Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Quickie - introducing "Ersatz"...

...it looks high-end, but is it? We'll find out. AliExpress drivers that talk the talk but probably don't walk the walk:

0.32 cubes give or take, here is the modeled extension (with 0.5ohm series resistance):

This woofer has 8MM of overhang xmax and is built like a tank. If it has anything approaching a linear response it will be fun.

Cabinets are 9"W x 11.5"H x 9.5"D (I think) - just how things had to be based on scraps I had sitting around. 6" diameter woofer and 110mm tweeter (sorry for the mixed measurement systems). WIll leave room for large roundover on sides but not really top and bottom.

Anyways, already glued up (had a busy sawdust day) and will hopefully do driver cutouts tomorrow.

I am oddly excited about this project, stay tuned.

I have a signature.
ugly_woofertajanesSteve_LeeSilver1omoScottSrjj454thtry

Comments

• I did get cabinets glued up yesterday before I got bored with speakerbuilding and had to indulge my other hobby which is day drinking.

hifisideScottSSteve_LeeSilver1omo
    I have a signature.
  • Will be kind of squat like the Sugar Cubes ended up - I think I like that look to be honest.

hifisideSteve_Lee4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • Due to family things, no progress on these for now.

I have a signature.
  • I do have these highish end looking terminals I will be using:

Steve_Leeugly_woofertajanes4thtrykenrhodesjhollander
    I have a signature.
  • ugly_wooferhifisidesilverDkenrhodesWolfSteve_LeejhollanderColonel76thplanettajanesand 1 other.
    I have a signature.
  • I think you can check those in your luggage

hifisidejr@mac
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Haha, they certainly look that way but they are a little larger than that.

I have a signature.
  • Some shots showing the driver cutouts.

The tweeter is a Seas knockoff, down to the hex grid protecting the dome and the scooped rear chamber:

The Rival 5" CF pair I have left will also fit and model well so worst case.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    Some shots showing the driver cutouts.

Now you are just showin' off- ha

• @tajanes said:

@jr@mac said:
    Some shots showing the driver cutouts.

Now you are just showin' off- ha

I credit the metric jasper jig, to be honest.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:

Sure. But I've found I'm 'good' with both underestimating and overestimating gasket compression...

6thplanetSteve_LeeTurn2DrewsBrews
  • @tajanes said:

@jr@mac said:

Sure. But I've found I'm 'good' with both underestimating and overestimating gasket compression...

Ain't that the truth.

I have a signature.

• Time for measurements.

Silver1omokenrhodes4thtryjoeybuttshifiside
    I have a signature.
  • On baffle measurements

Woofer distortion

Tweeter distortion

FR curves

Since I have a metric fuckton of components here, I will be using some notches here and there. The tweeter, other than the breakup being in the audible (for some) range, is really the only complaint above 2K. The woofer looks really good, from a distortion and response perspective. I feel slightly less ripped off at this point. I think this will go together well. Target a 2-2.2k crossover and see what happens.

I have a signature.
  • Impedance in box.

I have a signature.
  • And just like that:

Have not tested this crossover, more of an exercise to see what is possible. As I said, I have a metric fuckton of components so I am not afraid to throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

It does exhibit my preferred downward spectral tilt and the asymmetrical slopes lead to some kind of reverse null anyways.

Steve_Leesquamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • And for the first arrival designers, this would make for a killer on-axis nearfield setup:

kenrhodesugly_wooferhifiside6thplanetSteve_LeeTurn2squamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • a4eaudio6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • Rev null also matches sim.

I have a signature.
  • I have a signature.
  • These are buttoned up, woke up early this morning so might as well do some DIY.

After mama is up and around, I'll do some final whoop whoops and then find a home for them.

I have a signature.
  • Impedance both samples, not too bad of consistency:

I have a signature.
  • ...and hence the name "Ersatz". They talk the talk, but really don't walk the walk. Tweeters are not closely matched, sadly.

I have a signature.
  • 1M/96db Distortion of one sample:

Both drivers are stretching their limits hence the peak in 3rd order distortion. Otherwise the tweeter is very low distortion, good motor - pity about the consistency issues. Oh well.

Woofer has pretty average distortion but that is the tradeoff I suppose for 8mm of Xmax on a 5" driver. Lot of voice coil there. If I ever frag it, I will take it apart and see what is what in there.

I have a signature.
  • Listening anyways. Maybe some breaking time will mellow the one tweeter.

They sound good enough, I suppose.

6thplanetugly_wooferNicholas_23tajanessquamishdrochifiside4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • Nice little units👍🏼

jr@mac
  • These are not very forgiving, to be honest. The bass is fairly legit for only extending in to the upper 50's. If there is a glare in the recording, there is a glare on the speakers. Usually I voice for a more relaxed sound, so these are definitely not my normal taste.

They are eventually going in the bar, corner loaded which will fatten them up quite a bit. I have a Yamahammer AVR I will use for them.

I have a signature.
  • As I am a certified idiot, I bought two more of these tweeters in an attempt to find a matched pair. Further listening has bothered me a bit with the soundstage pulling to one side due to the mismatch in sensitivity. I am hoping one or the other is an outlier and I do not end up with four different tweeters lol. They are less than $30/each and if I can end up with two more or less matched pairs that will make me happy. They are good performing otherwise, and listening to one or the other speaker they sound just fine. As a pair, though, there is a little to be desired.

I have a signature.
  • edited April 2023

...and just for giggles since I depend on transfer functions to help guide me.

I have a signature.
  • I had a pair of RS28AS that were pretty much mismatched like that. I ended up having to customize right vs left xo to get the sound stage correct. In the end they sounded very good.