Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Comments

• It's pretty cool looking. Frequency response is smooth, but I wonder what the off axis looks like.

• just bogart the center seat...

DanPSteve_Lee6thplanet
  • I’m gonna add some wings to my IEC baffle and I guess we’ll see what the off axis is.

• edited June 2023

I think I stumbled on a bunch of their drivers a while ago on Amazon. Lii audio does ring a bell.

That sort of stuff doesn't seem to get much love around here. I've always been interested in single driver setups. I have a pair of W8-2145s waiting for a set of unfinished TQWPs to put em in... Won't have space for em until I get around to finishing the upstairs of my house. Sofar those SB 8"ers are the only thing I've gotten much listening time with.

• Hahaha, act now it's on sale for only $999! Each.

• I got them so cheap I couldn’t pass it up.

• You mean $999 isn't cheap? WTF :p

6thplanet
  • edited June 2023

@ugly_woofer said:
    You mean $999 isn't cheap? WTF :p

No. No way I could spend that on those. Not enough trust in specs being right.

• Wow. Top notch packaging.

ugly_wooferSteve_Lee
  • There have been a few reviews that gush over those drivers. I would love to see real measurements and hear what they sound like myself.

• If you place the drivers too close to each other do the exteneded pole pieces start glowing and sleestaks start appearing from nowhere?

hifiside6thplanet
  • That’s the “Crystal” in crystal-10. 😂

• @PWRRYD said:
    sleestaks

LOL, blast from the past.
    =)

PWRRYD
  • Are your two different screen shots of the DAT's T/S parameters of the two different drivers? If so I say there is no way both drivers have the same exact Fs and Mms.

• Yes. #1driver and #2 driver. The dats is very close to one another.

• The measurements are what they are, I didn’t pay much for the pair and I knew what I was getting into before I purchased them. I’ve had my eyes on this brand for a couple years as they are a China brand and I have access to them. First things first the bad parts about the speakers is the coating looks and feels like your typical Chinese coating and if you ever ordered anything from China you understand what I mean when you put a screw in it and it chips right away that’s what this stuff looks like, second is the voice coil is too short if there’s any amount of excursion, it will jump out of the gap in no time, I’m talking less than probably 6 mm it will be out of the gap. I am very happy with the purchase so we’ll see what they do. I’m gonna build some plates for my IEC baffle and will look at those measurements.

• @a4eaudio said:

@PWRRYD said:
    sleestaks

LOL, blast from the past.
    =)

I was probably only 5 or 6 when that show was on Saturday mornings... but those sleestaks scared the heck out of me even though they moved at about 1 mph lol

• Sorry Brad, back on topic for your thread :#

hifiside
  • I bet their sound is "crystal" clear. Haha.
    I am interested see how these sound.

• Sounds typical for wideband. I don't pretend to understand all that is done to do what they do, but sacrifices must be made to walk that fine line.

• When I see that measured response of these, I can't understand how they would sound good. It seems like a lot of people like them though.

Steve_Lee
  • edited June 2023

I'm sorry to be so blunt in this comment but... Crikey, that frequency response plot looks horrible above 1k Hz. There is a massive amount of beaming going on above 5k or 6kHz, so the sweet spot will be teeny tiny. Also the distortion plot shows the level to be above 1% for all frequencies above 200Hz with some peaks of up to about 10% distortion. TBH, this screams $9 driver more than $999 driver.

6thplanetSteve_Lee

• I added a couple notch filters just to so I could listen to it. I’m glad I only paid 300 bucks a pair shipped for these. But everything about the screens China. They always lie about the FR. I have no clue what other people see in these I don’t think anyone’s ever tested them.

• So if you see these on eBay for sale, mind your own damn business lol

kenrhodesjr@macSteve_Lee6thplanet4thtryjhollandersquamishdroc
  • Before you sell we need a side by side comparison with their closest competitor:
    https://www.parts-express.com/GRS-8FR-8-Full-Range-8-Speaker-Pioneer-Type-B20FU20-51FW-292-430?quantity=1

Steve_Lee4thtry
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • That SB 8 inch is looking really good right now.

Steve_Lee