 part I am the Moon series direct to YouTube. Hi-Res download is available on Bandcamp. Rick Beato had an hour with Derek Trucks where they talked about the recording and life during COVID here:

jr@macPWRRYDsquamishdroc