Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Quickie - introducing "Ersatz"...

2»

Comments

• Yeah my experience with bargain bin drivers tells me to buy three of each.

The $18 mid CD on my faux pas build.. I bought three to have a spare. One was way off. I think there was too much glue on the phase plug. Hopefully the diaphragm is still good.

The $20 12" I used.. One came with the dust cap way off center. The effort and cost would be too much to worry about sending back. I ordered another.

• I've had these issues on drivers across many price points.

I have a signature.
  • So we got about four hours on them last night, and they have really warmed up. The one woofer was not broken in, so yeah. When I first fired up the stereo pair yesterday morning,Jack Blades vocals on "Goodbye" had a nasal quality not present when I was doing my mono voicing with the single speaker. I replayed the track later last night, and it had locked in to where it needed to be. Similar with Tracy Chapmans excellent debut album - there was a glare that was annoying and it sounded overly bright (which this album should never sound either way) - that disappeared as well.

The bass is as legit as any other 5" design and has arguably more overhead than most in this size class due to the extremely long throw design of the woofer. On Powertrips excellent torture track "Manifest Destiny" (those of you who have heard my designs at Iowa are familiar with the track, and it made an appearance at Indy last year on the theme build) it did not reproduce the bottom octave of course, but it also did not shit the bed at high volume. It was absolutely taking the punishment.

Anyways, enough voicing "secrets". Overall, I am now happy with the general performance and as soon as the other two tweeters get here I will see what can be done to lock in the imaging.

I have a signature.

• That's right...

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • IYKYN

I have a signature.
  • I was expecting K-pop to blast from those. but I guess that works. eheh

• FWIW they handled Barbie Girl at Iowa levels pretty well.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    FWIW they handled Barbie Girl at Iowa levels pretty well.

And that's all that matters!!!!

6thplanet
  • Damn...now that song is stuck in head!!

Turn2jr@mac